Hello from Jak. Finally Introducing Myself! :)

Hey everyone! I hope I’m doing this right. I actually was a part of another online guitar school for almost 3 years, but I left because I felt I got out of that site what I could. So I ended up finding THIS site by accident! I researched “Why am I getting so much thumb muscle pain when I play?” And lo and behold, one of the forum topics on this site popped up and not only answered my question, the solution really helped!
I couldn’t believe I had accidentally stumbled on the legendary Justin Guitar site that so many people had talked about. I thought it costed money, so at those moments I couldn’t sign up. several months ago I realized, I COULD and it was FREE! Well, 90% of it is :slight_smile:

My name is Jak, and I’m the cofounder of a heavy metal band. I’ve been playing guitar for over 20 years but I really struggled with improving. The other online school helped a lot, and my private lessons really set me off. But when I came here, I started at the absolute beginning. I was able to apply beginner course training and practice ideas to my more advanced stuff and progressed like never before.

The biggest testament I can say, is when I was able to learn the intricate acoustic section of Symphony X’s “The Odyssey” in 5-10 hours. I was blown away. I thought I’d never be able to do that. Because of this site and the app, I have almost 15 songs under my belt that I’m getting ready to do a local gig with my singer for the first time ever!

This site is truly a blessing. I can’t wait to learn more about everyone here and become more a part of the community :slight_smile: When I have time, I’m going to upload my video take on that section because I was just so proud. Cheers!

17 Likes

Hi Jak and welcome, newb myself here just starting to (re)learn to play after a very long break.

Gives me some stoke that a relatively experienced player like yourself getting better and growing with justins lessons!

Any links to your own bands stuff?

1 Like

Hey there Rob! Thank you so much for the comment! I love how you said “just starting to (re)learn after a long break”. I’m happy to see you picked it back up again. I myself have been through that a lot.

We don’t have a music video YET, but if you have Spotify, here’s the link to our single we released last year :slight_smile: My band’s name is Unknown. I hope you like it! I played all guitars and bass, and my singer does the singing (obviously, lol) except the male parts on the outro

5 Likes

Wow thats a solid track! Love the female singer so few of them around that really fit in with heavy stuff!

1 Like

You have NO idea how much that means to me that you liked it! Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and give feedback. Much love, brother!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, enjoying your enthusiasm, keep it going

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community Jak.
Your story is inspiring on many levels.
One I would like to select is that despite years of experience you were humble enough to go right back to the beginning and learn all over again, checking bad habits and creating new good habits.
Kudos for that.
Your song rocks.
You should check out Sandmarx - a Norwegian rock group founded by Sandra and Marcus who learned to play through JustinGuitar.

1 Like

Hi there Jak, excellent story! I love that you are so experienced but started the courses at the beginning anyway, and you were able to benefit from it so much. Your track sounds awesome!

I’m very new, only 3 months in…look forward to anything I can learn from you :blush:

1 Like

Hi Jak! I think it is inspirational to hear how someone with your experience has decided to go all the way back to basics to look for ways to improve yourself. It shows great humility on your part, plus a sincere desire to take advantage of any opportunity to learn. Thanks for telling us a little about yourself. I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of advice you will be able to share with the rest of us who are at the earlier stages of our guitar journeys.

1 Like

Man, about halfway through this I wanted to jump off the couch and start bouncing off the walls! :crazy_face: Your singer has raw power but outstanding control at all times. Your guitar work is intense. Am I hearing some Dio influences? Some Sabbath (is it possible to be into metal and not be influenced by Sabbath)? And definitely Metallica. I don’t think any of those bands would be insulted by a comparison. The cover art is really well done, too. Rock on!! :metal:

[Edited to correct spelling of Ronnie James Dio’s name.]

1 Like

Welcome Jak. Working through all the beginner modules is a great idea.

1 Like

Hello Jak and welcome to this great community. :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear how it has been helping you along.

1 Like

Hi Jak good to have you here! :blush:

1 Like

Welcome :wave:

Well Jak, that 20 years was spent wisely I can see or should I say hear ! - as I sit here with your track belting out in the background. Getting a Sabbath, Staind, Metallica vibe for sure but whatever box it fits into, my boat is certainly floating. Great playing and great vocals (please pass that on) :smiley:

How inspiring that having found Justin’s site, you came in at the bottom and worked your way up. I am sure that will have been of benefit. And remind folk that we are all beginners.

Beginner

I agree with @Richard_close2u you should defintely checkout Sandmarx !

Good to have you here and I hope you can pass on some of your experiences to others.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community Jak, great that you’re able to get a lot from Justin’s lessons, will be nice to hear you play. I went to Spotify and tried to listen to your track but since I don’t have a paid account it shuffled me into something that was so not metal, I’m thinking what’s everyone talking about? Then I realized a song called ‘Where are you Now’ by Lost Frequencies was playing, not ‘Purgatory’. And not metal!!! Lol I’ll go back later and see if I can figure out how to get to your song.

1 Like

I don’t have paid Spotify either. I think I had a similar experience, and had to close something that was somehow playing in front of Purgatory, but then I was able to play it. Not sure exactly what I did or I would describe the process more clearly.

2 Likes

Beginner

Love this, @TheMadman_tobyjenner. I think it is going to have to replace my “Hang in there Baby! It’s almost Friday” hanging cat poster.

Or it would if I actually had said poster. I mean, I have the poster, only it’s in my imagination, not actually on my wall. It’s hanging right next to “This is Fine” dog.

That was brilliant! Loved the guitar on Purgatory, what a treat to listen to you playing.

1 Like

Thanks @Dave911 . I couldn’t figure out how to get through to the song on my iPhone but when I googled it I saw those restrictions don’t exist on the desktop app so I logged into Spotify on my laptop instead.

1 Like

I am completely overwhelmed with all of this amazing love and support for my music. It’s truly a refreshing breath for sure!! I mean it. I’m just leaving this as a general comment back to the overwhelming support for the song and I’m going to go back and respond to everyone individually. :slight_smile:
To those who have said that it was awesome I started at the beginning, I did on the other school too. There are so many nuances that you should learn in the first stages that I didn’t learn, and they are truly what help you to grow and learn at an exponential rate :slight_smile:
I’m also truly looking forward to sharing what experiences I can here and helping as many people as possible.
I am so excited that the media section of this school gets so much traffic. To see so many people posting their videos there and so many amazing comments truly makes me feel like I had found my home. I’m going to try my hardest not to compare schools I’ve been a part of, but I just truly need to say this is what I needed in my musical journey. Thank you all. I read these wonderful comments to my singer and she was truly thankful as well. She’s had a big struggle in her life with her vocals and to see so many people like her voice truly made her life.

2 Likes