Hello from County Durham, UK

Hi everyone, I’m Michael from County Durham, UK. I’ve made numerous attempts to learn guitar since my late teens - I’m now 48. I learned a few chords in the mid 90s then switched to bass. I played bass for a few years then gave it up until approx 2018 when I started playing again with some friends from work. We formed a band and played a few gigs but everything came to a halt in 2020 and my bass began gathering dust, hanging on the wall.

Fast forward to August 2023 - I went to a folk festival in Wales with my family and saw some amazing bands and solo artists, most of whom I’d never heard of before, and upon returning home I felt inspired to dust off my old acoustic guitar which had also been gathering dust for a number of years. I’ve recently replaced it with a newer model as there was an issue with the neck which I was told couldn’t be repaired. I now have an Alvarez AF60 which I really enjoy playing.

I’ve stared right from the beginning with Justin’s beginner’s lessons - I’m about to start module 7 of grade 1. I’ve also been attending a local guitar club where we play through some rock classics. I’ve even done a couple of solo songs - something I thought I’d never be able to do.

I thought it was about time i introduced myself and joined the JG Community!

Happy Strumming!

Michael

13 Likes

Welcome Michael. Plenty of starting again people here, hope you stick with it this time.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s going well so far. I think the main difference this time round is that I’m actually making an effort to learn songs and not just strum random chords. It’s so much more fun and productive that way. I’m discovering loads of new music too which is great. Looking forward to getting involved in the JG Community and connecting with other players near and far

1 Like

Hi Michael,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks Roger :guitar:

Welcome aboard, Michael! :smiley:

Sounds like you’ve had a good foundation to build on. Even better you already have some folks to make music with and learn with them. That’s invaluable! :slight_smile:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey!

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Welcome Michael. Also a Michael here. With only a love of rock and blues, and basic music knowledge learned playing trumpet in high school band, I decided to learn guitar 18 months ago. After struggling the first year to learn on a beefy Fender dreadnought, I looked for something smaller and found the Alvarez AF60. Beautiful instrument and so much easier for me to play. There is so much good to gain from the Justin Guitar experience. Have at it!

1 Like

Hey Michael, welcome to JGC.

Getting out and playing with others is a great catalyst to spur you on … playing solo too :+1:

Sounds like you’re making great strides forward in Grade 1, and your foot on the GAS with the your Alvarez too. Look foward to hearing you play it.

Keep it fun … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Lisa! The guitar club’s a great motivator. I’m enjoying Justin’s lessons and have learned a lot already.

1 Like

Thanks Michael. I’ve only had my AF60 for just over a week and I love it! I’m pleased I’ve finally joined the JG community

Michael @MichaelBrabs
Welcome from another Michael who lives not too far away from you in Washington.
There are a few of us in the North East active in the community.
Michael :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Once I’ve figured my way around the community I’m sure I’ll have a go at uploading something. I like the sound of the open mic nights too

Thanks Michael! I grew up in Washington! Nice to hear there’s an active JG North East community.

1 Like

Hey Michael, welcome to the community. I only got serious about acoustic guitar when I turned 53 and 10+ years later I’m so very glad I stuck with it. The rewards are so worth it. It’s a challenge at the start but soon you get traction and then there’s no looking back. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community Michael. :wave:

1 Like

Hello from Belgrade and welcome to comunity.
I’m in similar situation as you , although I never hold instrument before like you did, but I’m was born in 79’. I think the key to hold interes is to actually start songs as soon as you can connect 2 or 3 chords. Playing real music gives great motivation ind. Looking forward to hearing from you and your progress. I struggle with F, keep up the good work !

1 Like

Thanks Knez. It’s great to be a part of the JG community! Everyone’s been so welcoming. I totally agree with you about learning songs and that’s made a huge difference for me this time around. I’ll upload something soon, maybe over the weekend :grinning:

Hello Michael :wave::wave::wave: welcome among us! How I wish I could have a local guitar club as well, it must be such fun! :blush:

1 Like

Hello Michael from a fellow re-starter. As I am sure you’ve seen, there’s plenty of material to learn on Justin’s web pages and all the support you could want from the good people here in the community. You’ve come to the right place to stay motivated.

1 Like

Hi Michael, welcome to the community. It sounds like you have a good foundation for learning guitar and a good guitar to play on. It is also good that you have the opportunity to play guitar with others. I know that you will have fun and keep on learning and playing.

1 Like