Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad

Welcome to the Guitar Challenges. Each ‘challenge’ is basically an open invitation to anyone and everyone to play a song, an improvisation, a study-piece etc and post a recording – just for the fun of it.

So, whether you are a relative beginner learning the basic chords and strumming pattern of a song, a more experienced player adding a little fancy fretwork, if you want to do a little finger-picking, or you want to sing and play at the same time … you can join in with these challenges.

Important:

• The challenge is to yourself.
  • These are not competition threads.
  • There are no prizes for making the ‘best’ recordings.
  • There is no shame for being at the beginner stages.
  • This is for FUN!

:slight_smile:

If you do want some constructive advice and feedback on your playing then that is cool. Just ask. Otherwise this is all about positivity, encouragement and having a go.

This challenge is prompted by a number of people learning the solo from the song Need Your Love So Bad (Justin’s lesson here) and either playing the solo or learning some of the licks and using them in some improvisation over a backing track. All recordings are welcome, from basic work-in-progress recordings to full-blown versions.

Have fun.

Recordings

1. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #2 by sclay
  2. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #13 by DarrellW
  3. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #29 by RobDickinson
  4. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #37 by TheMadman_tobyjenner Day 1 & 2 recordings
  5. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #62 by DavidP - first recording of just the first 4 licks
  6. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #81 by DavidP First session playing the whole solo
  7. Guitar Challenge (Lead Guitar) - Need Your Love So Bad - #100 by adi_mrok
2 Likes

Here’s where Im at with Peter Greens intro solo to Need Your Love So Bad.
Any feedback, tips appreciated.
(Dont usually post just audio, but a planned power outage here atm, and not worth getting all my stuff out).

Cheers, Shane

Listen to Peter Green.mp3 by sclay on #SoundCloud

9 Likes

That’s really good, well done

Well on track, Shane. Sounds good over the BT. My musical memory of the solo not clear enough on this one, nor my ears sufficiently sensitive and well calibrated, to give really specific feedback on the timing and articulation, and accuracy of bends. All I can say is that even without the BT it would be immediately recognisable.

Shane you play with so much emotion and quiet purpose, leading the listener along on a journey of introspection. This is intense in a good way. Love your timing, love all of it.

Really cool and controlled playing Shane.
Impressive stuff.
:sunglasses:

Hi Shane,
Nice :sunglasses: :sunglasses:,

And to think that this is just the beginning… :smiley:
Im impressed too,
Greetings

Much appreciated Maggie. Your kind words and ongoing encouragement mean alot to me. :purple_heart:

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words Richard. Means a lot mate. Work to do in a few areas there, but feel like I’ve got the basics down OK.

Cheers, Shane

Thanks Roger. Much aporeciated mate.
Cheers, Shane

Great song song, great intro & I thought you did it a ton of justice. The bends sounded good to me too, but I’m no expert.

1 Like

@sclay
Shane, you originally posted up in the Guitar Challenges sub-category. We’ve done a little soft shoe shuffle since then to allow Richard to create the new challenge Topic and I’ve added yours to the Topic.

Once again, sounding really good.

1 Like

Well, if I can do it……

5 Likes

Haha, you don’t know how long it took me to get it presentable :joy:
Seriously, it’s a great one to challenge yourself with, it’s not too long but it really needs you to feel it rather than just play the notes - anyone can play the notes but to get that magic out of it is something else. Learn the notes first so you know them intimately and then go for adding the feeling - it will take a while!

3 Likes

I can imagine and I’m sure it may take me as long and as likely as not be less presentable.

No worries on that score, it will be fun to work on it, irrespective of how well I may get to play it.

1 Like

Yeah there is some much subtlety with Greenie. Will be a challenge for jack hammer hands and fingers. But in for a penny !!

1 Like

Beautifully played Darrell!

1 Like

Hi Darrell,
I scrolled through this quickly, and because I read Kasper’s comment I looked up what he meant … BEAUTIFUL …
surely this also has another place where you can listen to this huh?..you can’t just hide this here,…must have a better place somewhere,…but I had it not heard yet…again, beautifully played :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :bouquet:
Greetings

1 Like

Darrell

Could not get this to play yesterday but had to download it. Very nice indeed sir. And I like the way you have continued past the solo to reflect the vocal melody. This will be a good comparison to measure progress.

Thanks for the share.

1 Like

That was lovely, Darrell, very expressive.

1 Like