Hallelujah Fingerstyle

Hi Community, today I thought to record this to share with you :blush:. As you can see it’s only one verse and chorus: being able to play a whole song feels like a real struggle for me…it seems like there’s always a good reason for me to get stuck :pensive:
Anyone experiencing or experienced this? And if yes how did it sort it out for you? There’s so much going on while playing, if I overfocus on Rhythm then I’ ll get the chord wrong, if I focus on remembering the chords than Rhythm will get sloppy, and I prefer humming at this stage, especially if the song is in english, which is not my mother tongue. It’s not because it’s fingerstyle, with strumming it gets even worse. Any feedback will be very much appreciated, as much as any advice from the more expert guitarists among you.

@RoseRock hope to hear soon good news about your restored guitar and I’ll sing a joyful Hallelujah for it!

18 Likes

That was really good Silvia you are coming along really well and should be proud of your progress.

With strumming it helps practising the strumming pattern over and over again on muted strings until it becomes robotic. With fingerstyle to me its the same its just practising over and over again until the picking pattern becomes robotic. Taking away one less thing to think about freeing up memory for other things.

3 Likes

Really good job Silvia, it sounded really good and with an even rhythm.

Regarding playing whole songs, the only way I’ve been able to do it without singing is playing to a backing track where the drum beats and other instruments help me keep rhythm without thinking about it too much.

2 Likes

Hi Silvia! Great job! We can ear and see how deeply you love doing music. Keep on! :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

Wow @SILVIA , I love the humming and the playing. You are making such beautiful progress. On my repair, I did a glue down yesterday evening. It needs a little more glue and clamping. Hope to report with new pictures soon.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m honestly very proud of my progress, because I know how much I pushed on myself to get here…you should listen to my first Hallelujah try, soo tense! I guess I just have to keep on and try to automate things as much as possible.

Thank you :blush::pray:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, I sometimes play along with the Beginner App but there are days where connecting with the beat feels harder than playing on my own.

Wow Silvia that was quite nice! Good job!! I loved your voice humming along to!! Cheers!

1 Like

That was lovely, and once again your joy was obvious.

2 Likes

Silvia that was great your technique was really bang on and you played it smoothly, you need to cut yourself a bit of slack here :smile: James’s advice is spot on, it needs to become robotic and then you can focus on singing. Humming is a good start, with lyrics its the same as with guitar, you need to learn to sing it through your sleep almost first before singing along as loosing focus because of forgetting lyrics can be a major throw off while playing.

Overall you are doing fantastic!

4 Likes

Silvia, I thought that was really good. The whole song is just the same progression repeated a few times.

From here to the whole song - just keep playing. The song is longer of course, so you may need to build endurance. If you make a mistake, just keep playing. If humming or singing makes it hard, just do the guitar bit.

Your playing is great, no reason you can’t do the full song.

1 Like

Silvia that was very good,your fingerstyle is accurate ,timing sounded good to me ,your emotion really shows through while you are playing,keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Very very nice Sylvia. I find fingerstyle and singing extremely difficult. When strumming and learning to sing a song I also hum along until the guitar part becomes automatic and then I gradually introduce vocals. Keep going as you are on the right track.

1 Like

Hi Silvia,
Well done, it was nice to listen to, :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet:all good has already been said…and to answer your question again…

More practice and then some more practice, but usually just more practice :grin:

Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

@roger_holland Definetely, more practice is the right path to follow, but I’ll do it lighter hearted after all the Community good feedback. Thank you :blush::pray:

1 Like

Thank you, I think the pattern is well automated now and I’m kind of getting into the idea of learning to hear in my mind what chord comes next: in this way thumb would go confidently on the right root string…I think…:thinking::blush:

1 Like

Your words are really heart warming, thank you! :blush::pray:

Thank you… guitars always bring joy, don’t they? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush:

1 Like

Thank you vey much for your comment :blush:, I surely need to build endurance :sweat_smile:. I’m also trying to keep on playing through mistakes, but sometimes they just give to my nerves and I get stuck…nevermind​:joy:

1 Like