Hi, Becky from Michigan Here (the NELP)

I bought my guitar at the end of November, about 2 weeks after my husband decided to buy a bass guitar and start learning. I originally wanted to learn back when I was around 14; 50 years later, (ouch!) I decided what the heck am I waiting for?!! After getting derailed by covid for 2 weeks at the end of the year, I started Grade 1 with JustinGuitar and am bouncing back and forth between modules 1 and 2, still trying to figure out how to set up practice routines though my dashboard. I’m enjoying myself so far to the point of neglecting housework, and I may have to start selling off supplies from my old hobbies! (Anyone looking to buy some yarn?) :laughing:

I wonder if I should try to learn that Beatles song about being 64?

note: NELP=northeast lower peninsula, the mitten part of the state

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum Becky

2 Likes

Hello Becky, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
Better starting late than never :grinning:. Now, you’re here, and that’s fantastic :star_struck:.

I can very much relate to this :sweat_smile:. Playing the guitar, and learning new things is so much fun :smiley:.

I wish you a wonderful guitar journey and look forward to hearing more from you :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Welcome to the community. My wife and I can always find better things to do than housework. Look forward to hearing more from you.

2 Likes

Welcome Becky! :wave: Cute dogs! :dog2: :heart_eyes: (we have a 14yr old blind golden lab, much like the one in your profile pic, such great companions). All the best with your guitar journey!! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Hi Becky, a warm welcome to the community!

Housework doesn’t run away :wink: Enjoy yourself and play guitar!
Nice dogs, I have a labby too.
Enjoy your journey and whenever you need help, ask for advice!

3 Likes

Hello Becky, a very warm welcome to JustinGuitar and the community. It’s greatt hat you’ve picked up the 6-string after such a long wait in your life. You’re never too old to rock n roll. And you’re in good company in regards to be a mature student.
Let us know if you figure out the Practice Assistant or need further help.
Regards, Richard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Becky,
Welcome and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome Rebacca. You have the makings of a band with your husband.

2 Likes

This is funny. I also neglect housework at times due to not being able to put down the guitar. Lol Welcome to the crew!

2 Likes

Thanks. I really ought to change my avatar, had this one for 20 years. Unfortunately, these two, Rocket and Luna have gone on to the great beyond. Here are my current 2, Ziggy the black beagle/lab and Kaylee. They’re doing their daily howling party here.

4 Likes

Welcome Rebacca. You have the makings of a band with your husband.

My husband is constantly running possible band names by me already. Often the word Fools is in it.

1 Like

Welcome Becky,

It’s great that you’re starting with guitar – you’re going to have so much fun! Nothing wrong with making practice schedules on paper if the dashboard isn’t your thing.

I’ve been playing for 26 years but I’ve been using Justin’s beginner curriculum to teach my 8yo son and I think it’s the best beginner curriculum on the internet (not to mention it’s free of charge).

Regarding ‘When I’m 64’, I’d guess that’s a bit aspirational for the level you’re at in the beginner 1 course. I see that Justin has a uke lesson on it, but on guitar the song features a fair number of chords and almost unavoidably requires barre chords (at least if you want to play it in the original key of Db major), which are usually quite difficult for beginners. I think most people would be ready for this around grade 3-4. I wouldn’t want to discourage you from trying it but just want to make sure you have reasonable expectations. If you won’t get discouraged trying a difficult song, it could be a good grower to work on over time.

As Justin points out, it’s really important that you are playing songs you love from the very beginning. It’s a good exercise to write down the top 10-20 songs you’d love to be able to play and then see which if any of them only use 3-4 chords and start with those. If you love the Beatles, Eleanor Rigby and Paperback Writer only use 2 chords and are great for beginners. There are a couple other easy ones with song lessons on the website.

3 Likes

Regarding ‘When I’m 64’, I’d guess that’s a bit aspirational for the level you’re at in the beginner 1 course. I see that Justin has a uke lesson on it, but on guitar the song features a fair number of chords and almost unavoidably requires barre chords (at least if you want to play it in the original key of Db major),

Oh gosh, I was just joking being as I’ll turn 64 in May, lol. I’ve been looking at the songs on the site and there seem to be plenty that I like that have the chords I’ve learned so far.

I think it’s great you’re teaching your son guitar. I wish anyone in my family had played an instrument when I was a kid and wanted to teach me. My grandmother had an old upright piano in her basement, but no one knew how to play, and no one wanted to spring for lessons for any of us kids. Ah well.

As far as the dashboard goes I finally figured out how to create lessons for me to practice in Module 2. The Beatles are okay, but I’m more of a Zeppelin fan. I can definitely try the Beatles on my way to playing Kashmir though…

2 Likes

Hello Rebecca and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

The housework will always be there tomorrow, so no need to worry about it.

2 Likes

Hi Becky, welcome. Good you finally could start your path towards learning guitar and are very entertained with it. The excitement of playing guitar should give you the push to catch up with those chores.

2 Likes

Becky, welcome to the community. I had problems with the practice assistance also at first and had to watch the practice assistant video several times. But I also played along with the Nitsuj video a few times with each of the modules, since Justin goes through a practice session live with timer, so it demonstrates how to do a practice session.

I usually practice guitar in the morning after walking our 2 dogs. Tomorrow will be 21 F (-6 C) in NC but that’s not so bad compared to North US and Canada (where it is 20 to 60 degrees colder - brutal). Keep the hands warm, frostbite is not good for guitar playing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Becky from a fellow “senior” Michigander!

Tom

2 Likes

Hi Becky,
Great to hear from you.
Looks like your hubby will have a grand time with the bass guitar, 2 less string to worry about.
I think you will be able to sing that 64 Beatles song, as it is perfect at this point.
Depending on the chords you use, I think you can deal with this song at this time.
That is a beauty of the guitar and the capo, as one can try to find the correct pitch of a song.
If you have any question on my comments, pls let me know.
You must have developed some callouses on your fingertips by now.
Singing and playing the guitar forces you to keep up (playing the guitar) with the pace of your singing, which develops your chord (good sound) and chord changes (shifting from one chord to the next). I learned playing the guitar, with the activity of singing, yeahhhhhh!!!
Keep on playing, and do not forget a bit of the chores, lol!!!
Warm regards,
Rene

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of watching Nitsuj practice, lol. That’s a good idea. I know Justin recommends 20 minutes a day 4 days a week, but I’ve been doing 7 days a week and for longer than 3 minutes now as I haven’t got as much finger pain anymore. I seem to practice in the afternoon after the second dog walk. Weather is much better today, only hit 13F yesterday, was already 16 when we walked this morning. Could hit 27F today!

ETA: Apparently there is no Nitsuj clip to watch, it says “coming soon.”
ETA2: I have since found the lessons.

2 Likes