Guitar Challenge - Play your favorite short lick or riff here!

Hi everybody, I’ve been playing with this idea for a long time.
A topic where everyone at whatever level of playing play`s their “pet” lick or there favorite lick at that moment and BY THEMSELVES,
The first time I heard Justin say “hey that seems your pet lick” that was to the captain before I even got here to the site…
Write out the lick afterward…or play it again very slowly after a good attempt…as far as I’m concerned, anything goes as long as you play it yourself :sunglasses:

I hope you wanna play :grin:

Greetings,Rogier

Also nice if you didn’t make it up yourself to mention who you “stole” that lick from,
Well, it would be nice if I started myself, but I’ll wait and see before I mow the lawn for someone’s feet.
Also a good exercise for beginners in making a very very very short video :smiley:

[mod edit … to insert the usual challenges blurb below]

Welcome to the Guitar Challenges. Each ‘challenge’ is basically an open invitation to anyone and everyone to play a song, an improvisation, a study-piece etc and post a recording – just for the fun of it.

So, whether you are a relative beginner learning the basic chords and strumming pattern of a song, a more experienced player adding a little fancy fretwork, if you want to do a little finger-picking, or you want to sing and play at the same time … you can join in with these challenges.

Important:

• The challenge is to yourself.
  • These are not competition threads.
  • There are no prizes for making the ‘best’ recordings.
  • There is no shame for being at the beginner stages.
  • This is for FUN!

:slight_smile:

If you do want some constructive advice and feedback on your playing then that is cool. Just ask. Otherwise this is all about positivity, encouragement and having a go.

20 Likes

I think this is a great idea, Rogier, and I look forward to the day I play enough improv that I have a favorite lick!! :slightly_smiling_face: I did re-start a few months ago, but as happens other things came up. I’ll get back to it, maybe using some of the favorite licks that other people post here!

2 Likes

I think that’s a pretty darn good idea too Rogier.

I ain’t got nothing worked up yet, and I’m being pretty slow about getting down to recording here as of late. But I do have me a lick in mind, one that I find pretty hard to play. Good thing about it is it’s only a few measures worth of lick.
So hopefully I can get around to recording it with all the mistakes I make and post it up, when I do it.
Great Idea!

1 Like

That’s a great idea, Rogier!
But no lick to present in my pocket yet :innocent:!

1 Like

The day will come when I will learn a lick, but until that day you’ll have to make do with this

Logo_the_John_Pasche_version

10 Likes

Thanks Girls and boys for the enthusiasm in the front ,very nice :smiley:

and now the licks …because … I didn’t want to wait any longer with this thread … my favorite lick for a long time has only been possible with my pinky, and even though it was weeks ago, some parts of the crash and especially the left side of my body and hand are not going as desired yet… So it’s a difficult lick, but I don’t set the bar too high (there is NO bar) .
Edit: I will post the the first recording take 1 of this afternoon because the sound I just listened to through the speakers is so much better than through my phone and I think there will be many more licks to follow from here :sunglasses:
Greetings, Rogier

For anyone who likes this and will play it a lot and become famous, don’t forget who you heard it from first :joy:… But this one comes from Justin who plays it in his Mayfield & Hendrix Rhythm Style licks lessons …
Many variations are possible … have fun with it :sunglasses:

29 Likes

Hard to point out a single fav lick and/or riff since that’s the majority of what I do. That said, I would probably link to this one:

31 Likes

Great initiative @roger_holland and good to see you leading the way. Very tasteful played sir.
Nice see Mr Impro following up close behind and laying down some cool 'coustic vibes. Equally well done @CT.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great idea!! Look forward to seeing some and putting one up at some point!!

1 Like

Fun thread!

I feel it’s way too early to have my own signature licks, so the only “lick” I know well for now is a little solo I’m practicing for a Mariachi Song (Para Siempre).
I like these little legatos in the line, probably will steal it for sure in the future:

28 Likes

Thanks Rogier, this is a great idea. Can share what I’m doing without giving too much away! (Don’t know why I don’t like sharing stuff I’ll perform in the future???)

One of a few licks found in Don’t look back in anger by Oasis.

Has gotten me acquainted with the C Major Pentatonic, based around this kind of (box) you may call it…

Justin has a lesson but it’s for one guitar, https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/oasis-don-t-look-back-in-anger-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-sb-312
I’ve recently had the opportunity to collaborate with others at our local open mic so I’m playing the lead parts. It’s a new challenge!

Long way to go on the solo, keeping me busy.

22 Likes

Now, what a cunning plan @roger_holland !
Don’t chase the licks…bring the licks to you.
Genius! :+1::rofl:

Seriously though, it’s a great, fun idea. Short, sweet, and likely lots of variety. And, importantly, could become a little library of inspiration for many.
Now, to choose one or two…:thinking:
Good stuff Roger.

Cheers Shane

3 Likes

This sounds fun, great idea Rogier! And also some pretty cool riffs and licks so far. Been ages since there was a challenge, and now one I can participate :smiley:

Here’s one I’ve been mucking around with. A Hendrix style lick from Weezer. Anyone else like Weezer?

28 Likes

Good stuff JK.
At first I thought it was the intro lick to Say it ain’t so but no. Which song?
Love me a bit of Weezer :grinning:
Hash Pipe is my favourite on the radio but for visuals you just can’t beat the genius of Buddy Holly :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello, how nice that you are so enthusiastic, and that @Richard_close2u Richard has made it a Challenge :sunglasses: so yes agree @jkahn . just a few things ,I’m not going to completely fill this up with my sentences and words (I hope :roll_eyes:)

No, it’s the pet lick of the moment or maybe the day and as far as I’m concerned that hour and you just learned your first lick, but I noticed with those few videos of mine that I already heard some “regular” things coming back …Ps : nice :sunglasses:

:joy:
I have never made a lick book and sometimes I miss it and quickly forget a lot of licks so this seemed like a good alternative :sweat_smile: and I have already seen something that I liked to learn and start to look at better soon from someone hanging upside down in relation to my but I won’t say who
:laughing:
Greetings

Hi @brianlarsen …nice the first one I put in folder “guitar lesson” I have…But the thread is " Licks YOU PLAYED ":thinking: … One day and you’ve broken the rules …again… I’ll light a candle tonight for your former teachers :roll_eyes:
Greets

6 Likes

It most definitely is Say it ain’t so, it’s one of the lead fills - at about 49 seconds in the vid you linked. It is at the end of one of the main riffs after first chorus (which I also have been playing for a while, but hey, this is a one lick thread right?). You’re probably just used to hearing it over the rhythm guitar.

Say it ain’t so was one of my dreamer songs when I first started, and I’ve been piecing it together.

I saw Weezer live a couple of weeks ago. So good. I know so many of their lyrics by heart. Knowing you’re also a Weezer fan makes me want to learn a few more of their songs…

2 Likes

Ah, makes sense and restores my faith in occasionally stumbling on the right path :person_with_white_cane: :sunglasses:
Nice job and I look forward to when your dreams become reality :grinning:

2 Likes

Some lush licks going on in here.

Great idea Rogier and when I find something lickable I’ll post it right on in here.

1 Like

Every time I say ‘B’ I mean ‘Bb’ :slight_smile:
Paul.

30 Likes