Hello good peoples from Jeremiah

Hello folks.
Really interested in learning how to play. Back when I was in my teens I took lessons and learned a song. Got smacked by a truck on my bike on my way home from a lesson and just kinda gave up. Broken shoulder and short term memory issues really put a damper on it all. I picked up a guitar again in my late 20s, but never really even tried to learn. I just made noise with it and cheesed my wife off.

Fast forward to a month or 2 ago and my daughter mentioned wanting to learn how to play guitar so she could play Nirvana songs. Took her to the music shop and she picked up the most janky guitar there for $70. While she wasn’t home I tinkered with it (both playing and fixing) and it really got me jazzed up about learning to play. I picked up a Slick SL57 for myself and have been practicing quite a bit for weeks now.

I’m in my later 40s and love to hobby hop (idk that I love it…. But it happens). I truly hope this hobby sticks. I think it can… it has elements of several interests. I love music of all types, electronics (love old electronics and tinkering), gear and shiny stuff (or not so shiny in the case of the Slick).

Enough rambling and disjointed nonsense.

15 Likes

Welcome

1 Like

Welcome Jeremiah! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello and welcome, Jeremiah :slight_smile:

Not at all; I’d say that was a great introduction with some nice personal mentions you shared with us here.

1 Like

Welcome Jeremiah, you’ll love it. You practice and move on at your own pace. Post videos of you playing, showing both hands, guitar, and your face if you’re comfortable as that shows a lot too. You’ll get great feedback and no one ever says anything nasty; just good, honest and helpful feedback.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Jeremiah!

1 Like

Hello Jeremiah & Welcome!!!

Hope you have a good guitar Journey & that you have a lot of fun along the way!!!
Good luck!!!

Tod

1 Like

Welcome. It’s always great to have new members in our community.

1 Like

Welcome Jeremia, you are in the right place, start at the absolute beginning and take it slow you maybe surprised at your progress. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Jeremiah, welcome to the community. Since you now have an electric guitar, if you have the money and the time you can spend a lot of money and time on GAS ( gear acquisition syndrome) buying an amp and pedals, but not so much that you forget to practice :grinning_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Jeremiah!

1 Like

Nice to meet you Jeremiah, and I hope you find it very welcome here cheers Hec

1 Like

She was clearly raised right! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Jeremiah,

Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun learning again :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

It’s a lot easier than it used to be to quickly play songs you thought were impossible thanks to this site… :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Jeremiah.

Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community.
Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space. View by Categories.

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ā€˜community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the Community Etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

If you want to record yourself to show your progress and / or seek feedback there is our ever popular Community Recordings section.

Behind the scenes there is a small and dedicated team who work to make the JustinGuitar experience as good as it can be. Check out the Onboarding sessions provided by Fanny.

Justin also has a small group of Approved Teachers he recommends for people wanting 1-to-1 lessons to supplement his courses - of which I am privileged to be one.

We also host regular (virtual) JustinGuitar Community Open Mic events for community members.

That is plenty to be going on with. It is a vast community space so if you need help as you find your way around just ask.

Cheers. Richard
| Approved Teacher & Official Guide / Moderator |
:grinning:

1 Like

Welcome, Jeremiah.

1 Like

I’m already fighting the urge to buy. I have some issues with going all in when I get into something.

1 Like

Wife and I are both big Nirvana people. I heard Bleach back in 1990(ish) and was hooked. My father had a cleaning business and one of his contacts was with a company that managed student housing for the local university. Found the tape while doing a clean out at the end of the year. Found lots of oddball stuff. Nirvana and Violent Femmes were the only ones that stuck.

What I love is that when I asked my daughter what her favorite song was, she came back with All Apologies from Unplugged. Made me smile that it wasn’t Teen Spirit. Nothing wrong with that song, just enjoyed the very specific song she gave.

Yeah, unfortunately slow is how I am going. Kinda stuck on getting good clean A —> D changes nailed down. I feel like I really need to get them down and down solid before moving on. I’ve also just realized that I’m crippling myself by looking, so I’ve kinda started over and am retraining without the constant looking at my fretting hand.

I did cheat yesterday and started to add in E, just to mix it up a bit. I’m getting bored hearing A and D over and over.

Hey there Jeremiah
Old toot here who started mid sixties.
It’s a fun long process.
I’m more than a bit jealous that you’ll be learning alongside your kid.

One piece of unsolicited advice: take your guitar to a) an experienced guitar playing friend to see if it needs to be ā€œset upā€, or b) take it to a good music shop to have it set up (maybe $75/guitar). If the strings are too ā€œoffā€, it just makes it hard to play, and you, being a nube, don’t know what is you, and what is the guitar, and have few ways to self evaluate. If that cost is not an option, Youtube is a great resource on setting up a guitar.

Also, I’d suggest querying this forum for ideas. Questions similar to yours have been asked before. You’ll get a whole pile of ideas.

Happy guitar voyage,
Bruce

2 Likes