Hello from Cathy in Bishop Auckland

Hello everyone. I’m Cathy, a professional violinist from north-east England. I’ve had a guitar for years, but never learnt to play it properly, so I’m now giving it a go. Have to admit, I’m skipping the theory lessons, mostly because I’ve got a degree in this stuff anyway - but the practical, technical lessons on actually playing the instrument are very good indeed, and I’m loving doing them.

21 Likes

Welcome Cathy, You probably have a good head start with your background.

2 Likes

My background is certainly helping, as I understand all the music stuff - but violinists tend to find guitar pretty challenging as the hand shape is so different, so I’ll see how I go. Cautiously optimistic at the moment.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Cathy.

2 Likes

Cathy @CathyEdmunds

Welcome to the community from a fellow North Easterner.
At least you can put a tick in the theory box.
Not sure I should be saying this, as I am only in Grade 4 of Justin’s Practical Theory Course but I would concentrate intially on playing the guitar and learning to play songs rather trying to apply your theory to what you are doing.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Michael :+1::guitar::notes:

2 Likes

Hi Mat - don’t worry, I won’t be ‘applying my theory’. It’s all instinctive by now, luckily. The only time I think about it is when I teach it. After a certain point, it all goes on in some background part of your brain, a bit like balancing when riding a bike without having to think about it.

It’s interesting playing the guitar when I’m so used to violin. I can rattle off scales easily enough, but ask me to change quickly to a full F barre chord and I panic :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome Cathy, you are in a great place to begin your guitar journey. Have fun.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m sure I will :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Welcome, @CathyEdmunds !

2 Likes

Cathy @CathyEdmunds

If you thinking about F barre chord you must be into Grade 2.
Do you play songs, if you are not then Mod Richard @Richard_close2u will be after you and quoting his mantra play songs play songs…………
Only kidding
Michael :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Cathy, great background to start off with; at least you shouldn’t suffer too much with sore fingers like most of us did!
Take your time and learn lots of songs along the way, that’s perhaps the most important thing when learning this way, the course is geared very much toward learning songs for the encouragement it gives. The other good parts are posting yourself in AVOYP section and perhaps in the future joining in with the community Open mic nights.

2 Likes

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

Oh yes, definitely songs. And just generally improvising. Inventing new chords and mini-riffs.

1 Like

Yes, I’m relieved not to suffer the sore fingertips, as I can understand how frustrating that must be.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, Cathy! :slight_smile:

Hope you will be having loads of fun exploring the guitar and learn something new. With your background you will probably proceed quite fast. And it’s definitely of advantage to not have sore fingers in the beginning. :sweat_smile:

Cheers
Lisa

2 Likes

Thanks Lisa. Here’s hoping I can proceed fairly quickly (but not keeping fingers literally crossed :sunglasses: )

1 Like

Don’t worry, that took me years, and I still don’t always hit it just right. Welcome!

3 Likes

Thanks Mark - I’ll get there!

2 Likes

Great stuff, welcome to the community.

2 Likes