Hi! I’m Carlos from Spain, now living in USA!

Hello my name is Carlos, I’m from Spain but I live in USA.
I started playing the electric guitar about a month ago and I really enjoy Justin classes.
I just passed grade 1 but I’m still struggling with chord changes that involve C. Mostly G to C.
Other than that everything is going better than I expected and it’s all thanks to the ability that Justin has to teach beginners how to play from scratch.
I can’t wait to play my first solo!
Saludos.

14 Likes

Be patient. Build the foundation before worrying about soloing. BB King once said that the he regretted not building a better foundation of chords and rhythm playing.

I’m certainly not a role model for anyone, but I didn’t even mess around with small solo fills for the first few years.

2 Likes

Welcome!

As for chord changes it just takes time and practice, no shortcuts sadly

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Carlos, great to meet you. Enjoy the journey

2 Likes

welcome. You found a great place to learn

2 Likes

Thanks everyone and thanks for the advice. Playing solos is the ultimate goal. I know I have to practice the basics for months and even years to get better. Love the way the modules are organized and I’m having lots of fun so far.

2 Likes

Welcome to the US Carlos!
What part of Spain are you from & where in Los Estados Unidos are you currently living?
Justin’s teaching method is so good!!! Enjoy the journey & remember that it isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon!

Tod

2 Likes

Hi Carlos and welcome to the forum :wave::smiley: All the best with your guitar journey :guitar::slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Welcome, Carlos. Just keep practicing C to G chord changes in your daily routine. You’ll be amazed how much better you’ll be in a couple of weeks.

3 Likes

I’m from Madrid and I live in Arizona. It’s kinda hot around here so it’s nice to turn on the A/C and play the guitar. I’ve been in the USA for almost 4 years and I started learning English 6 years ago (I’m 36) I know learning a new language or skill like this is challenging and takes a lot of time and effort. But it’s also very rewarding.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Hi Carlos,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
It’s nice to quickly record a video of your first songs you play… you don’t have to share it, just for yourself…because if you could think in a while, what have I got actually learned, then you look back at your first video with a big smile I think (I’ve had that…not the doubt if I got better, but the pleasure of looking back at yourself from “long” ago :smiley:)
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Carlos,

glad to hear you picked up guitar and started learning! :slight_smile:
I would recommend to you to make really strong base on starting chords on grade one.
My personal experience… is I am on Grade 1 Module 5 after almost 2 months and I still can see there is a lot to make my base stronger, so maybe slow down a little bit. But of course if you nail everything you can go on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Carlos, welcome to the Community…enjoy your guitar journey :guitar::notes::blush:

2 Likes

Hi Carlos, nice to see you joining this group! Picking up the guitar might be one of the best decisions in life. Hope you’ll enjoy your journey and as others have said, build up on strong fundamentals, it’ll pay of in the long run!

2 Likes

Welcome, Carlos! Take your time, it won’t be fast and sometimes you can feel discouraged and frustrated, but in the end you won’t ever regret picking that 6-string.
And I know that C to G and vise versa change is tricky and hard. I also struggled with it for quite some time. But with patience you’ll definitely make it through!

2 Likes

That’s so true!

3 Likes

Not long to wait Carlos - there is a lesson in Module 10 (the third Module in Grade 2) where you get a chance to play your first simple solo. For me it was such a satisfying moment!

3 Likes

Ok great! I didn’t know. I’m in module 8 now. Learning how to play “Wish you were here” and it’s going pretty good. It’s not a solo but I learnt the whole riff in two days and I don’t have to look at my right hand all the time while picking the strings which I think is a good sign. Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to the community, Carlos! :slight_smile:

Wish you lots of fun and joy while learning the guitar - there are a lot of exciting things to come your way! :smiley: But also, take your time consolidatin and repeating things you learned, it will pay off in future unlike anything else. All the best for your guitar journey! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Carlos, welcome to the community. You will get more practice playing the C and G chords as you learn Grade 2 songs. Take the time to learn all of the lessons in Grade 2 if you want to solo, especially the scale exercises. Have fun learning new things, but also take the time to review the Grade 1 skills you have already learned . As others have said, have patience and enjoy each part of your guitar journey.

2 Likes