Hi everyone, my names Andy, and I'm a guitaraholic... :-)

Hello everyone,

I’ve owned a guitar and I played around with it since I was 19. Let’s just say I’m not a natural… (but how many people are?)

I really started to “learn” in my mid 40’s about 5 years a go… I had lessons and got a few electric grades through RGT but have stopped lessons this year as it was no longer really going anywhere, and I was getting more out of the excellent resources on this site.

So many thanks to Justin for building up such an amazingly organised and thorough resource - you can tell it’s a serious and professional commitment for Justin, but most of all its his passion for teaching that brings me back and helped make me a better player. Respect to Justin.

I’ve always enjoyed playing so much. It’s my creative outlet, and I want to get better. I relax through jamming along to my looper, but also I love the learning. There is so much to learn and so many ways to play… this in itself is so interesting and rewarding. The guitar itself is such an amazing instrument, endless possibilities… anyway I’m rabbiting on… so its a journey for life for me… and I’m so grateful my wife understands (respect again!).

I’m fortunate to be able to make music with some work colleagues in a folk three piece (me on acoustic, a fiddler and a flautist), where I’m very much the limiting factor, but it’s great fun. But I do yearn for guitar buddies! Which is why I’m here.

My aim is just to be able to play well for my friends and family, and in the future when I have more time in retirement (a few years away yet ) get together regularly with some like minded guitar people and play a few tunes.

So, that’s me.

I wish you all well on your guitar journey, and I’m really looking forward to joining you.

All the best
Andy (or Onda which is a long standing nickname)
North Wales

9 Likes

Welcome Onda. Great that you have a couple friends to jam with.
That is something I have been longing to do.
Enjoy the forum !

1 Like

Cheers Woodroe - yes, it is good fun playing with others and really helped me improve.
But I was very nervous in the first few sessions, espeicially as I couldn’t play standing up, which they found a bit weird :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It was big week when I stood up and played… :laughing:
Thanks for teh good wishes - same to you.

Great stuff Andy, the guitar journey is certainly fun, rewarding and frustrating at times. I’ve been playing for 10 years now and still have moments were I am amazing that here I am after all these years and I’m actually playing live music.

My wife and I visited Llandudno a bit over 10 years ago, loved the place.

1 Like

Hi Andy welcome to the site! There may or may not be other guitaraholics here.

1 Like

Hi Onda
Welcome to the Community! I am relatively new here myself and really enjoy seeing what other guys and gals are working on. It seems to be a really supportive forum so hopefully you will find it enhances your guitar journey.
Interesting that you say you took a few RGT grades then stopped. I did exactly the same thing about 25 years ago. I found the graded exams totally detrimental to actually be able to play songs that in the end I actually stopped playing guitar after Grade 6! I could pass an exam but could not play any songs all the way through. Thankfully I returned to practice about 18 months or so ago and found Justin along the way. Now I am really enjoying my playing and starting to get a few songs under my belt.
P.S. I am also a guitaraholic…
Enjoy.

1 Like

Hiya Tony

Yes - we are originally from the West Midlands (Kidderminster - up the Harriers!..) and moved here 20+ years a go. Live in Flint but spend time round Llandudno and Conwy when we can at weekends .

Great, your playing live… played at a wedding and birthday once with bother in laws band and it was great fun…

Thanks for comments and good luck - see you around hopefully
ATB, Onda

Thanks Rob! I am a bit addicted to guitar but only have 4. I reckon I should be far better than I am the amount of time I’ve spent trying… :rofl:
Cheers and see you around.
Onda

1 Like

Haha 1 more than me for now! Wait there is another but in another country, so we’re even for now…

Obviously its not a competition but I have my next one planned :wink:

1 Like

Hi Les - thanks.
Yeah, with RGT I wanted to get into practising properly (something I struggle with ) and the fact the course work is a bit sparse (chord progressions, scales, lead, rhythm but no songs as you say) helped me a bit. Got up to Grade 5, which was my aim, and glad I did it as it gave me a real target to work towards ie. the bloody exam… :laughing:
It served its purpose but, your right its all about being able to play songs, and the course work is of such a good quality…
All the best - see you around.

1 Like

Welcome Onda to the community and I have problem with GAS as well :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Onda and welcome!

1 Like

:laughing: as my wife reminds me you can only play one at a time… I’ve got nowhere to put another one. But a semi acoustic would be nice… :laughing:

Cheers and thanks, Schmidtrock

:rofl: Cheers R.F.W. see you around.

Welcome to the Community, Onda. Look forward to hearing you play, would love to see some videos of the trio. You can post recordings here #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing

Hello and welcome Andy. :slight_smile:

The guitar is such an addictive thing but it gives you such a nice feeling knowing it’s going to be around for the rest of your life.

Good to meet you Onda and welcome to the madhouse, well we’re all a bit guitar mad here I guess. Jump on board and enjoy the ride.
:sunglasses:

Welcome Onda,
Hope you have a great time here, :smiley:
I reckon it’s easily the best place on the internet to learn guitar

All the best
Ruaridh

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Onda. Look forward to hearing you play, would love to see some videos of the trio. You can post recordings here #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing

Thank you David. Just checked out some of videos and loved your cover of hungry heart - one of my favourite Bruce tracks. Never had a go at that one, but will do now… the little band I’m in don’t do videos (yet!) but I do have some audio I’ll try to upload. Very basic recordings but will give a flavour.

The guitar is such an addictive thing but it gives you such a nice feeling knowing it’s going to be around for the rest of your life.

So right SgtColon, it’s such a postive thing in my life, that I’ll always have. Glad I stuck with it… and so much more to learn. Thanks for the welcome!

Jump on board and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the welcome Madman. See you around.

I reckon it’s easily the best place on the internet to learn guitar

I think your right, Ruaridh. Always found the materials to be great quality - and this forum is so positve, a real warm welcome from people. All the best.

1 Like