Hey from Bryan in Mass - also just descovered this forum

Hey all,

I’m Bryan, 37 and currently living in Massachusetts. My entire family has played various instruments and in bands since they were young teens - besides me… I did run small project studios for a while focused on vocals… Anyway after moving an old acoustic I acquired from a roommate in NYC from storage area to storage area for 7-8 years, I finally took it out of the case and started learning how to play with Justin’s guitar app, some books I found on theory and exercises, etc. It’s been a little over a month and a half, my one old guitar somehow multiplied into 3 acoustics and 3 electrics, and I’m absolutely loving the journey I’m just finishing Module 9 of Justin’s course in the app (after the first level up to module 7 or 8, I went through the beginner portion/level 1 of 3 of another course to get additional perspective and learn some more songs :slight_smile: circling back for Level 2 in Justin’s app now!) . Somehow, since I found and just used the app the last month and a half, I didn’t know this site or forum existed. I just bought a Katana 100 MKII last night and found this site/forum looking for some sort of detailed instruction/course on the boss katana mkii - and Justin’s website course popped up (I don’t think it’s in the app - if it is, I’ve never seen it). Anyways, exactly what I was looking for… Re: Katana… I’m curious if anyone went with the Katana Artist? I have a few days if I want to swap out the 100 MKII - from all the videos they both sound incredible. Curious if anyone has any hands on experience with both?

11 Likes

Welcome to the J Guitar Community Bryan :guitar::guitar::notes::drum::studio_microphone::musical_note::musical_note::sparkles::sparkles:

1 Like

Welcome Bryan! Great to have you on the forum, sounds like you’re really well set up to make good progress :slight_smile: :+1:
I have both a Katana Artist (MKI) and a Katana 100 MKII. I love them both but mostly play using the Artist, but not because of how it sounds (as I actually think the 100 MKII sounds as good to my ears) but because the 100 is the one I would take other places (if that ever happens) so the Artist is more heavily embedded into my guitar room’s setup and the Artist has the knobs on the front (not the top) so easier for me to access whilst seated and practicing (as I have it sitting at table height).
I realise the Artist has some (minor) additional features and a different speaker, but if I had to choose now between buying that or the 100 MKII, I’d go with the 100 as (at least when I purchased it on special) it was half the price, has all the features I need, is slightly lighter to carry around and sounds just as good in my opinion.
Can’t really go wrong with either of those options, but I would recommend getting a 100 over the 50 as the extra features you get access to (like the foot controller) makes a big difference over the long term.
Best of luck! :guitar: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome Bryan. Good to hear you enjoying the adventure. We can all empathise with the early onset of GAS … Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome :rofl:

I am glad you discovered the website. While the lessons are on the App, you will often find extra content per license on the website. The App offers some convenience for lessons but I think its biggest value is in playing along to practice songs. You may benefit from scanning through the lesson descriptions on the website. And if anything grabs attention then maybe watch the lesson video.

Enjoy

Thanks for the reply! I picked up a used/like-new Katana 100 MK2 from the local Guitar Center already - I think I paid about what the 50MK2 costs new for it (and immediately ordered the GA-FS-EX, EV-5, & FS-6-figured that should give quite a bit of flexibility between the foot switches/pedal combo to simulate a nice board, with the ability to add additional pedals later if I like it - but they’re all compatible with the artist also). I got the 100 specifically because of the extra features/FX Loop/foot controller support. The controls on the back are a bit of a nuisance. It was the first thing I noticed today when I started playing with it. There was someone who was selling the artist MK2 head, with a 100 MK2 to use as a cabinet on FB marketplace in mint condition for something ridiculously cheap, like $400 (given the artist alone sells for nearly that used). It would have been a 3hr drive each way, and I almost did it. I have been seeing the Artist MKIIs popping up on Marketplace quite a bit closer for only about $80-90 over what I paid for the MKII, which is why I was asking. I did notice (after I purchased the 100) that the 100 doesn’t have some of the additional features like midi in, which can provide additional fun… also, I think there may be additional features in the artist useful for recording. But if the sound is pretty similar, and you can access the contour in tonelab now, not sure it’s worth even the extra $80-100 for more convenient knobs and a midi port… I got the 100 for a really good price though, maybe I’ll just keep an eye on marketplace, and if an artist pops up magically within $50 of what I paid for the 100 and within a reasonable distance driving, I’ll pull the trigger. Otherwise, I’m actually really happy with the 100 - and probably will remain happy with it until I hear the artist mk2 in person :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks David! I went a bit overboard, the good news is, I have basically everything I should need for the next several years and all stages of learning!

I noticed the extra content on the site, so I’m going to continue to browse around, thanks for the tip! Especially the content around in-depth electric guitar adjustments, amps, and tones/effects - I’ve actually been searching for comprehensive courses on that the last few days, so I was really happy to find them here!

1 Like

You can’t have too many Brians around (even dyslexxic ones :rofl:)
Always a pleasure to welcome new members, esp. when so full of enthusiasm.
Don’t be shy to share the sounds of all your new toys when you feel ready.
Enjoy the trip :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Bryan and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I’ve not got a Katana Artist but I am very happy with my 100.

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Bryan! :smiley:

Glad you found us and entered the guitar-path yourself now. :slight_smile: Wish you loads of fun while learning and exploring.

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Hi Bryan, welcome to the community.
JG had lots of material to offer: instruction via the app and/or the web site, song play-along with the app, song instruction, music theory, various technique-oriented modules, and of course the community to provide encouragement, helpful info, and entertainment.
Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Bryan

1 Like

Hey Bryan, welcome. to the community.

1 Like

Hello Bryan, welcome to the community

1 Like

Hi Bryan, welcome to the community forum.

1 Like

Welcome Bryan. Sounds like you’re set for a long time.

Wave to my family, will you? They’re in Worcester and the little towns west of there.

1 Like

I’m not too far from Worcester! My home is in Franklin, so about 30min or so. I actually lived in Worcester for many years, so I’m very familiar with Worcester and the “little towns west”. Some of my closest friends still live there and the surrounding towns. We tried buying a home in Leominster in the summer of 2021. Overbid by quite a lot and weren’t even in the top 3 :joy: - which if you’re familiar with Leominster, is absolutely ridiculous - a crazy time to buy a house. So - somehow I ended up with a home back in the town I was born in, after promising I would never be a townie.

1 Like

Yeah, the same thing happened here in southern Michigan, not so much up north where we are. I had three sisters-in-law selling and buying and one just kept missing out on house after house. My husband and I were 2/3 of the way through building our home and lumber, of course, skyrocketed. So, some grand projects have been curtailed or postponed. But at least we’re living here now. We’re not done, and now that we’re both learning instruments, it’s hard to find the desire to get back to trim work, etc. However, my husband assures me we WILL have central heat this winter! :rofl:

In the meantime, we just keep on rockin’! :guitar:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Bryan! 3 acoustics & 3 electrics within a month and a half of starting your guitar playing journey! That’s brilliant :saluting_face: I’m going to use you as my excuse to my wife to justify my 3rd Electric Guitar purchase in 3 months of my starting the JG courses :rofl:

What guitars do you have so far, if I may ask (I’m not asking for inspiration for future purchases, I promise! Maybe, sorta…)?

Wishing you a great guitar learning journey ahead :smiley:

Hey Bryan - 38 and in Bolton here, small world! I’m 7 months into the journey and loving Justins methodology. Maybe we could get a beer and play together some time :slight_smile:

1 Like