Guitar Time with Rod is booked!

My idea moved into reality today. Not far from where I live is a retirement home. I had wondered if they might like a guitarist playing a short time for whatever residents showed up during the week. Strictly volunteer, I get the practice prepping and playing live and they get a new no cost to them activity!

I have recently been working some of my practice songs in various finger style patterns. Still not ready to sing to that yet but I can play most of my stuff pretty much all through just about any song I’ve worked up strumming in finger style now.

Now I have some variety to a set comprised of strummed and finger style. I picked out about 7 pieces and my plan is go totally instrumental. I figured they might like some mellow guitar before or after lunch in whatever room they would put me, kind of like background music where folks could listen or chat. Very low key. So been practicing that set about two weeks and it’s about 30 minutes or so.

Well I walked in there today and pitched it to the activities director and they were Go! So May 10 next week I’m in the lunch room 30 minutes before lunchtime for Guitar Time with Rod. I told them let’s maybe do once a week for 2-3 weeks and see what folks say and if they like it we’ll continue and if not they just tell me and I’ll find another audience :grin:.

Going with the acoustic and my Spark Mini amp to give it a little volume and we’ll see what happens! Will keep you posted….Rod

31 Likes

Rod @Rod58, you’ve brought tears to my eyes. I just got off the phone with my 84-year old mom, who is currently in a post-acute (rehab) facility. She would love something like this. I expect you will be a hit - especially with the ladies! (Hope I can say that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

2 Likes

What a great thing to do. I imagine you’ll bring loads of enjoyment to these folks with your performing for them. Two thumbs up.

3 Likes

Hey Rod,

Great idea mate - providing a great time for the older folk, and expanding your horizons. Its definitely a win/ win.
And from what I know of your playing, and personable demeanour, you’ll be a hit, especially with the ladies.
Just watch out for any flyin bras or knickers. Some of them old birds can get a bit wild. :rofl::rofl::love_you_gesture:

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Having been a carer for many years for the elderly with dementia etc, head injured youth, disabled and so on, I can tell you that they will absolutely love it. What a beautiful thing you’re doing for them. :heart:

3 Likes

Rod they will absolutely love it I have done some rock and roll, and line dancing in age care facilities and they really loved it try and sing some of the older song for them and they may sing along with you thumbs up to you :grinning::+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

What a great idea Rod. I’m sure they’ll love it, I mean who wouldn’t? And what a great confidence builder as well.

Good luck with it and I hope someone will be going along with you to do some recording? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on you, Rod :smiley:
My mum is in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s and enjoys the concerts they sometimes put on.
I’d be afraid of future legal action, accusing me of ‘elder abuse’ :rofl:

2 Likes

What a terrific idea Rod, win win all around and a lovely opportunity to give back. I can’t wait to hear how next week’s show goes!

Dare you to drop a death metal track in at some point :wink:

Big thumbs up from me to a big hearted Rod :+1:

2 Likes

This is fantastic :blush: a lovely thing to do and I’m sure a great time will be had by all :v:

1 Like

A fantastic thing to do, maybe the audience will do the vocals for you. Good luck.

1 Like

Rod, that sounds fantastic. Absolutely brilliant idea :star_struck: .

And I’m very much with @annbin regarding singing older songs your audience might know and love. Maybe you want to give it a try as well. My grandma always loved to sing the hits of her time :blush: .

I’m looking forward to hearing how your first gig went :smiley: .

2 Likes

Rod, what a fantastic thing you are doing. You are going to bring so much joy to so many people. I can’t say thank you enough to you and anyone else who has ever done this.
As I’m typing this in I have tears in my eyes thinking back to my mom. Towards the end with dementia taking its toll, she had become non-verbal and it was so heartbreaking for someone who was so energetic desend so far. However, one afternoon a lone guitar player with a beat-up old acoustic came in and played some of the old songs she loved. Then the magic happened, she started to sing along, words she knew by heart and had sung for so many years. The experience was such a joy for us both and that memory is one of my favourites from a very difficult time.

All the best,
Glen

4 Likes

What a great idea, Rod. Have fun, and I’m sure the elders will really enjoy it too!

1 Like

Hi Rod,
fantastic :sunglasses: .
In and around my hometown there are a few friends and acquaintances who are active in a musician’s carousel who perform in various elderly care homes … it’s a matter of time that I also play between them with small regularity, at least with a piano/singer player not alone :sweat_smile:
Greetings and have fun learning old songs :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Fantastic idea Rod and I wish you all the best with this venture. I am sure your listeners will love it!!

1 Like

Rod that sounds like a fab idea, good on you for stepping out with your music out in the world but also for giving elderly people some fun activity to attend to. Awesome! Please do share some stories after your performance, very keen to read a follow up history!

1 Like

Great!

Love the idea; an ideal ramp up to move into live performances with a gradual build up in expectation management.

Remember what I have thought you padawan and all will be good! :wink:

You might not be singing but you could do a bit of storytelling either way; it could be anything; about you, about why you chose these songs, what memories and nostalgie they trigger for you etc.

Keep us posted!
#proud

1 Like

Awesome! Keep the good work up!

1 Like

That’s crazy awesome!!! Well done

2 Likes