Hi from Dion in South Wales (UK)

Hi all, my names Dion I’m 31 and from sunny South Wales!

I played a bit of guitar and bass when I was in school but havn’t done much in the last 15 years unfortunately. My daughter has just started music lessons which inspired me to pick it up again so we can play together!

I’ve dusted off and re-strung both my electric and acoustic (the bass will have to wait :P) and just coming to the end of the first week of Grade 1 Module 1 (thought it best to start with the basics) and slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Unfortunately my amp has seen better days and has aquired a permanant buzz so will need to invest in a new one asap!

Looking forward on working my way through the courses and hopefully making some friends in the community along the way :slight_smile:

Dion

10 Likes

Welcome Dion :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello Dion,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
And it is always good to start at the basics :smiley:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Dion and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

A great motivator to be able to have a jam session with your kids.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Dion

2 Likes

HI Dion,
Welcome to the forum, and have a great time here!!!

2 Likes

Hello Dion, I’m from Llanelli. You won’t go far wrong on your journey with Justinguitar, there is so much out there , but I keep coming back here. Best of luck on your journey, stick at it , you will feel like you are getting nowhere and then it will start to click.

3 Likes

Hey Dion and Anthony, welcome to the community, nice to meet you both, look forward to hearing more

2 Likes

Ah same neck of the woods, I’m just down the road in Burry Port!

So far really liking the course, just need to make sure I put asside the time to get playing now.

1 Like

Hello Dion, and a warm welcome :hugs:.
I’m a big Wales fan. Some years ago, I walked the Pembrokeshire Coast Path and really loved it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.
I wish you a wonderful guitar journey and lots of fun learning together with your daughter :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome Dion. I spent 2 years at University in South Wales in the 90’s (University of Glamorgan in Pontypridd). Have fun on your guitar journey. On a side note I am Irish and am hoping you guys don’t turn us over at the rugby this weekend!

3 Likes

You’ll be fine Dion, I’m a lot older than you so, if I can do it you can!! I think I have high hopes of myself, but have to keep reigning myself in. I think the key is time, just keep going for it, little and often. Children are a great inspiration for us. Good luck and enjoy this amazing community.

2 Likes

Welcome Dion, you’ll have loads of good experiences here in supporting your guitar journey. And Kudos to you for striving to get the basics right.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Dion. If you haven’t already started one it’s worth starting a learning log to record and track your progress. It’s great to look back and see how far you’ve come along and the things that you never thought you’d overcome but did with perseverance and dedication.

2 Likes

Hi Dion, and Anthony too :slight_smile:
Nice to meet you both

2 Likes

Hello Dion and welcome to the community.
Going righ tback to basics to build from the ground up is a wise move, you’ll develop good habits and correct technique that will allow you to develop fully in time.
Enjoy it and I hope you have a blast playing with your daughter.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome Dion.

There’s music in them valleys if I recall right. Good to see another member restarting with their children and looking forward to playing together. Best of luck to you both. And don’t forget, help is always on hand here if you get stuck.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice!

Just finished this weeks last practice session which I’ve also recorded and uploaded to YouTube - I plan on doing this every week to keep track of my progress (will also do a log on the forums).

Looking forward to starting Module 2 Monday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

welcome to the community Dion.

2 Likes

Hi Dion, welcome. Starting from 0 with Justin Guitar lessons is the best option. Even if you remember some of the stuff from your previous time playing, you may find that you were doing some things wrong or there is a better way to do them. Have fun playing with your daughter.

1 Like