Guitar Challenges (Songs) - Is There Anybody Out There? (Pink Floyd)

O…I hope I don’t make a weird mistake, but for me the tab says …first the B5 and G5 then B3 and G4 then B1 and G2 then B0 and G0…and it sounds exactly the other way around on barr32…hopefully this is well explained :grimacing:

No, you’re correct: I did play it differently in that video. Whoops…sorry about that!

Now I’m wondering if I tabbed it wrong or if I unconsciously changed the way I played it. Going to have to go back to the original recording and see which way is correct.

:sweat_smile:
normally i never point out this sort of thing, but i’ve been practicing with this piece for a while, and see many adjustments, and i always adapt to the best players…but adjusting again find my finger memories really not cool anymore :grin:
Thanks for clearing this up

I’m glad you pointed it out. I was completely unaware that I changed the way I play it (or tabbed it wrong – I’ll figure out which later this evening).

Nice that I could help a master…have a nice evening…Greetings

Thank you! Yep that last Am chord trips me up every time, I’ve also tried the open Am and 5th fret full barre but they don’t tend to sound as good

Thanks for the kind words Roger! I’ve tried this on electric and my fingers keep getting stuck :upside_down_face:

Thanks very much David!

Vey kind of you Dave! Thanks for the positive feedback

Thanks for the feedback JWC. Yep, that descending line has been a real headache for me and I have tried to play it the way you’ve shown with little success, so I just tried to simplify it for this video but agree it sounds much better with the slide down the strings. Thanks for sharing the tab, I’m going to isolate that section and work it over and over.

So here it is, freshly recorded:

Apologies for the volume being a bit low, I tried to adjust it in OBS as much as I could.

I may give the song another try, but I don’t think I’ll be able to play it any better on camera today.

Your comments are welcome :slight_smile:

11 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Content Loudness and headroom when recording for YT

Very nice @Jozsef , all the notes ringing out clearly and fingerstyle very good (much better than my effort above :joy:). Practice, practice, practice and all the parts will come together. :+1: cheers, Mike

1 Like

Thank you, Mike :slight_smile:

You have subtlety in the way you contact the strings and hold the chords down Jozsef. The effect is quite magical, mystical even. Many of the sounds have the smoothness of whipped cream and colours like the pink wall behind you.

Elegant, so very elegant.

1 Like

Well done bud, took me ages to nail that last chord. Still struggle to get it clean.

Nice timing and clean sounding. Definitely one you can apply Justin’s ‘floating leaf’ lesson to. Hmm, what was the video called…

… found it. Flexing Time: The Falling Leaf | JustinGuitar.com

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words :slight_smile: During my practice sessions I found the overall sound is more pleasant if I pick the strings a bit less forcefully, so that they will not ring out too much and create a blur. Maybe an advantage of classical nylon string guitars is that the notes remain sort of distinct from each other.

Actually, when my room was painted, the colours reminded me of a plate of sour cherry soup :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, @liaty I’ve noticed that the new grade 3 lessons take a more holistic approach to playing, so I’ll definitely check this one. I tried to keep an even tempo that was neither too slow nor too fast (it felt much less than 2 minutes). Towards the end, after the C chords, I slowed down because those parts are so diffcult to get right with my eyes closed.

I mean, I don’t usually practice with my eyes closed, but last week I found I can pull it off with this one as it’s played in the same position almost all the way through. Normally, I can get that last chord perfect about 8 times out of 10 with closed eyes - well, this was not one of them :slight_smile:

You played that very well Jozsef, it’s not an easy piece and you coped with it well, a bit more practice will make the difference between it being good and great!

1 Like

You’re doing great, József. You’re playing this with good right and left hand technique, and I love how you closed your eyes and were really listening as you played. Just keep working the more difficult sections and you’ll soon have this flowing well. On the last “sliding up” part before the final chord, I’d suggest sliding from the C to the E on the second string (as you’re already doing), and then playing the A on the 1st string with a kind of roll or bar of your first finger, then the B with your third finger, and the C with your pinky. Then move your left/fretting hand up to play the final chord.

1 Like