How to Use MatchMySound

The MatchMySound app is seamlessly integrated into JustinGuitar.com, so all you need to do is to look for the Play button beneath the video lessons that include it. The first three lessons are already available for free to all signed-up students:

Here’s how to get started.

• Tune Your Guitar: Use the built-in tuner to get your guitar pitch-perfect.

• Play-Along: Practice with the music—you’re ready to dive in!

• Rewind: Need to start over? Click Rewind to return to the beginning.

• Loop & Slow Down: Focus on tricky sections by looping and slowing down the tempo.

• View Options: Choose Scroll View or Page View, whichever you prefer.

• Playback Options:

• Demo Audio: Practice with the full track.
    • Backing Track: Play along with the backing track, if available.
    • Click Track: Keep time with the metronome.
  • Record Your Performance: Capture your playing with Demo Audio, Backing Track, or Click Track. You can even record videos!

• Show/Hide Cursor: Adjust your settings to show or hide the cursor.

• Use Headphones: Record directly into your device for the best sound quality.

• Get Feedback: Receive a score and detailed guided feedback to help you improve faster.

• Track Your Progress: Keep an eye on your growth as you continue your learning journey.

:point_right: Enjoy the new feature and lessons, and watch your Solo Blues skills soar!

3 Likes

Just wanted to add one thing that might already be obvious: if you have an electric guitar and an audio interface (or equivalently an amp with a USB port), set your system “mic” to that interface and you can play your guitar direct into the app. That should give the cleanest signal, and oblivate the need for headphones.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

This tool is an absolute blast and a great piece of tech to play along with.

1 Like

Oh this going to be a great asset!! I’ve been using this feature on Fender music, BUT, it’s limited to certain songs. I really hope that Justin Guitar will be able to provide to this feature on a lot of songs! It really is a great way to determine how well your picking, chord changes, fretting and rhythm really are doing!

1 Like

Seems very interesting. Is there a way to set the volume level within the MatchMySound player (similar to what you can do in the YouTube videos?). I’m playing electric guitar via a plug-in (via an audio interface). I have maxed the plug-in’s Output as much as I can without clipping, but the volume coming out of the MatchMySound player is still very loud by comparison. The only way I can use it is to turn the volume on the interface way down, which means I don’t really have much of a guitar sound.

Hopefully I’m just missing an obvious volume control in MatchMySound?

1 Like

I have a similar setup (amp plug-in) like you Martin and what I found out is that :

A) the volume of the guitar is controlled by the button on the audio interface
B) the volume of the backing track is controlled by the volume of the operations system like Windows or Mac Os.

So, if you increase the button on the audio interface and decrease the volume on Windows, it give the result that you are looking for.

1 Like

@math07 Thanks Mathieu for the reply. I’ve had a look at my system settings (in ‘Audio’; MacOS). When the audio output is routed to my audio interface (which it needs to be as far as I know) then the ability to change the system volume control is greyed out (i.e. I can’t control it). If the audio output is routed to my MacBook speakers, the system volume control is available again.

I suppose I could try routing all of the audio (including guitar plug-in) to my MacBook speakers, though I’d lose the benefit of headphones/monitors connected to my audio interface.

If you have a moment, I’d be really grateful if you could let me know how you have your system set up?
Thanks again,
Martin

1 Like

From a little googling, it looks like this issue may not be solvable on MacOS (unless I try re-routing audio to my Macbook speakers only, which isn’t much of a fix):

Ideally MatchMySound would include a volume control, similar to YouTube, SoundSlice etc. I will see if there’s somewhere I can send them that feature request. Until then, I probably won’t get much use out of MatchMySound, which is a shame.

1 Like

I think that ou setup is similar. My headphone and speakers are plugged into the audio interface. I think that the main difference is that I use Windows ; so it must not work the same as a Mac.

2 Likes

I have used an iRig interface and it has worked great! Whats cool is you can play with a distorted sound, delay etc and the system only hears the clean signal so it does not interfere and affect your
score.

1 Like

Thanks. It does look like it’s a Windows vs MacOS difference that is giving us the different outcomes.

Really appreciate your time and thoughts on this.

1 Like

this might be good, but one more of those services starting and giving you some free trial without telling you the price sfter the trial.
I really was trying to find it, and want to know it before I engage with anything. And when you look under terms and conditions: you’ll find nothing at all!

Dominique - Justin is giving away free content here. There is no free trial now, pay later.

The lessons he is renewing were previously available only at a cost - originally sold in DVD format. He is re-filming and improving those old video lessons, making them free-for-all and incorporating a new feature in addition. For free.
:slight_smile:
I hope that allays your suspicions.

2 Likes

Richard,

Dominique may be referring to this in Justin’s newsletter:

“The first arrangements on this course are free to all JustinGuitar.com students! However, this might become part of a paid product, so enjoy them a lot! :slight_smile: We also count on your feedback—always invaluable to keep improving your learning experience.”

Hi Richard,

no, I don’t mean Justin’s content, but the matchmysound app needed.
I went to their site to get more information and there’s the statement of a 3 month trial.
So I wondered.
But I watched the site on my tablet, - here, on my computer, their website is better displayed, terms and conditions work, and also they state their pricing in the FAQ.
So, do you say, that the app could be used for free with Justin’s content, also after 3 months?

Best regards,
Dominique

I confess that I skimmed the newsletter and missed that part.

Ah - okay. I understand.

you do not need to visit or download or subscribe to MatchMySound directly.

It is embedded into the JustinGuitar website - free for everybody to use in the specific lessons where this feature has been introduced. In post 1 above, Laryne wrote (with links to the lessons):

all you need to do is to look for the Play button beneath the video lessons that include it. The first three lessons are already available for free to all signed-up students: Boom Bass With Licks; Steady Thumb; Primer; Steady Thumb Blues

Hi Richard, thank you!

I’ll definitely try it.
On one hand, I would rather advocate to really pay attention to your own sound and to record yourself and have ear training as opposed to have an app taking away this -important- task, but on the other side, sometimes, technology can make learning quicker, or easier or more fun.

Cheers,
Dominique

PS. Sorry for not reading the top most post well enough! And then not finding the play button at first! I was blind because I ignored that section with “discussion, notes, resources”, etc., because it was always there and these items feel more like “tabs” than “buttons” to me, so I didn’t recognize that “Play” addition, but I think it makes a lot of sense to put it there!

1 Like

What lesson formerly teaches your fingering technique…I took all your beginning lessons…that was only covered briefly if I remember correctly….Can I use regular picking for this? Thank you

Very impressed with this resource, love that it gives you such specific feedback. Fantastic. Thank you :heart::heart::heart: