Help us create a new area on the site - Chords library

This probably the most comprehensive Chord finder I have found, it has all of the common inversions included, a feature that I think is really useful!
https://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

2 Likes

I’ve still got the very old fit in your guitar case dictionary of chords.

20220131_115613|357x500

I do like how the chords are grouped by key. I also produce my own chord book of the chords I’ve learned to reinforce the learning process.

It would be good to be able to click on the chord and have an audio clip of how the chord should sound.

It would also be good to be able to link the chord to your dashboard progress to give a record and reminder of the chords you have learned.

Edit: one other thought would be if you could select a chord and add perfect chord practice for it to your practice routine with a click of a button and similarly be able to select two chords and add perfect fast changes for the chosen chords to your practice routine.

2 Likes

I agree. Considering Justin has encouraged us to make our own chord book from the start, it does seem a little surprising that this new resource has been suggested. Writing our own does help cement the information into our brains.

As you say Justin is busy enough.

Based on the comments above, perhaps a ‘Useful resources’ page would be a valuable new feature?

I know there is a balance to strike between providing links to guitar-related sites, channels etc that are of good quality while not either contradicting or competing with JustinGuitar.

But having looked at some of the sites, I tend to agree that this may be tending to ‘reinventing the wheel’

And my challenge, if and when I may need more advanced chord info, is to remember those sites, like jguitar.com, as I forget easily what is not used regularly and lists of bookmarks can also grow to be less than practical if not well maintained.

2 Likes

I am starting to agree with you and stitch now David about reinventing the wheel. I’ve looked up several of the links that have been given here and yes, it’s all been done before and it’s all already out there.

However I imagine Justin wants his site to be a ‘one stop shop’. He already has a metronome and tuner app and various other things that are already available elsewhere.

From a marketing point of view you don’t want ‘customers’ clicking off your site and onto others. It wouldn’t look good if Justin had an official list of ‘useful resources’ sites that do what his doesn’t.

1 Like

It may also attract more people to site when they search for a specific chord and stop to take a look around and say this looks far superior than where I’m currently learning.

2 Likes

Hi Barbara

My 2 cents/centimes

This is definitely a great idea.

To identify chords I use an app called smartChord. I can either search by name of chord, it gives multiple voicings and positions. Or use its chord “indentifier” to find a name of something I have stumbled on, basically tap the fretted notes onto its digital neck. Example of that, I have just been doing Justin’s Easy Chord Shapes UP The Neck and checking out Am, added my pinkie first fret on the e string and thought cool what the heck is that ! Discovered a beautiful D6 or A6susadd9 +edit when moved up 1 fret (and 10 subsequent possibilities when inversions and slash chords are factored in). I then moved that shape up the next and it sounded magic wherever it landed. So I am now going through smartChord to id all the chords at each fret. Plan being to substitute these if possible into a well known progression.

I have copy of NeckDiagrams2 that Justin recommends in PMT. I have mainly used it for scale diagrams and have the odd chord mapped out but plan to use it going forward to male a note of new grips I discover.

Regards associated info. Standard chord box for visual 1) showing fingering 2) showing intervals. But maybe include additional diagrams for inversions, so folk and see why the same shape can be multiple chords. Supporting text should support this in full. Description the primary chord, subsequent inversions where applicable. Maybe a comment on common uses for the chord ie genre Blues, Jazz etc.

Possible associated downloads - PDF, NeckDiagram file, sound file (Guitar Pro or wav/mp3)?

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I should have added that I can also see the benefit from a “brand” one stop shop perspective as Gordon calls it, as it could pull in more students. But I do agree that there are plenty of sources available, be they apps or online. As was said why re-invent the wheel ? Well I guess its that one stop shop concept.

1 Like

I’d like to blow my own trumpet for a minute, so please move my comment in a different thread if it doesn’t fit in here.

As others mentioned, Justin could use his resources to other, more important things than this chords library. Somewhat related to this is my gripe with the site’s search functionality. I think it would be quite useful to have a sort of index related to various recurring topics, like strumming/rhythm, picking patterns, chords :slight_smile: , scales, etc.

A few months ago I added about 30 bookmarks to my browser, all related to strumming and rhythm playing lessons in the new course:

Now if something like this was implemented, that would make the site much easier to use and the topics easier to find.

That’s my 2 cents but since we’re discussing site improvements, I thought I would mention this.

• I use OnSong as my iPad source for storing songs. They have a chord diagram tool I use altho it doesn’t include EVERY chord. I also have an old school paperback giant Chord Encyclopedia I reference also
• In OnSong I have 600 songs (oh trust me I do not know them all). I also have a 3-ring notebook folder of my most favorite (hard copies) songs. They are not redundant to each other, I wish they were but who can keep up lol. Travel: iPad; home: notebook more or less.
• Would love to see the standard box diagram of the chord especially slash chords

1 Like

Welcome to the community Meredith
This is not directed at you personally. You just brought up a really good point that needs addressing.

