How are your instruments coping in the heat

Just brought my guitar from the ‘cool’ room where it has been all day to where I normally play it and it’s 33 deg.
interestingly all the strings are out of tune, some by quite a lot.
Just going to let it settle down and wait till tomorrow.
No aircon so can’t do anything about the temperature.
Michael :-1:

Guys 34 degrees in my kitchen, no biggie :rofl: I tuned my guitar few days ago when I noticed something sounded off. Well at least half step down on each string, I will check later in the evening what is it today! Now where is the forecasted rain I am waiting for about last hour?!

1 Like

I feel for you guys. I live right beside the Rocky Mountains it was a pleasant 12C when I got up this morning and the High today will be 27C.
Whole different story 2 hours from me yesterday.

1 Like

Times are a changing !
:scream:

We’re talking about guitars going out of tune, not using them for something they were never designed for by sitting on them. My point is that wooden objects and the substances used to bind them together don’t spontaneously break down and fall apart when they get a bit hot or cold.

I had a perfectly standard acoustic guitar in Ecuador, and it was absolutely fine whether I was in 45C heat near the coast or 25C up in the mountains. Also, Justin would hardly hold his workshops on tropical desert islands if heat was a concern for the health of people’s guitars. :slight_smile:

I can understand people being concerned about their precious instruments, as I am myself, but spreading misinformation is not helpful. The fact is that the current heatwave will not damage a guitar, unless you leave it out in the sun.

I think they are potentially damaged, why take the risk buy a new guitar!

Signed -
Dr GAS.

2 Likes

I was being facetious, but they are more susceptible to heat/humidity reactions than the article’s that you’ve pointed out!

Crikey, some interesting reactions!! I was more just making the original observation having not had a guitar in this kind of heat before! I’m not worried about them, just found it interesting.

And besides, being British I have to weave some kind of weather tangent into our world :wink:

4 Likes

Wow sounds like really unusual weather for all of you out there, especially in the UK and Holland. I lived in Europe years ago and don’t ever remember it quite so hot. Where I live in California it is usually about 21 C year round and has been just as hot as you all have been seeing. That darn global warming I think. That last video I made I kept dropping the pick because it was so hot and humid in the room, which never happened before. So far my guitars have been safe though. Take care

Jeff

Wow Toby… strats to SGs to LPs…rough choices to make. :slight_smile: Kudos to you for keeping them all sounding great-love your music.

1 Like

One more thing came to mind out of curiosity, do you guys in the UK and Netherlands cook outside in the summer to keep the house from getting hot? I sure do here. I remember in Germany people did sometimes. My grandfather lived near Stuttgart and he once told me after the Americans left post WWII, they taught Germans how to grill so that became a thing over there. I was surprised to see him grilling one time I was there at his house years back. I never made it to the UK and my time in the Netherlands was mostly in Amsterdam doing things we shouldn’t…just a thought as I go back to my grilling and leave this hot house.

2 Likes

Please put water out for the critters.

Up high for the flying ones, down low for the crawling ones. Bowls of water with pebbles so the water is very shallow for the insects. Make sure all containers are shaded.

If you walk a dog, check that you can put the palm of your hand on the road surface. It should be comfortable for you and therefore pooch’s paws.

:bat:

7 Likes

I think we’ve cooked one meal indoors in the last 3 or 4 weeks Jeff!

Hi Maggie,
That was exactly what I meant…but not so clearly said… :grimacing:
But we should actually say it in every topic in such a heat period … because … well I’m not going to talk about that now…our garden is now full of water bowls high and low,…for everyone who does that, don’t forget to empty them once every 10 days (just to be sure and gives you some slack) because that saves some mosquitoes in your garden … at least in our regions so as not to spread the tiger mosquito further…
Greetings…

2 Likes

Yep and we continue to do nothing about it. It’s crazy!

I hope you are safe from all the wildfires Toby?

1 Like

Luckily nothing near here. We are surrounded by corn and wheat fields. Wheat as usual has been cut and bailed so no risk of fires from them. That’s the biggest concern when the mercury goes up but the farmers are always ahead of the game. We are lucky in so much this part of Normandie is either agricultural or forests. Not a lot of shrubland like in other areas. Its a pleasant 19c at the moment, so off for my riverside dog walk, that I have not been able to do for over a week, too exposed and too hot !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

The UK suffered its hottest temperature ever recorded yesterday 40.2 Celsius.
There is a heatwave happening. Some folk refer to the heatwave of the summer of 1976.
Here is a comparison. Note, the colour coding shows temperatures compared to ‘normal’ taken across a span of years.

-

In 1976 the UK was one of the warmest places relative to normal across the globe, with most areas cooler than average.
In June 2022 the UK was just one of many hot regions in a mostly warmer than normal world.

This NASA Climate Change video is worth a minute of your time:

5 Likes

Climate change with undeniable effects in multiple places, only so many 1 in 1000 year events you can have a year.

I’ll stop now though before getting too political this isn’t the place

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been using my Slow cooker, Steamer and Halogen oven out in the Conservatory with all doors and windows open and the doors to the house firmly shut. It’s a lot better than cooking in the house, plus it gets us eating outdoors also which is fun!

Haha, I remember those :beers:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about :rofl:

1 Like