How to Play Easy Chord Shapes Up The Neck Lesson on JustinGuitar

This is a great lesson. I had seen parts of this shown in guitar magazines in the past, but this is so complete for all the CAGED shapes. I’ll need to rewatch this several times with guitar in hand. My first exposure to this was learning a simplified version of Emerson Lake and Palmer’s From the Beginning. I was lucky to find a live version with Greg Lake: YouTube - Greg Lake live - From the Beginning

1 Like

Loved this lesson. Made a rough cheat sheet showing the different chords that can be made by each shape. Not exact, but a rough guide I can reference when looking for alternatives.

C Shape

Root on A string

• Fret 5 = D (Dadd4add9), little finger optional
  • Fret 6 = Cm/Eb, little finger mandatory
  • Fret 8 = F (Fmaj7), normal F with little finger down
  • Fret 10 = G (G6), little finger optional
  • Fret 12 = A (A7), little finger optional

A Shape

Root is A string, but shape is on following frets, * = preferred

• Fret 4 = B
  • *Fret 5 = Am (Am7)
  • *Fret 7 = D (D/A)
  • *Fret 9 = E (E/A)
  • Fret 10 = F/A

E Shape

Root is low E string, but don’t play the low E, first finger from shape is in following frets,

• Fret 6 = A
  • Fret 8 = B
  • Fret 9 = C (Cmaj7)
  • Fret 11 = D

D Shape

Root is D string, but shape starts from first fingers in following frets,

• Fret 4 = E/D
  • Fret 5 = Dm7
  • Fret 7 = G/D
  • Fret 9 = A/D
  • Fret 10 = Bb

Am Shape

Root is A string, shape starts from first finger in shape on following frets, don’t have to play root note

• Fret 3 = Bm
  • Fret 6 = Dm
  • Fret 8 = A9
  • Fret 10 = A6

Dm Shape

Shape starts on first finger in shape, on following frets,

• Fret 3 = Em/D
  • Fret 5 = Dmaj7
  • Fret 6 = Gm/D
  • Fret 10 = D6

Em Shape

Doesn’t sound good on its own when moving around, BUT you can use first finger on G string down a fret (replace the nut). Shape starts from first finger.

• Fret 2 = F#m or Fm11 (example chord grip, X, 4, 4, 2, O, O), mute low E
  • Fret 4 = G#m
  • Fret 5 = Am
  • Fret 7 = Bm
  • Fret 9 = Cm
17 Likes

Oh wow I just started struggling with this very thing and here it is. A very good start for me (and anyone). Thanks so much. Great lesson Justin, it makes me sound as if I am into jazz and know what I am doing.

1 Like

Hey Justin, Yet again, another awesome lesson and one where I’ve learned a lot from. And I’m a guitar teacher myself. As well as a songwriter. I’m just here to refresh on some basics and discover new things. I wanted to ask about that Gomez tune you mentioned that uses a moving G7 shape. I’m very curious to know and hear that song. Can you or anyone else tell me what the song is? Thanks and keep the great lessons coming! :slight_smile:

1 Like

sorry if already covered but is there an easy way to work out/or a diagram/print out of what each chord is when moved along the neck?

eg whats a G chord when moved to 5th fret, whats a C when moved to 7th fret

1 Like

@laidbackjack77 was kind enough to write out the chords by name 3 posts up.

3 Likes

Good callout on the previous post, as I missed that. Must xref against my spreadsheet entries. :+1:

1 Like

Most of the time it’s not very helpful to try and name these types of chords. It’s better just to use them in the context of “If it sounds good it is good.”
Take the E chord for instance. It you move it up so it’s an Barre A chord without the barre it can fall under numerous names like E6sus4, C#m7#5/E, B9sus4/E and about 6 others.

3 Likes

Wow! I’ve been messing around on the guitar for years, but this lesson literally just changed my guitar playing life! So much to take in, but in going through all of the lessons in grades 1 and 2 up to this point in grade 3, I’ve not been impacted by anything this much. It literally brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

We live and learn. Cool in it !

Welcome to the Community John, feel free to dive right in.
You can make an intro here if you’d like. Optional but good to get to know about new members.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Very cool lesson, but i can’t remember all the name of the chords that we find. Any tips?

1 Like

I’m currently working on those movable chord shapes. I wrote them out on tab paper with the names, separately for each chord shape. I think, at least a few of them sink in, when acitvely applied in songs.

2 Likes

You really don’t need to - especially if they have long chord extension names.
Simple categorisation by root note major / minor works just fine.
If you want to enhance your ability to name them at speed by knowing the notes on the neck, the scale degrees involved etc. then try the practical theory course to set you up for that.

This is awesome. Thank you

Great tips Justin. I never knew you could move the base chords around and get such great tones ! For a fairly new beginner its great fun to experiment with different sounds.Thank you sooo much for all the time you take. keeps me motivated. Much appreciated :+1::guitar:!

1 Like

Hey Justin, im subscribed on your mobile app and you always talk about how to get more stuff on the website on the particular lesson, like in this case, explored / mentioned chords with their proper names and such… but there is nothing in here/on web that you didnt really mention in the video itself :frowning:

I found that you can make a beautifull D chord using the ‘big’ G with the base note on the 10th fret

Great post, thanks!!!

Great videos
The guitar you are playing here. What is it? I have been looking for a guitar with a wider neck. The one you are playing seems wider?

Hi Uffe @Lyngdal , welcome to the community!
I’m pretty sure Justin is playing his Froggy Bottom in this video. I don’t know the model or the specs, but I think he mentioned that the neck is a bit wider than typical.