There is so much information on Justin’s Website already that people have a hard time
accessing it all.

I think a Chord Library will just be another part of the Website that only gets accessed by
people willing to use the search function, or who actually explore the whole site to see what
there is to offer.

1 Like

I think most of the beginner level chords are captured by open chords + 7 chords + slash chords + stuck 3,4 + sus chords + power chords which I have bookmarked so I can jump back to ie:

Plus Fmaj7.

After that the E and A major, minor and 7 barre chords cover most next sets of shapes and they have a whole module that’s easy to find eg (E Shape Barre Chords | JustinGuitar.com). I think everything beyond that is well treated in the Chord Construction Guide pdf or the Practical Music Theory course if you like coming from the theory side.

A single chord page that cross cuts all the lessons of chords would make sense, as with scales and patterns or lead lines etc eg if you have been through the lessons in order but want to find examples to refine a technique. That’s achievable with creating different practice routines / templates or custom lesson ‘playlists’ in the dashboard as well.

Another angle / approach is chords in a key and I like to put that together with the scale and the notation for eg piano also. I have a pdf with a grid of Major and relative Minor keys vs Chord function and I can scan for eg I, IV, V and then jump to the page for that key.

If I want to work out a chord from its notes I press the keys on the digital piano and Logic Pro tells me the chord… Probably not the most straightforward solution but it’s what I tend to do… :upside_down_face:

If I am looking up a song, most of the references I use (books or lead sheets or websites) tend to have chord grips already on the page or close by.

1 Like

The more I think about it I feel you are right Stitch. My tablet with smartChord sits by the PC on a stand as I run Setlist Helper from it and I’d probably go to SC automatically (takes seconds) rather than fire up a browser, then the site then search.

After all this talk I dug out my old Mel Bay’s Music Pocketbook 288 chords published in 1980, which I was given along with the Affinity for my 40th. Knew it was with the guitar gear but not looked at it in decades. Found a chord progression I wrote down on a sticky. Ain’t got a clue what it is !! :rofl:

I’m actually trying to wean myself off using references for this in favor of working them out myself. However, if I’m in a hurry I go to jguitar.com or chordorater.com or chordfind.com. I’m not sure if those are “the best” or anything, they’re just sites I have bookmarked. Or there’s a good chord reference section in The Guitar Handbook, a book I’ve owned for decades. FWIW, I pretty much never use a mobile app for this stuff. My reference material is either web-based from a computer or a printed book.

For things I’d like to see in a chord-related site or app, it would be:

• A nice, modern-looking GUI that is easy to use.
  • The ability to enter a chord name and look through different voicings up and down the neck.
  • The ability to do a “reverse” lookup where you map out the chord and the site tells you the name or possible names of the chord.
  • The ability to specify alternate guitar tunings (open tunings, drop-D, et cetera).

I don’t really use one these days, but when I did I had two sections. The first section was chords by key. Not all of the possibilities, just the main chords for a given key (built off each scale interval). The second section was chords by root note (so grouped as C chords, D chords, et cetera).

• Chord name(s)
  • Chord diagram (i.e. fretboard diagram)
  • List of distinct notes/intervals within the chord
  • Interval positions within the chord (i.e., which notes are root, which are thirds, et cetera).
  • Not necessary but would be cool: common substitutions for a given chord
2 Likes
  • What tool/site/app/etc do you use to find chords and why?

I either google or look for it at the main JG site.

• How do you organise your chord book/folder (if you have one)?

I don’t have one. Perhaps I should. At the moment they are all in my head for the ones that I know.

• What kind of written and visual information would you like to see for each chord?

Picture of the chord, and photos of finger, thumb, hand placement.

1 Like

I just found a site yesterday called leftyfretz that has left handed diagrams for chords and how they sound below. I think something like that would be really useful at this site for left and right handed players to refer to.

I’m trying my best right now to learn without the luxury of a guitar teacher and I figure the best way for me to start truly learning is to shift from chord to chord as explained in justinguitar exercises along with practicing the strumming and toe tapping mentioned.

Does it make sense to begin learning that way?

2 Likes

Yes, it does make sense to begin learning that way, but a word of caution. Be careful that you don’t just bounce around cherry-picking exercises and lessons with no clear structure. That is the path to learning lots of random things and never putting it all together.

1 Like

Thank you for the sage advice. :smiley: I don’t plan to jump ahead because I want a firm foundation of the basics. I like very complicated songs but I know they will frustrate me if I don’t gradually build up to them. Been there, done that! I will know I have improved my skill when I can just play all the chords through a simple song in rhythm. I will be so happy just to properly learn one song!

2 Likes

Yeah, this sums up where I am right now, too.

But you do have a teacher… Justin. The best there is.

I get what you mean though, your ears must be your guide, and you have to tell yourself if you’re doing it right or not.

You may have hit on a suggestion for the new Chord Resource they are looking to develop

1 Like