Hi, getting a bit lost here but having a go!

Thanks :blush: Yes, I perhaps do need to limit my playing time a bit an be more consistent.

Yeah, I was thinking of Tony when I wrote the post. I saw Sabbath a few years ago. I had no real expectations but they were great!

1 Like

I was fortunate to get help from a friend. It’s not that hard for simple stuff esp with open tuning. I liked the sound of the ceramic slide better than the glass or the brass ones. I also had the setup on my guitar changed with a straight nut and saddle and 13s for strings.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You just shot yourself in the foot mate-
No foul language allowed in the community, so whenever someone rubs me up the wrong way, I shall simply reply: “Don’t be such a Tony!” :wink:

David…Brian talks with a dirty tongue, get your gun

2 Likes

Roger,

1. I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that you had difficulty expressing your dark humour in English? :wink:
  2. If you want to go telling tales to the Man, you need to attract his attention by tagging him thus: @DavidP
  3. In the Beatles thread, when you are including links, you might want to click the link icon in the editing box. That allows you to convert the link into whatever you want to call it, like the name of a song, something like this Favourite Beatles Songs
  4. Oh yeah, I nearly forgot- Don’t be such a Tony :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
1 Like

1: :innocent:
2: @DavidP I think ,it’s necessary, he really still reads everything :grin:
3: Ooo, thanks, Lieven or Richard eddit me before, posting a whole video somewhere before, so
posting these links was already super computer tech nerd for me…i will find the good way
4: :love_you_gesture:…choose one of the hidden fingers… :joy:

2 Likes

@BernadetteG …Good luck, and have fun, and as long as the pain doesn’t stop you or gets worse…play the guitar…, and talk about the things that are going wrong, like you already do.
Greetings , Rogier

1 Like

I confess reading everything is beyond me, Roger.

For posting links, use the ‘chain links’ button in the Edit Window menu bar as you type up your post. Clicking it opens a pop-up window that looks like this:

That’s how Brian added the clickable “Favourite Beatles Songs” in his reply.

What a disappointment… :wink:

The chain links i found earlier…but I missed the addition of your own text, so that people see what they are going to click…Thanks for watching over :grin:

1 Like

Haha! I’ve been called worse things!

1 Like

Hi Bernadette.
Have a few problems - nerve damage to fretting hand/arm, so last 3 fingers do what they want some of the time instead of doing what I want :crazy_face:
Loads of scarring in left (strumming) shoulder so that flares up and stops play.
Neck joint and nerve impingement which is a pain in the…neck :yum:
Lower back injury and some seriously wonky twisty legs means playing standing up is extremely difficult.

But let us not be downhearted siblings! One total catastrophe like this is just the beginning :grin:

Hope you find a workaround for your thumb - I guess it depends on the mobility as well as the pressure you can exert as much as anything which may limit your play early on.

1 Like

For the next few days (or weeks) will you keep thinking that they will say something bad to you when you are called?
At the very least it will bring a smile to your face. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve just gotta be patient I reckon. I feel you on the crappy spine, mine does stop me sometimes - it’s a pain isn’t it. But it has encouraged me to play in standing more, so, upside! It’s amazing what we can work with though huh? Be damned if I’m giving up

2 Likes

@BernadetteG I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. With that disclaimer, let me ask: Have you informed your Physical Therapist about your love of guitar? When I have suffered various issues requiring PT to recover, I have found that helping my PT person to understand what I wish to accomplish goes a long way in targeting the exercises I am given. With a thumb, I would think a huge item would be to build up that muscle between the thumb and forefinger much like the first lessons in Beginner 1 in prep for the F chord.
Best wishes for your recouperation.

1 Like

If you really like slide guitar, it may be worth thinking about a Lap steel at some time in the future, here’s a look at one of my favourite Lap steel players:

She tends to play quite a lot standing up but most players play sitting down with it on their lap - hence Lap steel.

Hello Bernadette and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I’ve not had any physical setbacks but I hope yours is better soon.

@DavidP thanks for the pointer on hyperlinks. I’ve just been typing directly [what I want to call it] (URL) but without the space between the [] and ()

1 Like

Hey! Back after a break (struggling with motivation tbh). Thank you for your message.

I am actually a Physiotherapist :laughing: So I know what to do. I did have a hand therapist work with me in the early weeks though. My main issue is strength, loss of some muscle memory /proprioception (joint replacements will do that), accepting the losses and starting again. This and work work work!

When I practice, the muscle you mention tightens and reduces the range of motion in my thumb the next day. So I had a cool splint made to wear overnight which prevents this.

So I’ve had a little chat with myself and here I am. Wish me determination! :slightly_smiling_face:

Determination wishes coming your way! :grinning:
Keep at it and stay focused. You will not regret it.