Hello from Cathy in Bishop Auckland

Hi Cathy and welcome. Nice with the violin, almost same :wink: Wish you a most enjoyable journey with the guitar. :+1: :sunglasses: :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks Tony :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Cathy
Welcome to the forum
Hope you have a great time getting to grips with the guitar.
As a classically trained amateur cellist, I’ve found learning guitar on Justin a real joy, and it’s made me a much better musician, so if you get half the fun I’m having, you’re on a winner.
(Though I’m fully confident with theory, and keyboard harmony, I did do the theory course out of interest . Obvs there’s a great deal for people who can’t read music, but later on it’s all about harmony and how to do this practically on the guitar to make music, it doesn’t even reference the keyboard to explain harmony at all- brilliant- - lots of altered chord shape grips etc, so worth a look because its a long way from Sonata form and Italian terms😉)
Cheers
Ruaridh

2 Likes

Hello Cathy… Welcome to the community :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Cathy,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses: and you probably have a steep learning curve :smiley:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hi Cathy, and welcome to the community :smiley:
My two best friends in here West Kirby both play guitar and violin.
You’ll be flying in no time :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Cathy and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I’m sure your violin background will help you quite a bit with your guitar.

2 Likes

Hi Cathy! I am also a violinist (nowhere near professional though) and started playing guitar about 3 years ago. Though guitar is different in a lot of ways, I still felt that my background in violin gave me an advantage and helped a lot. It also inspired me to try lots of other string instruments I never would’ve thought to, like mandolin, bass, ukulele, etc. Don’t worry about that F barre, it’ll come with time! Best of luck and have fun!

2 Likes

@CathyEdmunds Cathy welcome!

I was wondering (also asking @GinaRose Gina and @Eccleshall) how are you finding going from fretless to fretted instruments and vice versa?
I find that intimidating. And I’m asking because I want to start trying a traditional (Greek) string instrument which is also fretless…

1 Like

I play fretted instruments anyway (mandolin and bass viola da gamba) so am used to the idea of frets. I think fretless instruments are far more versatile, but harder to learn in the first instance, so I’m glad I learnt orginally as a child, rather than attempting violin as an adult.

By the way, I stopped replying to all the people who had sent me greetings, as the site locked me out - too many replies too quickly! Must’ve thought I was a spammer.

3 Likes

Thanks Cathy!

Oh I’m sure the admins will take care of the issue you have!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Cathy.

2 Likes

Hello Cathy.
A warm welcome to JustinGuitar and the community from a fellow north easterner.
Ask if you need any help or support and keep on doing the step by step learning. You’ll know already how foundations in the basics are so important.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Cathy, welcome to the community. I found the fretless aspect of violin the most challenging when try to teach myself a few simple melodies on a practice violin via the Suzuki method. It sounds like you already have experience with fretted instruments. Guitarist have to learn a lot of tricks to overcome frets though when playing solos with slides and bends, etc. You should make good progress with your background so have fun playing songs.

2 Likes

Hi Cathy, welcome. I do not play violin but I figure there are different musical instruments because of the different timbres and expression possibilities. Something that can be hard to do with a violin can be easier with a guitar and the opposite.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.