Hello introducing no centz

Good luck with that truss rod, Calvin.

Wise move starting from scratch, there is no down-side to that approach. There is a good chance you will pick up at least one or two small things you didn’t know you were missing, and even if that doesn’t happen it costs you nothing to find out!

I just realized… if they were gonna charge me they probably would have asked me if i wanted.to fix it. I’m taking that as good faith.

1 Like

An excellent approach, Calvin. You’ll power through what you know, blowing out any cobwebs, and fill in any gaps/resolve any possible bad habits as you go.

Seems a reasonable conclusion to me. Hope all goes well and you are back in business real soon.

Most I dont need to do I’m more or so curiois of the differences from what I learned from previous schools.

1 Like

Guitar sounds great they did a great job. 1000% was a humidity issue they said. I remember the heat went out a few weeks ago. Pretty sure that was the issue. Zero balance. Good stuff man. Such a good staff.

1 Like

That’s such great news, Calvin!

Yes I am very pleased with the result. I’m glad cause 3 week old guitar breaking isnt a great start to the new year. But I’m back on track.

I’m currently taking songs and rewriting them acoustically and this stalled my project a bit. But only by a week thank God.

I’m essentially doing a song a week and trying to stream it. I’ve got one done although with the truss rod issue I may go back and redo the less parts of that song. Relearning the songs in acoustic is a big change for some of these but it’s fun to hear and compare the differences.

I’m also gonna start thinking about ways to apply each grade here to my materials. I’m probably gonna start up my improv segments again (essentially me making a rhythm then lead improv over top). They used to go 20 minutes but I figure I can get away with a few. Let me know if this is something that interests you here. And if theres a place to post them. If not they will be on YouTube.

But I plan to hit every grade and make something out of the material. Itll be fun to see what comes out of it. I’m also gonna look at the backtracks I saw and try to play along to those as well.

Needless to say a lot is gonna be going on while I try to regain my composure to play more regularly again.

Calvin, look forward to hearing how you progress.

I think it is a good idea to go through Justin’s Grades, starting from Grade 1. Given all your learning, you may power through those just as a refresher/review but may also pickup the odd new thing or gap in your foundations.

People do post improvs up in #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing. Usually the videos/recordings are posted on YourTube, SoundCloud, or any other suitable file or music sharing location and the links are posted in the Community. I just suggest trimming the time down for sharing to a typical song length, 3-5 minutes, rather than 20.

You might also take a look at #all-about-your-music:guitar-challenges. You’ll find some backing tracks to down load there which different people have challenged themselves to play an improv over. Can be both fun and inspirational to listen to different people’s ideas.

Hey Calvin - welcome welcome. You know, I think reviewing is a great way to assess where you are. I regularly go back and review earlier lessons just to reinforce my skills and to see what I still need to work on, especially when I’m feeling like I’m getting stuck. But when I do the early lessons, I laugh and say, “ahhh, easy-peasy, now! I remember when I couldn’t do that!”

Learning isn’t about knowing nothing (0) and knowing everything (100). It’s shades of gray in between… so I might nail an Em chord, but still struggle with the Dm chord, even though they were roughly introduced around the same time in my learning. Playing songs and practicing techniques you know well is also a confidence booster so you can tackle the things you are working on, extending yourself and your skills with new techniques - that make you improve.

f you only play easy stuff, you won’t improve. If you never extend yourself, you won’t improve. If you overextend and try things you’re not ready for, you won’t improve. So the learning happens on the in between. Looking forward to hearing you play!

Cheers

• Vinnie

I agree 20 was dragging but at that time I was also learning my scales and shapes so it made sense to do extended videos. Now I’m at a point where I want to join my techniques together and try new modes and that’s where I think the site here will help. Given there are back tracks chosen for you it adds the extra challenge. Itll be fun to try out.

As for now I’m continuing my project and last night got another song done. So 2 down and I think 4 to go? The rest of them are in d standard which is what tuning the guitar was in when it went out of wack. So itll be a good challenge to see what happens this time.

1 Like

I agree with your statement

You gotta push yourself even if you feel you can’t play it. Atleast getting used to the pace will help when slowing it back down. Also the whole playing things you couldn’t before as well is a big confidence booster. I never thought I’d never sweep. Now I’m sweeping and wanting to add more speed and endurance to it. It’s a great feeling.

Calvin, just keep in mind the ‘practice makes permanent’ adage. You want to stretch but if you practice mistakes you’ll develop associated muscle memory that is hard to correct as you go. So practicing it correctly at a slower speed and then speeding up slowly may seem a slower approach but many say that in the long run it is faster.

1 Like

100% agree. You usually can tell pretty fast when you need to slow down. Its then a matter of patience to push the speed slower and try again. A lot of people will.fight it and struggle. Even if it’s for 5 minutes usually it’s enough to help make a difference

2 Likes

Welcome, it’s nice too see you’re here as well.

-Lindsey/ GitaarMutant :grin:

1 Like

“Practice makes permanent.”

I want to remember that one.

1 Like

You’re here too!! Just a few more people and I’m starting to mix the sites with each other while scrolling🤣

2 Likes

Hey Lindsey! Good to see you here as well!

2 Likes

L. Justin makes this point often.

The two other favourites here are:

‘If it sounds good, it is good’, Justin.

‘Learn songs Learn songs Learn songs’ Richard (a Community moderator)

2 Likes