Guitar Strumming Tips

Wow, I really enjoyed this lesson. The strumming patterns really opened up a little door into the guitar world. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Strumming Machine helps to nail these patterns.

https://www.justinguitar.com/strumming-machine/12-12-02-12 :100:

1 Like

I am learning guitar for more than a year and make good progress. But I am still struggling with that counting technique. I tried it a lot but it confuses me every time to count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and …but to leave out strums then. What I am trying to say: For me it is easier to just say Down Down Up Up Down because when I do not say/think the 3rd Down my hand automatically leaves out that down strum. Is it really necessary to force myself to the proper counting technique? It just does not feel comfy for me and tenses my muscles.

1 Like

Well Michael @MB75Guitar , I do count every U and D, but I kind of ‘mute’ the strokes that I don’t want to strum. If you take ‘old faithful’ for example (D_DU_UD_), I go like ‘1 m 2 and m and 4 m’. Differentiating this way has been a huge help for me to overcome the problem you describe.

Of course, you can use any type of counting you like, so you could say ‘up, up, down, down’ instead of ‘1 and etc’. Just keep in mind that 1) ‘counting’ (as in ‘making a sound at’) every up and down will make it a lot easier token you rhythm, and 2) using numbers makes it a lot easier to count barres. So just saying ‘up, up, down, down’ will risk you getting lost in the rhythm and in the song. Therefore, I would advise you to try to find a way to actually count, and maybe try what I explained above.

Good luck!

1 Like

Worth checking out this thread

Especially when you get to 16th note rhythms

1 Like

You should learn how to count while playing. It’s a useful skill, not just for strumming patterns, but also for riffs, lead lines, etc., any rhythm. If you want to go beyond 8th note strumming, you will need to know how to count properly. Or, let’s say, knowing how to count properly will help a lot.

I know, I had same sensation when learning how to count. Sometimes, things worth learning don’t feel comfy.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and arguments. Ok, I will dive more into this and practice to count properly. I want to learn it right! :smiley:

I have another question to the more advanced players. How does it work at higher bpms? At a certain speed strums come faster as you can say or think the counts. And there are some very fast songs with 16th note strumming so I hardly believe someone can say “One e and e Two e and e…” and so on that fast. Do you always count when you play such songs either alone or in a band or does it just flow? Same when someone plays the guitar and sings at the same time. In this case the guitar play must be running in “automatic mode” as it is impossible to count and to sing at the same time.

1 Like

Ok, this lesson just really helped me. Justin said that he tends to only count the “Ands” when he plays them and everyone should do. If someone prefers to count all Ands this is also totally fine, it depends on the personal preference. And as a proof, earlier in this video he counts “One Two Three And Four”. So i will internalize that counting to go away from the DDUUDs…

1 Like

@MB75Guitar
Michael, as a practice exercise you could alternate between saying the count and the strum pattern.
So your D D U U D pattern would be -
1 2 and and 4
D D U U D
Alternating will help associate down strums with the beat and up strums with the off beat.

As Justin says, no need to say the count where there is no strum.
You should be tapping your foot on every beat even if there’s no strum. So tap on beat 3 as well, in between the two ups.

1 Like

You would only count this out loud if and when you are playing all eight strums in a bar.

… For me it is easier to just say Down Down Up Up Down

That is exactly what you should / would be saying out loud as your count when playing the Old Faithful pattern.

Say what you play and play what you say.

Richard, one more thing. In music, doesn’t downbeat refer to the first beat of a measure? Yet here Justin seems to refer to all four beats as a downbeat.

When it comes to the physical act of strumming guitar, DOWN happens four times in every bar, on the quarter beats.
Even if a player is only going to strike the strings once per bar, say on the count of 1, the best habit to create is still to move the arm four times to coincide with the quarter beats, DOWN on each. Necessarily, UP happens between those beats which is where the & counts reside and lead to counting 8ths.

I understand the mechanics of strumming in accordance with the strumming pattern. I was only referring to the use of the word “downbeat” here. Was this intentional or a mistake? I looked up the terminology and it always seems to describe downbeat as the first beat in a measure. But Justin refers to all beats (1,2,3,4) as downbeats. @0:42.

I’m asking because I’m confused by the term “downbeat” in music theory. Does it always only refer to only the first beat or can it refer to all the beats in a measure. Please describe different cases and how this is used.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Dante, maybe worth checking out this post and associated thread.

Ok, I can strum several different patterns and even mix and match them within songs and vary tempo and soft and loud, I play with the backing tracks and listen to and use the other instruments for timing. BUT if I even try to move my foot I may as well burn the guitar and go get a set of spoons!
How the heck do you train the feet to stay in rhythm?

1 Like

Don’t stress man. If you’re internal rhythm is solid, and on the money, then tapping your foot, or whatever else is incidental.
I’ve never really been a foot tapper.

Cheers, Shane

Craig @Towerguy
Tapping you feet is just one of those things with most people just happens after a while. I couldn’t play, sing and tap my foot at the same time until one day I just noticed I was, without thinking about it.
Michael

Thanks for the link. Even in the video as I understand he seems to only refer to the first beat as the downbeat, and not all beats right?

I looked this up and it is called the downbeat because, traditionally, a conductor’s baton/hand moves downward on this beat. In a measure of 4/4 time only the first beat is considered the downbeat. The other beats within the measure are simply referred to as beats.

But I still need some clarification on this.

@Richard_close2u Any updates on this from Justin? Thanks.

I haven’t asked Justin for comment in truth. I hesitate to do it now, knowing that he has he has come back to work following parental leave and a family holiday to a huge backlog of work.
As mentioned, THE downbeat, if there is an insistence that each bar of music has only one such, is the first beat and is when a conductor would move the baton in the downwards motion.
Then there are other names - on beat, off beat, back beat etc. There are some widely accepted conventions.