How to Link Guitar Chords using Scales

I decided to sit down on a cold, dreary Sunday and lay out a chord progression that allows me to practice all the different changes Justin mentioned in the video. Here’s what it looks like:

G - C - F - C - A - E - A - D -
Am - Dm - Em - Am - D - E - A - D -
Am - Em - Dm - Am - D - A - D - A -
C - Am - C - G - E - D - A - E -

The progression “modulates” between the keys of C and A after every 4 chords.
There are actually 3 more chord changes in this than specifically mentioned in the video, but like Justin said, “explore!”

I’m starting off by strumming 2 bars (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ) of each chord and experimenting with different ideas for the 2-note links to replace the last “4 +”.

It won’t win any Grammys, but it gives me one exercise to practice a bunch of links and to explore which link ideas sound good to me.

Maybe others will find it helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For going from C to F, I also quite like C->B->G->F and the other way around

This really frustrated me. The problem for me is the strumming pattern he uses is tricky for grade 3. A simpler explanation/pattern at the beginning would have saved me 45 minutes at least.

I think this the lesson to combine with.

Is there a lesson specifically on finding that string after strumming? I normally pick with my palm on the guitar for reference (without looking) to find a string, but when strumming my palm comes away/above; so, when I need to quickly find the 5th string to walk it up or down, I often miss. Is this just a case of practicing until your muscle memory just finds it or is there a technique or trick?
The closest lesson I found that might help me is the “Target Each String WHILE Strumming!” video from Module 17. It doesn’t quite answer my question but it gets at the same idea: picking strings while/after strumming. The Rhythm Guitar Basics 5 video referenced is also helpful (and maybe a better reference than the one from Module 17), but it does not address strum, pick, strum, pick directly (unless I missed it). It seems like maybe it is simply a practice thing. I notice (in that other video) that Justin sets his fingers down on the guitar while picking. Maybe I need to try that instead of relying on feeling my wrist or palm against the bridge. Maybe my fingers could quickly get anchored on the pick guard area…

I played G run C run G run Bm, Am and ended up with a sort of crappy version of Lean on Me :slight_smile:

1 Like