How are your instruments coping in the heat

Good move.
In the future, homes in northern Europe will no longer be carpeted but have cool tiling on the floors. Then the whole family and its dog can lie down to cool down! :wink:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I’m glad to hear you are safe Toby.

@Richard_close2u That is a really good and impactful way to show it Richard.

1 Like

That’s an unbelievably striking comparison Richard and a completely clear illustration of what’s going on. The Antarctica region profile there is staggering!

Coolest summer of the rest of your life…

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Nothing new for me…but I didn’t get used to it… :pensive:
Greetings…

As I recall the summer of 76 in the uk it was not just the temperature but the period without rain that was an issue.

Yes but the try to kill LPs ! These floors are cool but dangerous for us guitarist. Whatever happened to shag pile. There’s an opening for @brianlarsen :rofl:

3 Likes

Funny to see this topic about temperatures, here in Spain (Madrid specifically) is unusually hot this year, with some days reaching 36 or 38°C.
I took my acoustic to a Luther last week since it didn’t sound right. He suggested to change the bridge for a higher one, and told me the heat could’ve made the top of the guitar to get “flatter”? Sorry but I don’t know how to explain in English.
He also said that a couple of more cases like this had come to his shop, and said it’s possible in the winter or when this heat wave dies out maybe I’ll have to change the bridge again.

So it appears heat can have an impact.

Haha, you forgot about me - Brian is an amateur :joy::joy::joy:
Do you know how said carpets got their name??? I don’t think that it’s clever for me to elaborate…….

1 Like

Methinks someone is trying to take advantage of your naivety!
Yes the extremes of weather will make a difference but if you’re careful to protect it from the extremes of temperature and humidity then it will be ok. It’s mostly the guitars that are made from all solid woods rather than those that include laminated woods that are worst affected. The best materials from the point of view of being the least affected are the composites like Carbon fibre or the materials used by Martin on their lower price range called High pressure laminate HPL - this is basically what used to be called Formica, it’s a resin bonded material and it’s quite widely used now.
I have guitars and Ukuleles made from both types of materials and they’ve survived ok with minimal attention - I put the more vulnerable instruments in their cases if there’s going to be extremes of weather and try to keep the room they’re in shut from the extremes of the rest of the house as much as possible, apart from that no further attention. If there’s going to be unusual extremes like this week I detune them a full tone just to put less tension on them.

I think Kevin meant Saddle not Bridge and it is very common for people who live in very hot environments to have a winter and summer Saddle for their guitars.

Ah I see, but why not just detune and use a capo? I’ve been doing that with the guitar I keep at our Caravan (Trailer maybe?), we get 10° to 35° there same day!

For the most part my instruments are used in climate controlled conditions, so they really haven’t had much coping to do. If I’m playing outdoors I use my Road Series Martin, which has a “Stratabond” neck and “Richlite” fingerboard and bridge. Compared to natural wood, those materials are less sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

We’ve been hearing about the UK heatwave on the news here.

I live in a climate which varies between humid high temperatures in summer (highs mid 30’s every day, sometimes 40 degree and over days) in summer and dry cool temperatures in winter (highs around 15-18, lows around 3-4).

I have to tune my guitars every day, that’s totally normal here. They get either flatter or sharper with the weather. Acoustic varies more than electric as it’s solid wood and heavier strings.

I wouldn’t go changing saddle or nut. It’s the neck changing shape, so this is what a truss rod is for I believe? That’s all I’ve had to tweak so far with big seasonal changes. Mostly I just retune and go.

Here in NZ your house swings between 5 degrees below outside in winter and 5 degrees above in summer…

1 Like

I grew up in NZ and yeah… houses aren’t insulated very well (at least the ones I lived in).

1 Like

On an acoustic it’s not the neck it’s the sound board that changes first. They swell with high humidity and shrink in low humidity. They also expand in the heat and contract in the cold. All these will change the sound and action on the guitar. I know a few working musicians who can’t control humidity/temp changes on their acoustics when on the road who have a summer and winter saddle.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

On top of that, the truss rod was unglued to the fretboard (I hope I’m explaining it right).

The guy detuned the strings and I saw it clearly… It must come from a hit on the guitar from what I’ve been researching.

@jkahn
JK
I think for most of us in the uk the temperature was beyond what we come to expect, broke records. As I said in an earlier post when picked up my guitar later in the day it was really a long way out of tune so much so I didn’t try to tune it and just left it till the next day.
We have an outside thermometer which is in the shade and it topped out at 38.4 late in the afternoon.
Phew
Michael

1 Like

You definitely know a lot more than me on this Rick. My acoustic was solved by truss rod adjustment at the music shop (particular guitar needs a special tool). Clearly not always the case.