Heya, I'm Sean from NYC

Hello teachers, students and community!

I’m more of a forum lurker than poster, but I thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce myself to the community.

I’m a middle aged guy (29 years old with almost 25 years experience!) currently living with my wife in NYC. I’ve recently picked up and dusted off my old guitar after some 20+ years in the closet and wish to properly learn how to play it.

I’ve been using Justin’s Guitar lessons for about a month now and have been very pleased with my results. I now look forward to practicing four days a week using the assistant app and have even started the beginner music theory course (only missed 1 answer on the grade 1 test!). I’m only on Grade 1 Module 3 but I’ve been very happy with my progress and feel like I’m actually learning how to play properly.

I have to admit that I was a bit weary about spending the monthly fee for access to a website, but I’ve been truely enjoying my experience so far. Justin Sandercoe seems like an outstanding teacher and artist. It really does feel like I’m taking personal guitar lessons.

I hope this post finds everyone in good health and hope to learn more about this community while lurking around it.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community Sean and good luck with the journey. BTW it’s only the App that actually costs money per month. The website access and beginners/intermediate/style courses on it are totally free (with the exception of certain parts e.g. theory) although if you make great use of it and wish to show your gratitude then you can make a donation.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Sean, it is a great way to learn.

1 Like

Hello Sean and welcome. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your journey with Justin, it is a great one and very rewarding.

1 Like

Hi Sean good to have you here! Nickname of yours contains somehow Polish sounding name (blaskiewicz), you descent isn’t somehow leading towards there? :slight_smile: have fun with JG I am sure you will enjoy the course.

1 Like

With a bit of Paddy thrown in :wink:

1 Like

Ahh you are correct sir. The app has been incredibly helpful though. I don’t think I can do without it. Money well spent in my opinion!

1 Like

Haha Yes that’s my last name. I didn’t think to create a nickname. I’m second generation of Polish immigrants born and raised in Detroit, MI. …and Scots Irish on my feisty side. :wink:

1 Like

That’s the best mixture innit?! :wink:

1 Like

Sean welcome, that sums up how I felt a couple of months into the old Beginners Course back in 2013. The previous 2 decades had been spent going in ever decreasing circles. Glad you are enjoying the journey. And as Jason said, most of the lessons on the website are free but there are some paid one offs or subscription material but well worth it if you get to them. But hey check here first if you are not sure. Plenty of experience and advice.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome Sean. You’re in the right place to learn and grow.

1 Like

Hey Sean welcome to JG!

Not yet started on the music theory course, just got through all the grade 1 modules, Justin’s teaching methods well honed imo so I’ll be doing that bit later…

1 Like

Hiya Sean, welcome! No reason to remain a lurker around here, we’e just one big ole happy group, virtually hanging around a virtual campfire, pickin’ and grinnin’!

Oh, and 29 is not middle aged! You have to put in more time before you can claim that title.

2 Likes

Thanks Rob!

I decided to check out the music theory course while my wife was asleep and really enjoyed it.

I haven’t even thought about music theory since high school choir in the 80’s. The note circle that Justin teaches makes it so much easier to understand semitones and enharmonic equivalents.

Haha I’ve been 29 years old now for 25 years. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! I wasn’t expecting such a warm welcome!

The hardest part for me in grade 1 so far has been not skipping ahead to the next lesson. :wink:

To be honest, I’m still struggling to properly hold the pick. The first knuckle on my index finger wants to naturally curl up under my thumb so I can’t seem to get a good grip. The pick slides and rotates around and I sometimes drop it entirely which has become really annoying. Any advice?

Ah, reading comprehension is apparently not my thing! I got it this time around!

1 Like