Hello from Brian in Yorkshire

Hello to everyone here!

I’m Brian, a 67 year old Scotsman: I’ve lived in Yorkshire for nearly forty years. I’ve played guitar for even longer - fifty years this year. I did some live mic playing round about Yorkshire at the turn of the millenium and did the same in Eugene, Oregon, in 2000. Not long after all that musical excitement I had a couple of prolonged periods of serious illness - music played a big part in my recovery.

Singer-songwriters are my favourite performers and I can play some of my favourite Leonard Cohen, John Denver and Mickey Newbury songs. I also enjoy most of John Renbourn and I can make a stab at some of his pieces. I write songs and like most people who’ve tried I hope to crack it - the magic chord change, the wonderful lyric - one day.

With Justin’s guidance - and the help of the Community - I am hoping to learn some new skills and un-learn my (many) bad habits. Since joining the site, I’ve been looking around to see all that’s available, dipping in to the many lessons and conversations. I feel very happy here.

17 Likes

Hello Brian :smiley:

A very warm welcome to the community! :hugs:

Great that you’ve picked up your guitar again. Music really can help and I’m wishing the very best for your recovery :sunflower:

You’ve come to the perfect place here. I’m a complete beginner, but there’s lots of stuff for advanced and experienced players as well. The courses and song tutorials are great, very motivating and inspiring.
And with Justin’s guidance and the community’s help you’ll surely find that magic chord change and wonderful lyric very soon :slightly_smiling_face:

Have lots of fun and success on your musical journey :guitar:

Cheers from Germany
Gunhild :lady_beetle:

1 Like

Greetings Brian,
Sounds like you’re already well on the way with your guitar journey.
Justin’s lessons are fab, and there’s quite a community here, so hope this all helps you get even further
Why not take a look at the community Open Mic thread and see if that’s something you’d like to get involved with too
Cheers
Ruaridh

Hi Brian - Welcome! Sounds like music has been an important part of your life. If you work out how to unlearn those bad habits, be sure to let me know :slight_smile:

Welcome Brian. Even though you are an experienced player it might be worthwhile going through Justin’s course from the beginning to see if there are any gaps in your knowledge.

Hi Brian, welcome to the JGC. Look forward to hearing some of your singer/song-writer covers; better still your own song at an OM during '24 … :grinning:

Welcome aboard, Brian! :slight_smile:

That’s quite a guitar and music history you have! Music has something magic as it helps body and sould healing, it’s just amazing. :slight_smile:

Glad you found us and share some of your musical path with us. :slight_smile:

Wish you loads of fun and joy on the journey.

Cheers - Lisa

A hearty welcome from one Brian to another :smiley:
Glad to see you on board and although I hope you find the site and Community helpful, with your track record you have the potential to be a great resource as well!
Look forward to following your journey :smiley:

Welcome Brian from another resident of the Shire.

Hey Brian, welcome to the community.

Trevor

Thanks for the welcome.

The very first of Justin’s lessons revealed gaps in my knowledge. I’m completely self taught on guitar. Some of it may be right, lots of it may be very wrong.

I had music lessons as a boy learning to play piano accordion, a very popular instrument in Scotland, so I can read music. I can’t sight-read to play and what little I knew about music theory is mostly forgotten and very unpracticed.

Looking forward to learning loads more.

Brian

Gunhild

danke schön.

Even when I was very ill at home I always listened to music and played my guitar when I felt less unwell. Like a lot of older players I’ve probably not added to either my technique or repertoire as much as I could. I’m using Justin’s site to try new things, starting from the very beginning.

I’ve enjoyed visits to Germany and we hosted a German student in our home for several moths when she was improving her English. (or should that be Scottish given my accent!)

Brian

1 Like

Ruaridh

Thanks for the hello.

Amongst many gaps in my knowledge is how I’d be able to contribute to the Community. I don’t know how I’d attach any music to my messages. I’ve recorded some stuff via a mic plugged into my pc. After one of my most serious periods of illness I recorded a batch of my songs - I thought I was on my kick-the-bucket list!

Still trying to make the most of very minute.

Regards

Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,
If you’d like to share recordings you are making , then if you go into the community recordings bit of the forum and then click through to the most relevant section - most likely the one clunkily called Audio visual of you recording _ (unless it’s an original song or band effort -)
Then create new topic and in the box there’s an icon to attach file - can be a you tube, or vid from your pc or a simple audio file ,
I’m no expert on the tech side , but there’s plenty info and folks here who can help with that too

Hi Brian
A warm welcome to the community, it is wonderful :hugs:

I love this! It made me smile :smiling_face:

Music is very healing and amazing for so much!
I’m also a big Leonard Cohen fan :slight_smile:
Looking forward to hearing more from you :sunflower:

1 Like

Welcome!

I sometimes think I spend more time unlearning bad habits than I do learning new ones :smiley:

:wave: welcome Brian, be lovely to hear you sometime.

R

Hi Brian, good luck with your continuing guitar journey. Looking forward to hearing some songs/performances sometime.
Best wishes Alan

Hi Brian,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun here :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

Hi Brian, welcome to the community. While I have always enjoyed listening to music of all genres it is only now (at 75) that I am understanding the benefits of playing music. All due to finding Justin’s course online and now being inspired by all of the contributions made by this community. Good health for 2024.