Hello, from Chris in Michigan, just introducing myself

@roger_holland

Yeah, well I know what distracted me…

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:
This…Ooooo Ooo I’m so glad I didn’t have a drink in my mouth, I laughed so hard, even the cat comes to see what’s going on … really :smile:

2 Likes

@roger_holland Tell the cat its the Tony effect.

OMG we are really hijacking this thread. Apologies to @CBVocals

2 Likes

Ps: Chris , what Tony say`s I echo … :innocent:
I loved your introduction topic , thanks for the loan and I hope it is a good omen… :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi there and welcome to the community, great to hear you decided to learn guitar again, good luck with your playing! Susan

2 Likes

Chris, Welcome to the community. I’m an amateur (trained) vocalist, but I started playing guitar in college and found it fun to join in sign-alongs. I have also played and sung for a weddings and funerals. If I have to sing, I keep the chord arrangement very simple and make the text and chords extra large, since my vision seems to get worse when I am nervous. I enjoy singing a lot of the ballad type of popular songs in Justin’s beginner course and hope to hear recordings of you singing and playing some day. Now I’m retired (67) and my voice isn’t what it once was, but I still enjoy it .

When I upgraded my old guitar I got a Taylor 400 series guitar at first, but finally was drawn to the Martin that I finally kept, but they are both nice guitars.

1 Like

The challenge with singing and playing, particularly as a beginner is there is so much going on that your brain is on overload. Once you get good enough at a song that it’s all automatic, done from memory particularly helps to, then there is mental room to also sing.

Yes, I look forward to being able to sync vocal and guitar rhythms. Working on “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” and it’s coming, but slowly.

1 Like

LOL! No issue with it at all. All in a day. I was trying to reply to a couple of you but can’t seem to find out how to do it. Saw someone else reply to two people at once. What’s the process for that?

Chris

1 Like

LOL.

My fiance (now my bride) was trying to find out about this guitar I’d been talking about. So we went into the music store about 15 minutes before closing. I’d known the owner for years, and I knew he was sick of me looking at the guitar (but hey, I bought a set of expensive drums for my daughter, soooo…) I played it for her and she asked if this was the “be all - end all” guitar for me, and I said yeah. I couldn’t imagine ever having the opportunity to even own a guitar like the one I was holding, much less one beyond it. Not to mention it sounded and played beautifully. So she said “Why don’t you let me hold it while you put your jacket on?” And then proceeded to walk it over to the owner. Swung it up parallel to the floor and said: “We’re not wasting your time, we’re buying today. Wrap this up.” You should’ve seen the store owner’s face. He was shocked, and my jaw dropped to the floor. He laughed and said “Chris, you picked a good one.” And man, I did, in so many ways. So that’s the rest of the introduction story on that. Thanks for the welcome, Rogier. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, Steve. Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been singing since college, was trained classically, but ended up singing various styles over the years, and loved it. Unfortunately due to an illness my voice has been compromised quite a bit, and I’m still working my way through that. But all is not lost. I still have my guitar and can carry a tune most days. We can still enjoy our music! Which Martin did you transition to?

1 Like

I normally use the reply button, like I have in this case, you can also tag multiple people, just use the @ character and immediately after type the first letters of their username. @CBVocals now has tagged you, and @roger_holland has tagged Roger.

2 Likes

cool, thanks :slight_smile:

I ended up with a Guitar Center special edition Martin (000-MMV) that is like a 000-28. I tried a D28 next, but liked the size, feel and sound of the 000-MMV. You can see it in my “Learning Log” post - SteveL_Learning_Log. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have built in electronic so I have been researching the best internal mic to add.

I had classes and individual voice training in college and was in several choral groups after college. I did a lot of solos when I was younger, but haven’t been as active in the last 20 years. Playing the guitar and singing helps to satisfy the desire to make music and continue to use my voice.

1 Like

Do you remember what the course was called?

And welcome, CBVocals! We’re all on a journey, right?

It’s interesting with acoustic guitars, some fit you well, other’s not so much. And then there is the sound, which is different depending on whether you’re playing live, recording or using a mic to do either.

Lee

1 Like

And welcome, CBVocals! We’re all on a journey, right?

We sure are. We’ve all a story to tell.

It’s interesting with acoustic guitars, some fit you well, other’s not so much. And then there is the sound, which is different depending on whether you’re playing live, recording or using a mic to do either.

Yes, I see that some guitarists will choose a guitar for live gigs that cut through the band, and another for recording.

1 Like
2 Likes

strong textWelcome to the forum Chris!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community Chris.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Chris. Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community. I’m arriving late to the hello and welcome party. By now you have been playing for a while - I hope you’ve made progress and are bonding more and more with your Taylor.
The Community is large, as is the website. If you need any help with a lesson specific question or with any general guitar learning question then do not hesitate to ask. There are many good folk here who will happily offer help and encouragement to those coming up behind them on Justin’s Beginner Courses. They embody and carry the pay-it-forward ethos we have nurtured for many years in our community. There are many old hands too who have years and (hopefully) a bit of wisdom they can bring as they give their support to those hitting the road blocks - which we all do.
Just ask if you need anything.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Community Moderator.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard!

1 Like