Help us create a new area on the site - Chords library

@suzieq

This is something that @LievenDV has been working on with Justin and the web dev. team.
Lieven is a lefty.
I am not sure what stage it is at currently.
Lieven may be able to give an update.

ps
I have moved your topic from the D chord topic.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

1 Like

I don’t know how in depth they want to do this, but that sounds like a great idea maybe with a link from the chords main page to avoid clutter. Maybe not a direct link but a dropdown list giving links to allow the student to explore for themselves.

eg. If you’re on C Major, a dropdown could show links to C/G and C Add 9 etc.

2 Likes

Hey @suzieq always nice to discover other lefties :smiley:
I’ve been pushing Justin for left handed boxes for a long time now :smiley: (read: years ^^)

@Barnatab; you are always allows move up the “lefty” requirement in the list :wink:

3 Likes

That’s another selling point, inclusiveness, that sets you aside from competitors.

1 Like

I wish to clarify my earlier post. I was not saying that Justin isn’t a guitar teacher so I worded it poorly. I have no “in person” teacher here in Indiana who can see and hear my playing and give suggestions. I’m really grateful that Justin is sharing his knowledge because I can afford to give a donation or two (and will) but not regular lessons at 40.00 or more an hour. Which is how I found this site! If I could afford 40.00 an hour I would definitely be doing it on top of what is provided here. So I did not mean to be insulting in anyway and I sincerely apologize if that’s how it came across.

1 Like

I’m so sorry I made you feel that way. I was being flippant when I said you had a teacher (a British trait I’m afraid) and was meant to be light hearted. You did not come across as insulting in any way. I humbly aologise for making you think you were,
Dave

2 Likes

No what you said was fair. No hard feelings. :smiley:

2 Likes

I use Chordify and Jamie Anderson’s for chord diagrams. I would suggest a page for each chord with is variants i.e, D, Dsus2/4. Min. 7th etc. and a link to a song that uses that chord.

1 Like

Hi!

I use Oolimo on iOS. Not only it is a chord library but I sometimes explore the fretboard and discover chords that I like and Oolimo is the only app I know of where I can “draw” the chord I’m playing and learn what it is.

At the moment I don’t organise any of it, I take a screenshot and save it to a page on OneNote.

The only way I know how to learn chords, thanks to Justin, is the chord diagram itself. A video definitely helps a lot to hear what the chord is supposed to sound like.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi,

A bit late to the party, pointed to this by Richard Close.

Firstly - I sincerely wish Barbara all the very best in her efforts to construct something for users who obviously have quite a wide variety of individual needs. It won’t be easy getting a clear view of the best way forward for the JustinGuitar site.

I have some sympathy for both views on the question of whether or not JustinGuitar should be attempting to emulate what is already available elsewhere. I personally use Guitar Chord Analyzer, as it has a comprehensive list of chords; it can be used to show varied fingering for specific chords or can suggest chord names from inputted fretted notes. I think the question here is who is this chord library for? If it’s for people who are following Justin’s courses, then it’s basically a case of ensuring the chords Justin uses are easily found on the site. However, if the library is going to cater for a wider audience (perhaps drawing people onto the site who would not otherwise have known about the courses) then a far more extensive library will be required.

I have a book of 2,400 chords which I bought back in the 1970s (yep, I’m that old!). To be honest, the vast majority of chords I’ll never use, but the blank pages have been filled with alternative fingerings and other chords that I’ve discovered myself. I also have folders of songs (mine and others) where I’ve had to add tabs for ‘unusual’ chords and fingering. I’m been considering how to make my own chord book as suggested by Justin and have been looking at Neck Diagrams, but I’ve not yet decided if it would be worth the cost to me.

Bottom line - I’d be very happy with a comprehensive and searchable chord library showing fingering and note names/intervals.

One last question which I don’t think has been raised yet. Would alternate tunings be catered for? In my self-taught capacity I’ve seldom explored anything more than tuning the bottom E string down to D, and I’m not sufficiently advanced on Justin’s courses to know if and when he introduces this, but it might be another consideration to draw in a wider audience.

1 Like

Hi Barb,

Sounds like another great initiative at JG.

Tools/Site/App
I mostly use JustinGuitar & the JG app to find chords as they’re guaranteed accurate :). If I can’t find a song here I rely on google.

Organising chord book
Earlier I organised it by chord family, i.e. A chord family, B, C etc. But after I started the intermediate course I now organise it in a spreadsheet by scale family i.e. major scale

Chord visual/written info
Think you’ve covered all required info but maybe also include diagram for all chosen positions under CAGED system or not - maybe leave out some details for students to figure out on their own.

1 Like

HI Barbara,

I arrived at this discussion from the Music Theory course, so I am late to the party. I don’t know what decisions have already been made, but from my perspective a chords section would help me most by mapping the learning of chords throughout the course. For each chord there would be links to lessons in the course and importantly links to some of the songs that use the chord especially in a song video.

I once used a guitar course, which I will not name, that suddenly introduced an Am11 chord with no information or context in a song. Without a song context I don’t have motivation to learn a new chord. So mapping more advanced chords to songs would be great.

Hopefully this is the sort of information you were requesting.

2 Likes

Not sure if this project have been put in the drawer?!

Just started on the Chord Shape Explorer Lessons and after first lesson I want to get my own Chord Book made now. Went to the Chord book lesson and wanted to see how others approached it in the discussion and eventually ended up here.

I have been doing a lot of exploring on my own. When I found something interesting I used
This guitar chord analyzer.

I find it very useful and also a wonderful support for my Practical Theory Lessons. There I can see notes on root, 3rd, 5th etc, the different names and think overall it’s such a cool site. It have quizzes, theory, chord progression etc

I really wish something like that could be part of the JustinGuitar. I have greatly benefitted from that site and think it could benefit others also, especially with the theory. :heart: :pray:

4 Likes

oh wow. Cool. :+1: :sunglasses: Didn’t know that one. Sorry

@Richard_close2u - I have one question though, on how I would go about to find the chord using the library, when exploring? Will there be a feature at a point where we can plot in on a fretboard, like some of the other chord finders? (Maybe already is and I also don’t see that, sorry if that is the case)

Could be xx3233 ( F 6/9 ) which pattern I have tried on several frets like xx7677 ( A 6/9) and easy could be something I would find interesting to use in connection with more common chords.
Would it be possible for me to find that chord easy within the chord library or am I better of using one of those external sites until my theory is good enough to just know it or in case this feature will be part of the library?

I normally Google search for the chord by name and look at one of the many chord diagram pictures that come up.

I organize my chord book by root note name (A, A#, B, etc.). I have a separate folder for each of the 5 CAGED forms as well.

The best value you can add to what’s already out there would be to show all various grips/fingerings for each chord, be able to cross-link the different names for the same chord, and include the triads or abbreviated grips that are commonly used.

It’s a big task, that’s for sure!