Hello from Bavaria/Germany

Hi to all.
My name is Richard, 53 years old.
Haven’t had a guitar in hand since over 40 years back when I took some guitar lessons in1979.
Sadly my dad passed away in July. Within his heritage he left me a small collection of 10 guitars 7 amps and various other equipment. As some of the guitars are quite valuable my nephew asked to get one of them as he wants to start learning guitar as a keepsake to his grandfather. So I took the opportunity to restart my guitar journey after a long break as well and was quite impressed that after 40 years within 10 minutes was able to play house of the rising sun (the last song I learned back then)

My nephew challenged me until x-mas to be able to play sweet home Alabama with as much licks as we can learn in that time. Challenge accepted. While searching for online resources I stumbled over a quite old at vid of Justin for that song. From there on made my way t his lessons and now into the community.

9 Likes

Hello Richard, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:. I’m from Austria. So we are kind of neighbours :wink:.

First of all, I’m really sorry for your loss. But what a wonderful heritage you got from your dad, and what a wonderful way to remember him - by keeping his passion alive. And to share it with your nephew, makes it even more valuable.

Thank you for sharing your story, and all the best for the challenge :grinning:.

2 Likes

Welcome Richard and deepest condolences on the loss of your dad. I hope you find that by relaunching your guitar journey it will help you deal with your fathers passing, and what a great way to honor his memory.
Good luck with your journey and your x-mas challenge. You will find lots of great people here to help you along the way.
Eddie

1 Like

Some of the guitars that will go onto the journey with me and my nephew
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

4 Likes

Hi Richard and welcome

Sorry for your loss but what a wonderful inheritance and a constant memory of your father.
Looking forward to hearing SHA when you are good and ready but take your time and don’t add unnecessary pressure, even though you have been challenged.

Plenty of advice available here, whenever you need it.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Richard.
What a great way for you and your nephew to remember your father.

2 Likes

Welcome. I am also back after a 40 year break, but while I was able to play a few chords straight away I was unable to play songs without a lot of work/practice

2 Likes

Griaß di Richard! Nice to have you here in the community. I’m from Bavaria too. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. But I hope you can play his guitars with joy. Impressing collection!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, great to hear from you. Both of my parents were originally from Germany.

2 Likes

Hi Richard,
Welcome and how nice to read that you manage to get something so beautiful out of a tragedy with which you can honor your father every day and be grateful to him for this fine collection and the pleasure you will get (and already get) :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hope you and your nephew have a blast playing. It’s a great way to remember/honor someone. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Hello Richard and welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your dad but how nice to have some of his instruments that you will be able to play. A great way to stay connected to his memory.

2 Likes

Welcome Richard! My deepest condolences for your loss. Your father left you some impressive gear. I’m sure you will find the community very supportive of your journey. I look forward to seeing/hearing you and your progress.

2 Likes

Hello Richard.
My condolences for the loss of your father. Those guitars look to be beautiful instruments, he must have really enjoyed building a collection and making music. And now you can share in his passion through his gifts to you. I hope you enjoy playing and making music and it channels to your heart.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Richard. Welcome to the community. Enjoy those beautiful guitars.

2 Likes

Hi Richard, welcome. Sorry to hear about your dad’s passing. I think he should be very happy of seeing his guitars staying in the family and played by his son and grandson. Good luck with your challenge.

2 Likes

That’s so cool! Enjoy - wishing you a wonderful journey and don’t hesitate to reach out if you need extra help from the team. Cheers

2 Likes

Hi Richard. Welcome to the community and sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I lost my dad as well a couple years back so I get how it feels. Looking at your pictures below with a Les Paul and Fender left behind, I am sure those are a treasure to play. We are here to offer support and advice whenever you are ready to share your talent. I think it is great that you carry on his legacy and started playing guitar. Bavaria is a fun place and great environment to play music. I lived in Germany years ago- Good luck along the way

Jeff

2 Likes