Hello from John in Devon, UK

Hi, my name is John a 75 year old lefty living in Devon in SW England. Bought my first acoustic guitar (Norman Encore B20 LH) as I retired in 2009. Spent a few years trawling the Internet for lessons/information and eventually found Justin Guitar in about 2014. Justin has been my constant companion and inspiration ever since. What an amazing resource Justin (and now his team) have created, a huge thank you from me. Where am I now? Along the way I bought a MIM Fender Strat with a Fender Mustang V2 Amp. I faithfully tried to follow the Classic Beginners Course, subscribed to the Practical Music Theory Course and started on the Intermediate Course last year. Currently getting a little bogged down in Minor Pentatonic, Major Pentatonic and the Major Scale and getting just a little confused between all the info available across the Intermediate Course , the Theory course and the Scales & Modes Module. I think I have got to slow down, concentrate on the Minor Pentatonic (Position 1) and get back to making some music (with Justin’s Backing Tracks of course). Not a lot of experience with Community forums so looking forward to finding my way around and finding encouragement and hearing about other peoples journeys.
Best wishes to you all,
John.

15 Likes

:wave:

R.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum John. Have a look around lots of friendly and helpful here.

1 Like

Good to meet you John, sure there’ll be plenty here for you discover, enjoy and share through the community. Have fun!

1 Like

Hi John,
Welcome , and I wish you a lot of fun here and of course at home with your guitar :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome John. If it helps I’m in exactly the same place. Have been noodling around on guitar for years but now am cracking on with the theory and scales etc. and am getting a bit overwhelmed by it all - so like you am slowing it all down and taking it one step at a time.

All the best.

1 Like

Hello John, and a warm welcome to the community. Nice to have you here :hugs:.
Justin’s website is such an amazing source for guitar players of all levels. And this community is the perfect place if you need additional support, motivating words, or just other people around to talk about your favourite instrument :smiley:.

1 Like

Hey John, welcome to the community, great to meet you. Congratulations on your progress so far, great story.

1 Like

Welcome John, from one Norman owner to another :grinning: I got my B18 Protégé in 2007. It’s my only acoustic, I play it multiple times a week and I still enjoy the sound and feel of it. The JG community is an informative, helpful, supportive, and often entertaining forum to be part of. Enjoy the journey.

1 Like

@JohnnyW John, I followed a similar path as yours - classic beginner, PMT course and intermediate and ran into similar issues. It may not work for you, but at 66 years old, I started over last year with the new beginner course and focused on areas that gave me problems and finally started using the community and discussion groups. There is new info on minor pentatonic (E minor pentatonic) and major scales and most importantly how to use in a song. I also looked at the discussion in the lessons that were not clear to me and learned a few things from others. Most importantly I am spending a lot more time learning to play songs and having more fun. I hope you are able to find answers to your questions and confusion and enjoy playing guitar in retirement.

1 Like

Welcome John.

Shouldn’t be too intimidating on here :slightly_smiling_face:

Have fun looking around and stick to what you enjoy.

1 Like

Hi there buddy

1 Like

Thank you everybody for your warm welcomes. Onward and upward!!!

1 Like

Thank you David. I love my Norman and like you I get huge pleasure from playing it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience Steve. Good idea to rewind and have a look at the New Beginner Course - and play some tunes!

2 Likes

Guitar playing is truly a life-long journey, John!
And I appreciate your update, and personal path.
Keep the playing, and keep the conversations going on the topics of your confusion, and things will slowly reveal themselves.
Once revealed, no more darkness.
So much to learn and be really proficient with.
My journey is ongoing, and I am in the intermediate level, and I am simply enjoying singing and playing my guitar/s.
Warm regards, and keep on playing!!!
Rene

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community John. :slight_smile:

Plenty of people on here you help you with all your questions and I’m sure they’ll make it easier for you to understand.

1 Like

Hi John, welcome on board mate👍

1 Like

Hello John - a very warm welcome to the community. This forum is not like others people say and, if I may be so bold, you have come to the best place.

That is way too much to be biting off and chewing all at once.

[quote] I think I have got to slow down, concentrate on the Minor Pentatonic (Position 1) and get back to making some music (with Justin’s Backing Tracks of course).
[/quote]
100% yes to that. Go back some steps and concentrate on squeezing the juice out of one thing (musically speaking) before you push on into too many other areas.

Cheers
Richard

Thank you Richard for your welcome and advice.
Message received and understood!!!
Cheers
John

1 Like