Hello from Tony, a Gen-Xer

54 here. I started on this journey at 52 also (i was sidetracked for a while with some personal issues) and getting back to it now. I had previously gotten much of the way thru Grade1 but am going back to bascis again to refresh muscle memory and toughen my fingers up again HAHA. Justin does a great job, love his lessons

7 Likes

:grinning:

54yrs old, signed up about 2yrs ago (long story, related to job and covid, I had time on my hands) and was progressing well, then life happened and I’m basically starting over again (3x is the charm right?) just to refresh the muscle memory.

After my first son was born ('01) I kinda of played around with a used strat I bought but never received any instruction due to time and family responsibilities. Moved on a few years later and actually did get some 1:1 instruction, but again, life happened. Now, as my youngest is heading off to college next week I finally see myself having a bit more time in the evenings, wife goes to bed very early so I will have unimpeded practice time for 3-4hrs per night once I set up the empty bedroom as my office/guitar room

I’m an old 60’s thru 90’s metal/grunge/rock kind of guy. but I also like current waves of outlaw country and southern rock/blues (think of tyler childers, cody jinks, whiskey myers, etc). I have not decided how I’m going to document my progress yet. maybe VLOG it on a private YT channel for now. Ultimately I have a goal of playing one song live successfully and after that the rest is for me and my enjoyment.

FTR - my gear: Epiphone Jumbo Acoustic, Jackson JS22 Dinky, Fender SuperChampXD, Spark GO

16 Likes

:wink:

Welcome Tony, you’re in good company

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Tony

1 Like

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have good taste in music :metal::wink: All the best with your guitar journey! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Plenty of people on here started at an older age than you. You’ve got plenty of time. Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome Tony, Wow, 3-4 hours a night. If you do that, you’ll be passing all of us in no time! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello Tony and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

There is a section on here where you can start a learning log.

Click me

1 Like

Hello Tony, welcome to the Community :blush:

1 Like

Hi Tony, Welcome to the community. I look forward to your first solo. Be warned though doing a proper performance for people, even just the one song, can be very addictive. Purely speaking from experience :wink:

1 Like

Hello Tony,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Tony and welcome to the community.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Tony! :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey - it will be rewarding and I’m sure you’ll reach your own set goal of a live performance sooner or later. Regarding your planned practice time, I assume it’ll be sooner though! :sweat_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

i highly doubt I’ll be able to put in that kinda of time, my fingers and endurance wont allow it and I still need to get exercise in during that time as well (i’m on a serious weight loss and health journey as well after letting myself go during covid). I’m hoping that guitar will be my intellectual/spiritual part of restoring my mental health along with my physical health.

more info: I played many instruments when I was young (piano/organ, saxophone, trumpet, and some drums), then I hit HS and started playing soccer and dropped music, went on to play college ball. flash forward to when I couldn’t really play ball anymore and I started regretting giving up music, cuz that was a lifelong thing that I should have kept doing instead. would have been better for me. life and learn, trying to teach my sons the same lesson (oldest played college football, youngest blew up his knee and dropped basketball and football). oldest has some muscial talent, youngest never really cared about music other than to listen. Someday I’ll have grandkids, probably within the next 6-10yrs is my guess and I do wanna help instill music in them as something that is great for their development, guitar will be my vehicle to do that.

3 Likes

Good to meet you Tony, welcome!

1 Like

Hey Tony, always great to meet another Tony. The world needs more Tonys, right on!!!

I started playing seriously when I was 53 after a false start some years earlier where life got in the way. Now, well over a decade later, I’m so very glad I stuck with it. The rewards are huge. It takes a bit of stick to it attitude for the first couple of months, for me it started really getting fun when I could play my first song all the way through.

Rock on

3 Likes

Hi Tony
Nice to meet you :smiley:
welcome to the community

‘oldhead’ :joy: :joy: :joy: haven’t you heard? 50 is the new 30 :grin:

Love this! music is so great for this! (everything)

1 Like

Tony, welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hello Tony, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.
I wish you a long lasting and joyful guitar journey :smiley::guitar:.

1 Like

Hi Tony, welcome to the Community. Keep on enjoying the lessons and keep us posted on your progress and of course feel free to ask away for any questions you might have along the way.

Have fun! :slight_smile: :guitar:

1 Like