Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad

Fast out the gates on this one, Toby. All the work learning licks is clearly paying off to get the notes and bends down. The tone sounded pretty good as well.

James n Trevor thanks for the comments, its encouraging feedback. :sunglasses:

1 Like

:rofl: yeah I wanted to get an early reference point as it came together quite quickly, from an end to end perspective and as Rick kinda said, polishable, if there is such a word ! And for sure the lick work and especially the “diary melanges” I’ve done helps me to see where I am going more easily. As for tone that’s my stock clean practice tone. Its a HiWatt 100 DR103 model on the Mustang and my go to Diablo setting (everything on 6). I just have Overdrive, Reverb and Modulation available when needed. But it sounds much better with the LP and tone right down. But I plan to search my Fuse archive for Greenie Preset. Bound to be one.

Poked around with this enough today, so now off in another direction this evening.
Reckon you will enjoy it when work and power allows.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

I made a start last night, just the first couple of licks. Lots to learn and develop just on the first lick, the bend, dip, vibrato. Tone is interesting, I liked the sound on the G string, but the B string lacks the same warmth.

Look forward to you playing this over the BT.

1 Like

May be a while before I hit the BT but plan to use the gtr track to get closer on the lick timing and feel. Drop it into Reaper so I can see the waveform and where I am falling short, as well audible comparisons.

Just break it down bit by bit and I am sure you’ll get there ! Have fun.

1 Like

Time to lower the bar …

I’m having fun trying to learn this. I’m currently focused on the first 4 licks, just really trying to play the notes and bends, not yet worrying about timing. Gotta start somewhere.

5 Likes

Definitely more than basic here Shane, cracking job for such a short time of practicing, well done mate! As you say few areas where bends were perhaps not exactly as the recording but they weren’t far off and more importantly they didn’t stop me from enjoying your effort. Well done!

1 Like

Good start David liked your upload and progress update! First bend was really good, just a slightly muted note at the end but nothing that can’t be worked on. Can I suggest working a bit on a tone here? I would just try to apply some sustain here to keep the note longer, atm I reckon you are purely clean on the amp and either using a compressor pedal or a patch should help with that :slight_smile: can’t wait for the next update this challenge is awesome!

2 Likes

I agree, this is a nice short solo but it holds some pretty difficult challenges. This was one of the first blues solos I ever tried to play and being honest about it I had never played it as well as I did on the one I put up on here. The biggest difference was that I played and recorded my own fairly simple backing track, this was in keeping with my less is often more principal.
I honestly think that it’s probably the best introduction to playing a blues solo you could choose because you learn the most important thing - to express feeling with your music.

1 Like

@adi_mrok
Thanks Adrian. Happy to have made a start and looking forward to developing this. Who knows, may end up having a crack at a vocal in time.

My options are a little … lot … limited, based on the amp I have and no pedals. I was playing it on a clean setting with a little reverb. I think the gain was quite low so could turn that up. Also perhaps try either a crunch or overdrive voicing. I can also look at the pre-sets and see if there is anything that sounds better.

I’d have more options if I was recording through Reaper and able to use Waves GTR to shape tone. That’s usually how I produce my original songs using the electric. Perhaps down the line when I get it to a reasonable standard over a BT, then I’ll make a final recording that way.

But that’s a good ways off … better bends, consistency, reduce string noise, and timing … DP the Tortoise is in the house on this one.

1 Like

Glad to see you joining the band David. Good job.

1 Like

Shane

Did not get a chance to listen yesterday, especially as the “new” thread was morphing into existence! Thought this was a really good start, certainly got the lines down pretty well and the feel. Also sounded good over the BT, coming along nicely.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

David

Good to see you stepping out ! Very good start and good idea to break it down into smaller chunks, I tend to work on a phrase at at time and build from there. Licks are coming together well and the bends are an improvement and shows the work you have been doing is paying off. Some nice touches as well. Timing will come with practice and repetition.

Looking forward to see/hear the progress.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner @batwoman

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support.

I know I am like a stuck record, but can’t say enough how much being able to learn with friends who are always encouraging and supportive plus pointing out things to focus on, means to me. It is perhaps going to far to say I’d have certainly fallen off the horse and given up without it, but the chances would have been good.

1 Like

That sounds really nice David!

1 Like

@RobDickinson Thanks Rob, appreciate that.

@DavidP
It’s coming along David. You’ve made a good start to this one.
I think you’re right to keep the tone/effects simple. Don’t over complicate things.
Stop Messin’ Round and Shake Your Moneymaker! :sunglasses:

David, I would suggest trying the crunch channel and wind your guitar volume down until it just stops breakup, set your gain at 12 O’clock eq on 12 and the American/UK to about 3 O’clock, You might have to find the best pickup/pickups to use (including Coil split) I used mid position but on P90’s.

1 Like

I couldnt get much effects on my acoustic :confused:

@DavidP when practicing the bends (I know its damned hard) if you are on fret 12 and have a 1 stop bend its the 14th fret note, play that note try and remember its pitch and then bend the 12 up to that pitch, then remember how much you had to push the string

Now bend the string and play the note (not before) then check against the 14th fret note, and adjust until you have it right. it kills your fingers though!

1 Like

@DarrellW Thanks Darrell, I’ll give that a go. I have been finding that I love the tone on the first two notes of the first lick on the G string, but don’t like the tone on the notes on the B string as much. The B string seems thinner somehow. Maybe that is to do with the higher pitch of the notes, don’t know?

@RobDickinson Thanks Rob. I think my biggest hurdle is not enough hours of practice :grimacing: I do follow the reference note approach plus try and apply bends on licks that are well ingrained in my memory, like the Smoke on the Water riff, and I use a pitch meter as well. I think fair to say that I have got better at hitting the pitch on my bends, at least getting closer, close enough. And it will keep getting better if/when/as I put more hours in more frequently. And learning this solo is a fun way to put in those hard yards.