Hello everyone. Steve here from Weston super Mare

I am an older (76) guitar student. I bought my first (cheap and useless) guitar way back in 1960. No internet then, no YouTube. I tried to teach myself using the Bert Weedon “Play in a day” book and by watching and listening but never really made progress beyond simple songs and a dozen chords. Some progress came when I bought a lovely Washburn acoustic in 1999 and realised that a decent guitar makes a lot of difference. I added a MIM Strat and battery amp in 2003 and discovered Justin guitar in 2006 when I must’ve been amongst the first of his you tube students.
I had great fun living aboard a yacht between 2000 and 2012 where I manged to play with other yachties during winter marina layups and progressed to giving some group performances but it meant online lessons were all but impossible.
The last 10 years since I settled in a house on land have been filled with family and grandchildren and the guitars have been stored unused until-----November 2022 when something stirred and I decided to give it another try.
I thought I was an Intermediate guitarist but soon realised that I needed to revisit much of the stuff I thought I knew. So I began again, right at the first of Justin’s lessons, re-learning and removing years of bad practice and flawed techniques. I was in fact, a beginner!
Now, some 4 months later I am up to module 14, loving the blues lessons and at last making progress again. It feels good and the enthusiasm to learn and improve is back!
So after over 60 years I may yet make it as a guitarist. Thanks Justin.

10 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Steve! There’s lots to learn and share here, will look forward to hearing you play :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Steve, welcome. Good you found time for the guitar again. Starting from the beginning is the best. Instead of guessing what do I already know, just watching all the videos and reading all the lessons, and doing the practice, can put you in good shape when moving to content that had not previously dealt with. I did the same.

1 Like

Hey Steve, that is such a great story, thanks for sharing. Look forward to hearing more from you

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Steve

1 Like

Love your story Steve and welcome on board!

1 Like

Hello Steve, that’s quite a story.

That is quite an acknowledgement of the need to re-learn. Kudos to you for that. It sounds like you’re doing it right and having fun!
Cheers
Richard

Welcome Steve, so nice to have you here :hugs:.
I love reading all the different stories that finally bring people from all over the world to Justin’s website and this wonderful community :star_struck:.
I wish you lots of fun with your six-string-friend and look forward to hearing more from you :smiley:.

1 Like

WOW what a story. Welcome.

1 Like

Welcome Steve. I am only a couple years behind you in age. I started following Justin in 2007 and have been to a couple of the Electric Jam workshops. Like you I am relearning the basics. A fancy lead means nothing if it is not in time so here I am.

1 Like

Hi Steve love your story, love it that you dig the blues, and really looking forward to hearing more from you.

I am sure that you will enrich us all, as you have a living memory of all the good music from your youth.

1 Like

Hi and welcome Steve. definitely the place to come. The guys here are so knowledgeable and easily will impart their assistance to you.
Have a great experience here!:+1:

2 Likes

Hi Steve,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome Steve, it was nice to read your story! I’m sure you’ll make it as a guitarist! Your enthusiasm says it all :blush:

1 Like

Hello Steve and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Great story. 10 years living on a yacht and jamming with others. Sounds great. It’s good to read you are getting back up to speed with your guitar.

1 Like

Welcome Steve to the group.
Glad your sticking with it and back up to speed nice to know your enjoying yourself. :+1:

A

1 Like

Steve, welcome to the community forum. It sounds like you’ve had a lot of fun with guitar over the years. You did the right approach to start at the beginning after 10 years. I did the same thing last year, so I know that now you have the foundation to really learn the guitar and have even more fun.

1 Like