Hello, from Chris in Michigan, just introducing myself

Hello from Michigan! Back in 2006 I was given a Taylor guitar by my fiance - a guitar that my skill set didn’t deserve :slight_smile: . I had very limited skills, and was working on them. Unfortunately, life and work gained momentum and intensity over the next 15 years and I did not put much time into continuing my guitar pursuits. I was a vocalist first as a matter of fact and did a lot of vocal work in addition to my regular career. Lately I made the decision to finally put the time into really learning the guitar like I’ve always wanted to. I am unable to take classes around here, but I ran into Justin’s site and am so glad I did. I am moving forward and thoroughly enjoying it! This is fantastic. And my wife is loving the fact that I’m finally picking my Taylor up and moving forward. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Welcome abord, Chris!

Glad you made it here, it’s a very positive and supportive community. Wish you lots of fun with your Taylor and exploring guitar land! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Chris

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Chris, great to hear you are making progress. I’m a Taylor fan, have owned a couple of them. Which model do you have?

1 Like

Hey Tony, thanks. I got a 414ce from 2006. I didn’t realize at the time they put a battery in the Expression System (I was REALLY new to acoustic electrics and guitars of any real quality lol) and it corroded since I didn’t check it. Interestingly, the neck and headstock coating started to peel even though it was in a controlled environment. Turned out this was common enough and still under warranty. So they took care of it and I had them replace the Expression System with the newest version which now uses lithium batteries that don’t corrode easily, and is a better amplification system. They did a full check on the guitar, too. Really love it.

What do you play?

3 Likes

Thanks Chris, the 414 is a nice guitar. I had a 416ce and a GS-8. The GS-8 really sounded nice and looked it to. I sold it a few years back when I was gleaning. I have two guitars I play mostly, one is a Kallquist TM-006 aka ‘Great Gatsby’, that’s the one I always play when at home. For jams and campfires I play an Epiphone EF-500 aka ‘Racklesnatch’

2 Likes

Hi Chris & welcome! :wave: :smiley: Nice to have you here and I wish you all the best with your guitar journey :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Chris, glad you picked up your guitar again. This is a great place. BTW, I am a transplant to Michigan. Love MIchigan and this community.

1 Like

I love the tone of the guitar. Haven’t had the chance to hear a 416 or GS-8 yet. I did look up that Kallquist - beautiful guitar. I went to look for a demo of it but was having a hard time finding one.

2 Likes

Thanks! Great to hear that you made the move, too. My wife was originally from here, and I from the northeast. We eventually moved to Michigan and it’s a great place to live. I even found a voice teacher here that was second to none.

2 Likes

Hi Tony, a very warm welcome here! You’ve found a very nice place here. Congrats on picking the guitar up again. Good decision! Your vocal work will pay off. A nice, trained voice will benefit you a lot. Have lots of fun during your journey!

EDIT: Thanks to our charming @roger_holland I was informed, that I wrote Tony instead of Chris, sorry for that, Chris! Hello Chris :partying_face:. And @tony Tony: no greetings to you are ever wasted :wink:
@roger_holland elderly women are somewhat absent-mindedly sometimes :joy:

6 Likes

Hi Chris ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

And Andrea, @Helen0609 you’ve known Tony for a while, you don’t have to welcome him in Chris’s topic :rofl: … (hijack ++ :upside_down_face: ,well it`s a welcome :smile:) (This is going to :boomerang: me )

Greetings,Rogier

Edit:

Soo glad I didn’t make that joke :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Chris. :slight_smile:

I hope you’re enjoying your guitar adventure.

2 Likes

Hey Helen, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The world definitely needs more Tonys!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can only agree! Just a very little addition: more Tonys and their guitars :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:!

2 Likes

Hello Chris, and a warm welcome from another elderly (but very young-hearted) woman :hugs:.

Oh wow, what a wonderful gift :star_struck:. Regarding the skill set - this will come, no worries :smiling_face:.

I wish you lots of fun with your beautiful guitar :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Hi Chris
Nice to meet you!
Welcome to the Community :smiley:
I agree, a Taylor 414ce is a really nice guitar! Enjoy! wish you loads of fun on your journey :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Tony, welcome aboard. I’m a fellow Michigander from a previous life and left in 1979.

I have a Taylor 324ce Urban Ash Builders Edition. Funny you mention the issues with the neck, I had the same issue. Unfortunately Taylor was not as generous to offer repairs. They said it was cosmetic and did not affect the playing.

1 Like

Welcome Chris :smiley:
… and apologies for piling in on the hijack :roll_eyes:
Take me to Cuba!

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum Chris. As everybody before me has already emphasised, thi sis a very supportive place to be.

Hope you’ll appreciate the fact that your Taylor has matured over time even if you did not play it, and thus will reward you doubly now that you are. :wink:.

Looking forward to hearing / seeing you with an avoyp bringing your vocals and guitar playing together.

1 Like