How can I be as good as Tommy Emmanuel?

Here’s Tommy answering the question from a young guitarist “How can I get to the stage that you’re at today?” You’ll find it at 10.10

12 Likes

Sigh, that boat has sailed. Play all the time starting before the age of 12….

That is ok, I love hacking away. If I can be 10% of Tommy in 30 years (86yo) I will deem it an unexpected success!

3 Likes

I feel the same way Joshua and my expiry date is a lot closer than yours :smiling_face:

1 Like

@batwoman Thanks for posting this it was a great watch. Tommy is inspirational and it turns out that Connor Thomas has become a fine musician, I’ve just taken a look at his website and he’s playing producing and writing songs his hard work paid off.

1 Like

Thanks for the inspiration. Thanks to you I’m officially becoming a thief!!! Will you visit me in jail? Bring a cake with a hacksaw blade??? Please?

4 Likes

And there he is jamming with the man himself

2 Likes

Such good advice. Keep working at it, it’s work not luck. You’ll meet people better than you and that’s ok. Play good music instead of trying to just have the best technical skill.

Thanks for the share @batwoman

3 Likes

@Socio Thanks James :+1:t2:, there can’t be anything more satisfying as an artist to see how you’ve influenced people and given them direction. This was 5min38 secs of sheer entertainment and to think Connor would only have been about 17 when this was recorded bravo!

2 Likes

Thought I would look into Thomas Connor as the performance was at the Sage in Gateshead which is very close to where I live. Apparently he lives a little further away but still quite close.
however his Facebook page does not look good he seems to have had some sort of accident and the injuries don’t look good for a guitar player. If you are not squeamish take a look.
Hope he makes a full recovery.

1 Like

@MAT1953 That must have been some nasty fall to cause those kind of injuries, it looks like he’s posted some upcoming gigs for August 2022 on his webpage hopefully he’s on the mend and back on track with making music.

2 Likes

SOLID advice!
I’ve been checking a lot of TE interviews lately and he diverts attention from his technique to the the point that you are an entertainer and you’re there to make the peopel feel good. Technique is only a part of it. Choice of music, tasteful interpretation ,decorations, some jokes, something to learn and remember.

3 Likes

@jkahn and @LievenDV here’s another interview filled with inspiration, lots of gold nuggets and Tommy’s sense of humour.

3 Likes

@Socio vWow James, thanks for this. He sure has taken Tommy’s advice to heart. Reading further down this thread I see that Connor has been injured. I wish him a speedy recovery and a return to full health and function.

1 Like

And let’s not forget Justin’s interview with him

1 Like

@tony it’s a yes to all of this. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the vids I saw recently, isn’t that guy a GEM? :smiley:
I’ve got a lot of good info from that video so I recommend it to everybody.
Grab a good coffee and enjoy!

1 Like

@LievenDV he surely is. I’ve watched this video 3 times now and keep finding more gold. There’s something in this video for everyone, beginner to advanced. You, as an advanced player must be finding so much in it to inspire and inform you. I’ve replayed the harmonics he plays at the start of the video so many times. They almost make me faint.

@Socio thanks James, I didn’t know about this one. Will follow this up later today. I’m having a Tommy binge atm.

“Advanced” cough :wink: I do a few things and “sell 'em” while I’m at it :stuck_out_tongue:
Indeed, there is stuff for everybody there. The harmonics stuff is beyond me for now but on how to be a band on your own and bring “surprise moments” intrigues me. I had his albums on shuffle in the car, doing my part driving back from our holiday location. That’s just the music that is soothing but seeing him on stage and what he does in between songs is just as entertaining!

1 Like

Hi,
I like to hear this gentleman talk as much as play music :blush:…I was introduced a while ago through the TED-talks…absolutely worth gold to see…
And in between…a whole topic about Tommy Emmanuel…more than a day old 20 posts and NO
@brianlarsen …Hey Brian, do you have something to say about Tommy Emmanuel? :joy: (There are plenty of new people so it’s okay)
Greetings…

1 Like