Guitar cover stained my guitar body :(

Nonsense with 25% humidity or less, good luck with that in other countries.

In my eyes this should not happen and I would try to scare Amazon with going to solicitors and taking legal action against them. In the meantime I would seek a legal advice somewhere, I mean depending how much guitar was worth. If it’s a $200 one I would possibly just try to push them for a better compensation, but if guitar is over any value you find impacts your pocket a lot (let’s say $500 or more) I would give it a go.

Thanks. No man. I do not want to sue them, the guitar is worth more than 1000 US Dollars in my country. But better compensation at least to pay for the cleaning tools not a bad idea , Not sure how though

I mean respectfully to me $1000 is absolutely worth a fight, even if you need to pay to solicitor a small fee for legal advice it’s worth checking with them if they think you stand a chance to win. If you can they will do all the hard bits for you and you might not even show anywhere near the courtroom and get what you paid for your guitar originally and you can keep your existing instrument. Just saying I think you have some solid grounds here to go after them

@iguitaryou @adi_mrok

Maybe worth having a read of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GS3GYAU8JGDBGWH2

First I thought he just made a mistake when he advised that a guitar is better to be kept under 25% humidity, I told myself a person who claims he has 40 acoustic guitars would not make such a mistake so to confirm I asked him and he replied that was his personal experience. so he is not saying he made a mistake, guys what do you think?, Does he really have 40 acoustic guitars and keep them under 25% humidity?

Most experts and instrument manufacturers agree that an ideal relative humidity range of 40-50% is best for storing instruments. Anything less could cause wood to:

Shrink, lowering the top and strings, which causes even more stress and eventually cracking.A humidity level in excess of this range can cause wood to expand and warp from it’s original shape.

Those who live in arid climates like the southwest or frequently use air conditioning systems – which can lower humidity levels – may be especially vulnerable to low indoor humidity levels.

They know they are in the wrong so they are trying to put you off from trying.

He asks how I want to settle this problem.
Well in my case I do not want to make money or sue but I think he should find a solution for my guitar to become normal again, paying for cleaning tools whatsoever.
I have ordered MusicNomad MN152 Premium Guitar Detailer and when it arrives I will try

Can I ask him to put a warning in his amazon page so there won’t be other victims? As one condition that I will give up this case? This is not acceptable to destroy peoples guitar this way

I just check what the my guitar manual says. For storing the guitar they recommend 45-65% humidity. 25% sounds very wrong.

Personally first thing I would do is take it to a Luthier and ask what can be done to rectify the problem. Assuming something CAN be done Id get a price from them and then tell the seller that is what is required in order to fix the issue and they should pay for it.

1 Like

Contact Crimson Guitars - they make their own cleaners and finishes, and they have some really good knowledge.
They have a great youtube channel with lots of videos on cleaning, polishing etc, but a direct email will no doubt get some good advice.

Just because someone says they have 40 guitars does mean they are good quality or even solid wood. Also if all his guitars have poly finishes the covers he sell would stain them. A nitro finish like on Gibson and Martin is another story.

I bought this but did not help :frowning:

I think the biggest issue is that it could be a dye which is compatible with the finish of the guitar.
If a water-based dye was put over an oil finish, then removing it may take a bit of time and effort, but would be feasible.
If an oil-based dye is put on an oil-based guitar finish, then they can quite literally stick together.

My leather sofa had a guarantee to resist stains for about 8 years I think. What they don’t tell you is that dyes, like those found in denim or other clothes will happily sink into the leather and as they are dyes, not stains, getting them out is nigh on impossible.

As mentioned, check with a luthier or contact Crimson (well, they’re luthiers as well) and ask - it won’t cost anything to email or phone.

Then you can stick the boot in.

edit… I would also check out ways of fixing dyes - mordants can be bought for various types of dyes and materials, and even something as simple as hair-spray can do the job in some cases.

I’ve been lurking on this thread and would also just add this

…does not mean they actually have 40 guitars. That sounds like someone trying to out-experience you to put you off.

2 Likes

I contacted a Luthier he says the guitar needs to undergo sanding and refinishing :frowning:
I can’t imagine the very product that was supposed to protect my guitar has made such a damage
I need to take a day off my work now and spend money on car gas back and forth to another city to solve this issue and I am not sure how to approach the amazon seller for all these expenses.

Has the luthier given you a written estimate for repair? If so that’s your starting point. All you can do is contact the seller and say you’ve been to a professional and he’s given you this estimate. I suspect though you’ll struggle to get them to pay. You may just have to accept this as a bad experience and lesson learnt.

3 Likes

He just saw the picture I have to drive a long way to see him It is Martin customer service but looking at the picture he told me it might cost up to 400 US D today conversion rate
The funny thing is that the Amazon sellers says he contacted some:

Amazon seller:

After million calls back and fourth,
they truely belive that the dark coolor came from your elbow,
(They checked it with guitar builder worldwide that purchasibg it from them and its never happend to anyone - even the guitar builder claims that it comes from the poor finish)
I need your please with checking the warenty with your local store that you bought the guitar.
PLease also read the mail that we recived from the manufactorer.
Thanks

So if Martin are saying 400 USD then I’d suspect a more local luthier would probably/possibly be a lot less. On a guitar of what 1000 USD thats a lot to spend but I can understand if you like your guitar in a pristine condition.

Looks like you are going to get nowhere with the Amazon seller so unless there is a mechanism in Amazon to raise a claim ( I don’t think there is other than a refund option and this is not a clear cut case) OR you want to go down the legal route suggested by Adi then I think you are just going to have to accept it as bad luck and move on. Not sure there is any additional advice people can give here other than the DIY options which may improve the look OR might make it worse.

Eeeek I’ve never been able to get my house to 55% humidity. I have a little electronic temp/humidity gauge and it gets to 40% in the summer, and as low as single digits in the winter. Attempts to raise humidity when it gets low do nothing, and my heater/ac is even supposedly equipped with a humidity setting where it is supposed to detect humidity and adjust the airflow accordingly, or operate to a percentage that I set, and I never can tell if either setting works properly as it is always dry as a desert in my house.

Hi Stacy you should get a hygrometer and in case humidifiers for your guitars. 40% RH is in the good range for solid wood guitars, both acoustic and electric. When in gets below 35% if you can’t keep your house at that then put your guitar in their cases with in case humidifiers or humidipaks.