Half the World Away - My First AVOYP

Aw @jkahn thank you so much! You’ve filled me with confidence, you! Busking? Well that’s the next step right, but it’s oh so scary!

You’re right, I think the next step is to perform for you guys…live! I’ll see if I can muster up the courage. :grinning:

Thank you so much for the encouragement and support, you are awesome.

@roger_holland Thank you so much! Gees, I was proper scared to come on here and post. I don’t know why but I just built it up in my head. I read somewhere once that when we sing, our false vocal folds open up and that’s why we feel vulnerable singing. It’s ridiculous because I’m a voice actor so you’d think I’d have no problem. But singing and playing music - gees, it was a hurdle. But look…I did it! And can’t thank you enough for the encouragement and support. :grinning: Thank you

1 Like

Oh wow, you liked the laugh? Oh good! Yeah, I actually did 3 takes. The first take, the vocals were too overpowering, this was the second take and the third take my fingers stopped working. I don’t know about you but I seem to lose it after playing the same song thrice!

Thank you so much for the support @SgtColon - really looking forward to seeing your videos too. :grinning:

1 Like

Laughing maybe not, but pulling faces I think is a requirement for everyone in every song!! :wink:

I’d second others comments here btw and encourage looking at performing at an Open Mic, I’ve no doubt you’d absolutely knock it out of the park, and as an experience for you as a player it’s a real positive game changer. That’s actually where my history with this tune comes from, it was what I played at my first OM, albeit not as well as you’ve put up here :rofl:

Hi Liane and welcome to AVOYP,
Very well sung and played! At the start you looked like a dam about to burst, waiting to sing was ready to come forth! You have a very nice voice on vox. You keep a good beat… Nice stuff all around. I like the accents on your play!

Keep up the good vibe and be well,
LB

Hi Liane

What a debut! I enjoyed your performance- nice vocals and great guitar playing. Look forward to your next performance.

1 Like

That was bloody good! I like the laugh at the end - was that the relief of getting the first video ever done?

1 Like

Really nice performance. You come across as being comfortable, confident in playing and vocal. The little fluff and laugh at the end just added to fun watch and listen.

Absolutely not, I remember your Half the World Away and it was awesome! It was an electric one, if I remember correctly?

Yeah, you’re right, it’s so important to get as much experience as possible performing in front of others. And boy am I glad I did it with the support of lovely guitarists like you. :grinning:

@LBro you legend! Thank you so much, your kind words are propelling me forward! :grinning:

Thank you so much @oldhead49! When anything happens on stage, one must acknowledge it, right?! Thank you for your support, means the world! :grinning:

Haha, you know what, I think it was! I think I forgot to stay in the moment and though, waaaah, end of song!! Big lesson for me there!

You’re too kind Liane-Rose, but thank you :pray::wink:
You’re absolutely right it was on my electric, sounds lovely on acoustic, especially yours! Please do keep ‘em coming, your energy is infectious!

1 Like

Hey Buncey,

I’m a big oasis fan, so I was excited to hear your cover.

I love how you broke it apart, switching from finger-picking to strumming, it gave the song some nice dynamics.

You have a bright, happy, and carefree vibe which could be felt in both the guitar and your vocals. This made it all the more enjoyable.

The blank backdrop made you the focus of the performance, great choice. Also sitting slightly off center also makes for better framing, good choice there as well.

Cheers on your first AVOYP post!

1 Like

I’ve not quite got the hang of my electric - probably because I’m terrible playing with plectrums! So yeah, an electric Half the World Away is something I definitely can’t do. :wink:

Aw, thank you! I’m really looking forward to checking out your vids too! :grinning:

1 Like

Aw @Talk_Tonight! Praise from a big O’sis fan?! You’ve made my day!

Thank you so much for your kind comments, they’ve really made me feel encouraged. Especially as I was feeling dead nervous coming on here and sharing with you all.

Glad you dug my self tape set up too, Oh yeah, love setting up cameras and adhering to the rule of thirds. :wink:

Really really incredible :clap::clap:. you got it everything right.

First the tech stuff: A really good set up with a clean background that contrasts great with your guitar. A good video quality image and great sound too.

Now into playing: Strumming and fingerstyle were perfect. And playing with dynamics.

You sing really well and loved your voice vibratos :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

And the ending is the best part :rofl:.

Veredict: 10/10.

So please, continue sharing your progress :pray:

1 Like

Brilliant, great debut Liane-Rose!

I guess the only way to overcome the fear is to keep having a go :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo Liane-Rose Bravo. I’m late to this party and it’s all been said already … what a wonderful performance, showcasing your guitar and singing skills plus the ability to perform a song, with lots of feeling and dynamics.

I had to watch the mistake bit twice, firstly because not being an Oasis listener I missed the mistake, and secondly the laugh was just so rich and bubbly, delightful.

When you say you ‘played a bit’ as a kid, it sure looks like you played a bit (can take that two ways :grin:) and have made tremendous progress in the years since coming back and learning with Justin.

No reason for you not to sign-up for the next OM.

Plectrums have their place but on the other hand, Mark Knopfler (to name but one) is a legendary guitarist who can play a bit on the electric without a plectrum. So nothing wrong with continuing to finger pick and strum without a plectrum.

Look forward to more recordings from you. You have a wonderful voice and the playing to accompany it.

2 Likes

Aw @Rumil thank you so much for watching and for your encouragement! You are the best, I most certainly will :grinning:

1 Like