Half the World Away - My First AVOYP

Hello you lovely lot, happy to report that I finally did my first AVOYP! :grinning:

I’ve been learning with Justin since 2018 and played a bit when I was a kid. I never, ever, play in front of an audience so I really need to get some more practice in. As you can see, the song was going OK until I made a small mistake at the end and then sign posted that to the audience. :joy:

Anyway, have a gander and please give me some pointers for improving.
Thank you so much everyone :grinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEofCyFJNck

32 Likes

That was terrific Liane-Rose. What a debut AVoYP performance! Beautiful vocal and super guitar work. Fingerstyle, strumming, percussion, you gave us it all. Well done, fingerstyle and singing is not easy.

As for the fluff at the end if you hadn’t signalled it no one would have noticed. Anyway, you laughed and made a face and that gave the performance a natural feel. It’s a case of seeing the finishing line coming up and losing concentration. :smiley:

I look forward to more from you.

1 Like

Hey Liane-Rose - what can I say… I didn’t like it… I loved that performance… I’ve been a huge Oasis fan all my life and you done that song more than justice… (in fact I think I prefer your version than Noel’s version)… your finger picking during the verses was superb and then the dynamics with the strumming and percussion in the chorus a fantastic touch… and a cheeky we tap on the guitar too… your vocals were great and really captured the essence of the song… and to top that off you smiled throughout the performance… no red light syndrome… you came across as a natural performer… I’m going to have to watch that performance a few times now to try and learn the song the way you played it. I look forward to hearing more from you.

You may want to check out the forum open mic which is held every 6-8 weeks.

@Notter @KevinKevan one for the Oasis fans on the forum to watch

2 Likes

That was absolutely mind blowing Liane Rose! I am a big Oasis fan and wow did you nail it!
Your playing, voice and performance were the complete package. You are a natural performer.
Keep them coming and I look forward to hearing more… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

WOW :bangbang: Liane-Rose, this was great :bangbang: If this is your first AVOYP, I can’t wait for the second one :exclamation: Everything is great, the playing, the voice, intonation, attitude, musicality. You’re a natural. I’m a fan. Don’t hesitate, go ahead :exclamation:

2 Likes

superb! Really amazing vocals and playing!

1 Like

Oh thank you so much @sairfingers, that’s so encouraging to hear and means a LOT coming from you. I absolutely love your performances!

Yeah, you’re so right about seeing the finishing line. Must remember to stay ‘in the moment’!

Thank you once again for taking the time to watch, you’re a ledge. :wink:

1 Like

@Socio Thank you so, so much! Aw, I’m really beaming from ear to ear at this end. It’s such a milestone ‘coming out’ and posting your first vid, isn’t it? But you sure have made me feel welcome and encouraged. Hahah, not sure Noel would agree with you there but you’ve made my day all the same.

Yes, I shall keep my eyes peeled for the next open mic night. Not sure my repertoire is quite there yet but be good to see you guys play again. I learned a lot being an audience in the last one.

I think it was @TheMadman_tobyjenner who said that just by recording yourself you learn so much. He ain’t wrong!

Anyway, glad to meet another O’sis fan and thank you so much for watching. You da best! :grinning:

1 Like

Aw @Eddie_09 @BigLuc & @alexisduprey thank you so, so much for your kind and encouraging words, they honestly mean so much!

Right, best keep playing then :wink:

2 Likes

Well he would have certainly said its better than our Liam’s playing and singing :smiley:

1 Like

Great start to recording! I like your version better than the Oasis one. Seems just more low key. :smiley: Hope more is on the way! :+1:

1 Like

Holy wow Liane-Rose, amazing performance from you there and mind blowing debut.

You completely made that your own and as for the misstep at the end, the last vocal line still rounded out the song anyway, and your reaction only proved that you really didn’t feel down!!

Can’t wait to see what you have for us next :+1::boom:

@Socio thanks for the call James :wink:

1 Like

Wow that was really great, not a usual way to put a debut around here - you came in, kicked tables away, jumped on the stage and shown people how it’s done! Fantastic, dynamic was awesome, fingerpicking was just as it should be - warm welcome to AVOYP section of the forum! :grinning: all the best Liane!

2 Likes

That was excellent Liane-Rose. You’re really quite good. Would not be out of place busking or at an acoustic gig.

Even with you laughing I didn’t notice the mistake btw. And I was looking out for it.

I’d really like to encourage you to perform at the next community open mic. You don’t need a big repertoire, just one song. The first time is scary. But if you want to perform in front of people eventually, it’s a great way to start.

1 Like

Hi Liane-Rose,
WOW :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet: :man_bowing:
I think everything has already been said, … still I also want to say something and repeat probably … Your first video only now… , Oooo , Why why why waiting so long :smiling_face_with_tear: ,all the fun/listening we could have had before… your smile, your voice and your entire performance are absolutely worthy of a live club performance…, what a great fun song,…which I don’t know…I’m your fan, and I don’t mean such a thing that blows wind…Bis,Bis,Bis :clap: :clap: :clap: :bouquet:

And of course the mistake at the end was noticeable, I can hope for everyone, … but that doesn’t matter, and nice that you laughed it away :smile:

Thank you so much for your performance,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Liane-Rose.

That was great. Loved the fingerstyle versus and then the strumming chorus. Enjoyed the knocks, just like in the original. Great playing and lovely vocals.

The laugh really added something for me but most of all you looked to be really enjoying yourself all the way through the song. Great song choice too.

1 Like

Phahahha! :joy: Indeed!

Thank you so much Suzie! Yeah, its interesting hearing different versions of the same song and seeing what we all bring to them, eh?

Oh yes, you lot have inspired me. More to come for sure. I also look forward to seeing all of your AVOYPs too!

Haha, thank you so much, I like that. You “reframed” my mistake!

But I do thing my next goal must be to get through a whole song without laughing or pulling faces yeah? :wink:

Kicked tables, haha! Aw, thank you so much for such a warm welcome! Honestly, I feel so encouraged. I was bricking it posting on here too! Thank you @adi_mrok, I look forward to checking out your videos too. :grinning:

1 Like