Hey Everyone!- Mark from Atlanta, GA Checking In

Hey everybody! I’m Mark, and I live in the Atlanta metro area. After years of thinking about it, at 58 I finally decided to get serious about learning guitar. As an official “Old Guy” I introduced myself over on the “Old Dogs” thread but figured it would be good to introduce myself here as well.

I have some musical experience but it was a long time ago. I played trombone in high school but after 1980 I didn’t pick up an instrument until 1999 when I first tried to learn guitar. A mix of too much work, not enough practice and not finding a method that worked for me led to me stopping about a year later.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and the urge to get finally serious about guitar hit me hard. I did a bunch of searching, found Justin and I immediately connected with his teaching style, sense of humor and general humbleness.

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112v and Line 6 amp and started Grade 1 last week. I have good flexibility in my work schedule so I’m able to practice both morning and evening. Fingers are sore but I’m really enjoying practice. A couple days ago I picked up a Yamaha FS800 acoustic to take with me on our upcoming road trips. I enjoy classic rock, heavy metal, Chicago/Texas blues and Jazz. There are lots of songs I want to be able to learn/play so I’m hoping I can build my skills and learn a bunch of them so I can start building my set-list for the party I’m going to throw when I turn 100!

Outside of work (I’m CFP providing retirement readiness services to employees of client companies) and guitar I’m a runner/fitness geek, craft beer lover and 2-channel audio nut.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community and enjoying my guitar playing journey!

11 Likes

I am pretty sure you will have fun here :partying_face: - Hey Mark and welcome to this awesome community. Wish you a fun and most enjoyable guitar journey :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :pray:

1 Like

Welcome, Mark!!!
Have fun!

1 Like

welcome to the community Mark!!

1 Like

Hello again Mark. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Mark, that’s awesome, welcome to the community. My dad lived the last decade or so of his live in Georgia, in Valdosta. I got to visit him there in 2016.

I started playing over 10 years ago at the age of 53 and it’s one of the best things I’ve done, my wife has commented many a time how glad she is that I picked up the guitar. It’s taken us many places and introduced us to many others we wouldn’t have otherwise met. Enjoy the journey.

1 Like

Immersion !!

Hi Mark!

Are you working in any ARS ?!? Would love to hear you play.
( That’s Atlanta Rhythm Section folks… )

1 Like

Hello Mark,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

i was stationed in valdosta in 86-88 (i think)

2 Likes

Welcome Mark. In you’re in good company. There’s plenty of us 50 somethings.

Hopefully we can all get an invite to your 100th :clinking_glasses::champagne::beers:

Enjoy

1 Like

Welcome Mark, good to meet you!!

1 Like

Welcome Mark. Lots of older starters here.

1 Like

Beer good, craft beer better :laughing:

So, is 2 channel audio what they’re calling stereo now? I grew up calling it HIFI.

I’ve got my old Onkyo 2500 MK-II Servo Locked receiver still. Trying to figure out what to do with it. All my speakers are hooked into the surround system.

Welcome to the Community.

1 Like

Hi Mark, welcome. Good your dormant guitar playing aspiration is now active and you found the best tools to achieve it.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

I better start saving more because it looks like I’ll need to rent an arena! :moneybag:

They are on my list. I actually live just a few miles from Studio One where most of their albums (and a lot of Southern Rock classics) were recorded. But, before ARS I want to learn a few Tom Petty songs as he’s one of my all-time favorites!

Stereo is what it’s still called by normal people, but when you fall into the rabbit hole and totally geek out about it, 2 channel audio sounds so much more important :rofl:

5 Likes

Welcome aboard Mark. I’m the same age as you and have just started my journey in January this year. Working through. Grade 2 at the moment. Surprised just how much I can do so far, hope it keeps going. You’ll have a lot of fun on this programme and this community is brilliantly supportive. If I can do this, I’m sure you can. Have loads of fun.

2 Likes

Considering the ages of many here, we’d best start practicing Stairway To Heaven :grin:

1 Like

Mark, welcome to the community forum.

1 Like

Hello Mark.
It’s just Richard here wishing you a very warm welcome to the community.
We have a wonderful vibe here and you woll find encouragement, support and friendship along the way.
Learn songs and enjoy.
:slight_smile: