How to Link Guitar Chords using Scales

Thanks, I missed that when looking back at it.

1 Like

Have them mapped out in a spreadsheet for reference. :smiley:

As to the Key with both A and C major ? None I believe, as they are 3 semi tones apart. So would be used as a borrowed chord. For example in the Key of A Major borrowing the III C from the Key of A minor.

Someone more knowledgeable like @Richard_close2u or @stitch will confirm that. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Correct Toby.
A major can be in the same keys as:

A, D, E (I ,IV, V)
E, A, B, (I, IV, V)
D, G, A (I, IV, V)

If a progression has both A major and C major one of them is an ā€˜out-of-keyā€™ chord. Borrowed from a different key.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

3 Likes

If not found yet, I think the talk about alternating bass notes is part of the slash cord lesson

2 Likes

Thanks Mike will take a look. I did that under the old BC so it may have been updated. But pretty much sussed it out in the meantime with some non Justin stuff Iā€™m working on. Thx.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Non Justin stuff??? How very dare you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

@mdsousa is on it. The slash chord lesson involves laying a bass note onto an open chord. That bass note is a good start for a climb.

1 Like

Is there any songs that are suitable for practicing this?

2 Likes

Can someone suggest a song to practice the chord linking C to G? Itā€™s difficult to find a song which matches the country style rhythm that Justin shows in the video. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

is a good one. Iā€™m not sure Justin includes the bass runs in his lesson, but you could add them. The whole song is just C and G.

Blowinā€™ in the Wind (no Justin lesson) is another song that has the C-G bass walk down. Or you could take any A-D-E song that Justin teaches and transpose it to the key of G. In other words A ā†’ G, D->C and E->D. Now you have plenty of C <-> G transitions to play around with.

2 Likes

Hmm, like @Adi66 mentions I donā€™t recall an alternating bass line course in grade 2. Yes there is the slash chord lesson, thatā€™s not about alternating bass though like mentioned - and the songs mentioned there donā€™t really use alternating basslines, they use moving ones (yes Iā€™ve been practicing some). Iā€™d really like to learn the right way to do that.

The lesson content makes sense - moving up and down a scale between chords - but that alternating bass in a chord, are there specific ways that should be done? The closest Iā€™ve seen on this so far is the ā€œI Walk The Lineā€ lesson, but that only has a couple of chords in it.

Thanks.

1 Like

C to F is rushed a little in its explanation, finding it tricky to get my head around it!

1 Like

I decided to sit down on a cold, dreary Sunday and lay out a chord progression that allows me to practice all the different changes Justin mentioned in the video. Hereā€™s what it looks like:

G - C - F - C - A - E - A - D -
Am - Dm - Em - Am - D - E - A - D -
Am - Em - Dm - Am - D - A - D - A -
C - Am - C - G - E - D - A - E -

The progression ā€œmodulatesā€ between the keys of C and A after every 4 chords.
There are actually 3 more chord changes in this than specifically mentioned in the video, but like Justin said, ā€œexplore!ā€

Iā€™m starting off by strumming 2 bars (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ) of each chord and experimenting with different ideas for the 2-note links to replace the last ā€œ4 +ā€.

It wonā€™t win any Grammys, but it gives me one exercise to practice a bunch of links and to explore which link ideas sound good to me.

Maybe others will find it helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For going from C to F, I also quite like C->B->G->F and the other way around

1 Like

This really frustrated me. The problem for me is the strumming pattern he uses is tricky for grade 3. A simpler explanation/pattern at the beginning would have saved me 45 minutes at least.

3 Likes

I think this the lesson to combine with.

2 Likes

Is there a lesson specifically on finding that string after strumming? I normally pick with my palm on the guitar for reference (without looking) to find a string, but when strumming my palm comes away/above; so, when I need to quickly find the 5th string to walk it up or down, I often miss. Is this just a case of practicing until your muscle memory just finds it or is there a technique or trick?
The closest lesson I found that might help me is the ā€œTarget Each String WHILE Strumming!ā€ video from Module 17. It doesnā€™t quite answer my question but it gets at the same idea: picking strings while/after strumming. The Rhythm Guitar Basics 5 video referenced is also helpful (and maybe a better reference than the one from Module 17), but it does not address strum, pick, strum, pick directly (unless I missed it). It seems like maybe it is simply a practice thing. I notice (in that other video) that Justin sets his fingers down on the guitar while picking. Maybe I need to try that instead of relying on feeling my wrist or palm against the bridge. Maybe my fingers could quickly get anchored on the pick guard areaā€¦

1 Like

I played G run C run G run Bm, Am and ended up with a sort of crappy version of Lean on Me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You Sir, just saved my life :wink:

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Justin mentions that we link major chords using major scales and minor chord using minor scales. What if I want to link a major chord with a minor?

Also, can someone explain what exactly is a chromatic scale?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like