Half the World Away - My First AVOYP

You are so right! Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Well that’s high praise indeed coming from a legend on the JG Community Forum! I absolutely love your playing so I’m so thrilled you enjoyed my first vid. :grinning:

Thank you for the wise words regarding plectrums too. If it’s good enough for Mark to play without one…

Thank you David, your encouragement has propelled me forwards on my guitar journey :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, for a first AVOYP that was fantastic, look forward to more.

1 Like

Thank you so much @skinnyt! :grinning:

First of all thanks @Socio for bringing me to this topic!

I don’t know what I can say that hasn’t been said already, this is so great.

The finger picking, the singing, and most of all, the vibe, seems like you’re really enjoying performing the song and not worrying about making mistakes (I’m saying this because I see myself kind of too serious when I play something).

And something that I always love in a cover is when it mantains the spirit of the original but the performer still manages to make it their own, and you definitely did that.

Cheers, keep em coming!

2 Likes

Well done and superb debut performance. Really came across as confident and comfortable with what you were playing. Couldn’t really say there were ANY faults…and that little blip at the end would not have been noticed if you hadn’t signalled it (difficult not to do I know). Great vocal too and just overall a great version of the song.

Looking forward to seeing more.

1 Like

What a debut AVOYP, Liane-Rose!
It looks like all the superlatives have been dropped, so will just add my applause :clap: :clap: :clap:
Happy to see another performer employing the power of the smile :smiley:
(I’m reevaluating whether it’s just the Gallagher brothers I’m not a great fan of, as opposed to the songs :laughing:)

1 Like

Thank you so much! :blush:

Oh wow @KevinKevan thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I get a bit too serious sometimes trying to hit the mark rather than just saying ‘f*** it’ - not just in guitar playing but in anything creative/performance. Now that I’ve looked at the video again with fresh eyes I can see some things I really need to work on - especially not rushing ahead!

Then again, perhaps it’s best to remind ourselves that there is no ‘perfect’ performance. In the words of Miles Davies “there are no mistakes” :grinning:

Thank you so much for watching and encouraging me, you da best!

1 Like

Aw thank you so much, I can’t tell you how much you’ve all helped build my confidence. I’m pumped for the next vid - bring it! :grinning:

I definitely smile and laugh too much. Perhaps I need to do a Nick Cave song next, yes? :joy:

Oh no, you’re not a fan of the mighty O’sis? Perhaps I can win you over! I’m not a huge fan of Noel as an individual per se (he lost me at Tony Bliar/Downing Street) BUT he at least has given some good songs for us beginner guitarists to play. :grinning: Not that many F chords in his songs :joy:

Thank you, I’m currently learning this song because of your cover!

Funny that you mention Nick Cave, I just saw him live last week, he’s intense.

1 Like

Oh cool! You will have to share your version! :grinning:

Oh wow, yeah, I’ve heard that about Nick Cave live. Where did you see him?

Wow that was awesome.
Your presentation was so relaxed and professional.
Guitar work superb.
Voice just sublime.
Loved it.

1 Like

Oh my, that was amazing. Love your performance. Every element: guitar, vocals, interpretation and the laugh at the fluff at the end. Honestly, this is fantastic.

1 Like

Wow! That was awesome! Do you get the opportunity to sing and pay much in your acting career? You should definitely add these talents to your bio. A true natural!

1 Like

Ron, thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Aw @saturno thank you so much! I see that we have been on a similar guitar journey too. How lucky were we to find the JG site eh?

Aw @Crystalcz thank you so much! Funnily enough it was music that got me into acting. My first role was in musical theatre. It’s fascinating learning how to apply my acting skills to playing songs. I’m inner nerd cannot get enough of it! It’s all storytelling, right?

I haven’t really pushed my guitar and singing skills in my career but perhaps I should. See, you’re putting ideas in my head now. :wink:

Wow, what an entrance! The guitar was excellent (Loved the knock), your voice is superb, and maybe most importantly you seemed to have fun the whole way through. I agree with others that you should consider an Open Mic event.

1 Like