I made a travel guitar

I’ve got a 7 week trip to the UK and Ireland coming up in August-September. Seven weeks of no practice would not be good, so I looked at buying a travel guitar. I decided the only one that would suit me was the Traveler Ultra-light. But I couldn’t justify the price tag for something that would only get occasional use. So I decided to build something similar.

Having built an acoustic guitar before, I knew I didn’t want to make the neck. Too much work. So I bought a used SX strat copy for AUD95 on Facebook Marketplace. I removed the neck and all the hardware and built a body from plywood. The only critical dimension is the distance from the nut to the bridge saddles. I moved two of the tuners to shorten the neck. I made and installed brass inserts into the neck to allow it to be repeatedly broken down and reassembled (we will be taking seven flights during the trip).

It’s setup with the same strings and action as my Fender strat. It’s neck-heavy, so the strap is a must, even when seated. The mahogany legrest is designed so the guitar sits in exactly the same place as my Fender strat.

The black guitar is the donor SX. The new one is “Hotlips Red” :grinning:

19 Likes

Very cool!
Love how you minimized a full scale guitar!

1 Like

That’s awesome. It seems to be a similar concept to my Travelcaster.

But a lot cheaper and more personal.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

cant you just rent an acoustic when u arrive?

Then it wouldn’t have the same strings and action as his Strat.

1 Like

That looks pretty cool, quite unique. Also, didn’t realise you were an Aussie.

1 Like

Have to say you’ve really improved the look of a strat! Nice work!

1 Like

haha,and this mini will? besides its only for 2 months. much easier than building a guitar, toting it around, then hoping the airlines doesn’t crush it. and no amp.

The OP said, and I quote, “It’s setup with the same strings and action as my Fender strat.”

1 Like

Great job, Chris, thanks for sharing, both the story and the pictures. Looks really professional.

1 Like

That is very neat. Nice job Chris.

1 Like

That’s cool! Hope it serves you well and you have a lot of fun whilst travelling. Can we have a soundcheck? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m afraid so. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wouldn’t subject you to that! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

That makes me even more curious! :notes:

To clarify, there’s nothing wrong with the guitar Andrea. It sounds sweet.
However, the rabbit hole I’m currently stuck in is blues improv in the style of B.B. King. That means lots of string bending. The 9-guage strings I had on my strat were shredding my fingertips, so I fitted 8’s to both guitars.
I can’t believe how much softer the 8’s are. I can manage 1 ½ tone bends easily. But I’ve got a bit of work to do before I’m ready to post a recording of me playing.

Maybe one day. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Good grief. Here’s me struggling with barre chords and you’re making guitars. Very impressive. Have a wonderful trip Chris

2 Likes

Surely that day can come soon… even if not a BB King blues improv. You’ve been here a while :wink:

1 Like

Take your time, no need to hurry, was just curious how it may sound…and I like the colour. Have a lot of fun with it and have a nice trip! :airplane:

1 Like

Funky project and looks like a fine result there Chris! Where are you headed to in the UK?

1 Like

Thanks Mark. A clockwise loop around Scotland including the Orkneys, Cheshire, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and London. Should be a blast.

1 Like