Hello from Sarah, in Norway

By replying to individual posts yesterday, I discovered I’d used up my maximum number of posts in a day. I’ve just discovered the multiple reply option.

@ardemenz
I’m new to posting, but not to the site - my stage fright extends to contributing in forums too :rofl:
Off-the-grid, but with the option to connect to it in emergencies.

@SDKissFan /Jeff
I learned so much just in the grades 1-2 courses alone. I’ve completed grade 5 and am now workingo n grade 6, in addition to relearning/learning new songs. I’ll try to post a song, and I have some questions planned for this or next week.

2 Likes

“pluck” up the courage :sweat_smile: I like it! :joy:

1 Like

Wow, grade 6 already!! You are super advanced!

1 Like

@ardemenz
That was an unintentional pun. Had you not mentioned it, I wouldn’t have noticed it :joy:

I was going through my completed courses earlier today and noticed new modules/lessons have been added since the last time I revised them, so I still have work to do before (if) I gain the grade 6 completion again.

1 Like

Welcome Sarah! (from the opposite side of the world in NZ!) :wave: :slightly_smiling_face:
So cool to read your story (off-the-grid in Norway - WOW! :star_struck:) and love that you are into metal (as you can probably tell from my nickname, I am too :joy:)! Super curious about this eastern-metal genre you’re working on creating! Any existing bands which would be similar that you could recommend? Looking forward to seeing how it progresses! :metal::confounded:

As someone who also only posted for the first time recently (after being in the background for quite some time), I completely relate to this! :joy:

3 Likes

Hi Sarah, welcome to JG and the community. Living off-the-grid in Norway sounds rather idyllic. Good luck in your learning and if there’s anything you need help with just ask.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@nzmetal

Yay for Metal Guitar Club! :joy:
The eastern metal genre is just an idea in my head at the moment. I need to learn how to record my guitar and learn to play some notes on an oud or violin before I can turn an idea into sound. I don’t know of any bands who play this genre.

Off-the-grid is great until your amplifier is ‘powerless’!

@Richard_close2u

I have a growing list of questions. This weekend I’m going to post my first question.

To both of you:
Off-the-grid is great until your amplifier is ‘powerless’ due to insufficient stored power :smiley:

3 Likes

Indeed! Justin has been working hard. In particular, I’m guessing all of his new lessons in grade 3 have been added since you originally went through it?

2 Likes

I’ve counted almost 30 new lessons over the first 6 grades and that courses up to grade 9 will appear - thank you for all your hard work, Justin (if you ever see this -:slight_smile: )!!

It’ll be good to go back over what I learned two years ago to see what I need to relearn!

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be amazing! :heart: Can’t wait to hear how it comes together in time! :metal:

1 Like

To get an idea of what eastern-influenced rock sounds like, Youtube has some results if you type “middle eastern metal” in the search box.
The ideas I have in my mind are for melancholic, eastern-scale doom, black metal. I wish I had the guitar-playing and recording skills to start putting ideas into practice now!

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Sarah, I’ll check that out! :metal:
Eastern scale tones should meld perfectly into a mash of those two genres. I’m a big fan of oppressive doom fused with intermittent periods of blackened style riffs and vocals. Adding an eastern flavour to that would provide a compellingly eerie atmosphere. Sounds like a stroke of genius :metal:

3 Likes

Hello Sarah, welcome to the community! It took a while to post my introduction as well.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah. I’m new to the community too, but already finding lots of great info and help.

2 Likes

Hi Sarah, I’m a little late, but I only read your introduction today. Glad, that you are joining the community, have fun and enjoy learning. You are much more experienced than me, as I’m only into Grade 2, so I’m far behind you on this long, long road…

3 Likes

Welcome, Sarah
Glad to heart that you stuck with it. You’re in the right place! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @clandev

I think it’s taking me even longer to write my learning log. So manythings I want to revise and learn!

Hi @dessa
There is so much information to go through and, as i’ve just discovered, modules I’d previously completed have had new lessons added to them. The site is wonderful!

@Helen0609
I feel the road ahead for me is long, long too! I’m going back to lesson 1, grade 1 to see what I’ve forgotten and to start on the new lessons that have been added since 2020.

@Papa_G
The best site for learning guitar, I think!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Sarah
Welcome, and hope you have a great time learning to play music here!
Transcribing is probs the best way-in to musicianship, although OMG it’s tough at the start, and many/ most people never get to grips with it.
Stick with it, because the payoff is huge
All the best

3 Likes

Good to meet you Sarah, with your background and experience I’ll be really interested to hear how you get on. Welcome!

2 Likes

Hi Eccleshall

Nice to meet you, so to speak!

Transcribing shorter note values is oh-so-difficult, particularly if the song is fast. Cross fingers I can get to grips with it some day… before the end of the century :smile:

2 Likes