House of the Rising Sun Improv, First real video

that is Amazing!:raised_hands:t2: Well done!

1 Like

Well done, Eric! Umm, I mean, well done Rogier!!! You looked completely in control and in the groove and your tone is great. That did not sound like anyone else playing House of the Rising Sun, it sounded like you playing it, and playing it very well.

Are you taking requests? Cause I’d love it if you would segue from that right into a little bit of BB - The Thrill is Gone!

1 Like

Ha ha, Thank you Dave,
But but really too much credit…
And I would also like to play some BB King :joy:…but “a bridge to far” we know well in Holland, although I now have this lesson ready to try next week…I am a huge admirer of BB King,
THE THRILL IS GONE [SOLO] LESSON.
Have a nice day,
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Glad you got the video posting sorted Rogier, that was well worth the effort to help you !!
You have invested your learning and playing time very wisely sir ! That was entertaining from start to finish. Loved the way you worked with the melody but made it more of an impro but also owned it, by the licks and runs you were playing. They dovetailed into the original perfectly.

Chappeau ! (raised hats !!)

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, and thanks again Toby,
Still :blush:
Greeting and cheers for you later :sunglasses:
Rogier

1 Like

Impressive improve. As dave911 said, you made it with your own individual style. I had to sing along with it and enjoyed a second listen!

1 Like

Brill! Well done, mate!

1 Like

Very enjoyable…nice picking and nice tone…thanks for posting.

1 Like

Thanks Pamela,
That’s a big compliment…it must not be about me when something like this is written,…now the great thing about this forum is, that everyone is super nice and you really have to ask for ( constructive) criticism. (I’ve never been part of another forum/facebook or anything, or even read something on a comunity for longer than a few minutes)., but know that things are often very different elsewhere…
Greetings, Rogier

Roger, my 2cs worth on what is a question that’s been raised before a few times.

I think what is tricky is perhaps being able to pitch those more constructive suggestions about flaws and what is missing at an appropriate level.

For example when I posted a blues lead study some suggested that it would be improved by adding vibrato. This I know but have not got their yet. So being able to add suggestions that are helpful is not always easy.

And often we are aware of what needs improvement when we watch ourself and listen.

So mostly people are encouraging. I think lots of people have doubts, are super self critical. And for them one just needs that acknowledgement of being on the right track and making progress.

But if you ask explicitly then you may get more ‘critical’ comments.

1 Like

This is indeed where it really comes down…

and the rest of what you type is also very true…
Apparently I find it more difficult than expected to only get nice / sweet comments, it really makes me blush … my wife thinks I am very sweet and nice and gives compliments, but yes, she is obliged as my wife :innocent:( and vice versa too :grin:)
Thanks and i wish you a nice day and sunny day,and finally some sun here :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Rogier, sounded very good and you looked as calm as collected as if you’ve been performing all your life.

1 Like

Well done mate, sounds great! Nice play all around!

Keep rock’n,
LB

1 Like

Dave @DAVE_J and Ken @lankytwang and @LBro ,
Thank you for your comment… Have a nice and musical day…
Greetings,Rogier

Roger, you should be proud of your ‘Variation on the Theme of a Folk Song’!

1 Like

Thanks Alan,
Greetings ,Rogier

Very cool instrumental version of the song; well played!

1 Like

Thanks Jason,
I hope in a year or (??) to come a bit near you,…not with singing unfortunately, that ship passed when I was about 11 and a half…and only with a harmonica as a side- instrument,…but well,…I still have a little bump to go :grin:…but i’m enjoying the moment :sunglasses:

1 Like

Making music and enjoying the moment. That’s what it’s all about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great job. This is one of my favorites to play acoustically. It was nice to see your take on it.

1 Like