I Try - Macy Gray (Acoustic cover - AVOYP #2)

When I posted my first AVOYP, I thought I would be posting more, sooner. I decided that each new song should include at least one challenge to overcome - either a new chord to learn or a new or improved technique. I underestimated how long it would take to get the songs I’ve been working on up to a standard where I could record a take that I like enough to post.
Getting a bit impatient, this take is not 100% how I would like it, but good enough to share.

Feedback on the playing is welcome.

I Try - Macy Gray

Acoustic cover, played in the original key of D major (modulating a semi-tone up in the outro) and at the original 76 BPM. I’m playing with a basic metronome drum beat in my left ear. I found it easier keeping time with a drum beat than with just a metronome click.
Recorded on my phone.

Challenges :crossed_swords:

Chords and melody :musical_note:

• C7 - I thought I knew this chord well from way back, but it turned out that my pinky had completely forgotten how to place itself. It took a lot of work to get this working again.
  • Fmaj7 - not so difficult, but unfamiliar, so it took a bit of getting used to.
  • All the bar chords (Bm7, F#m7, A, A#, D#, A#sus4, Fm7, G#) - always tricky to make them sound good.
  • The “piano lines” before the pre-chorus. - This was the “step up” for this version. I used to only ever strum chords, not play melody lines. I still struggle to play them in time. For some daft reason I decided to play the second line harmonized (double stops?), which made it even more difficult.
  • The bridge - I struggle to get the bridge to sound like I want. One soft down strum, then picking two single notes on the two top strings. The single notes are always either out of time or I completely miss one of the strings. This take does not have the single notes picked. Still room for improvement here.

Techniques :hammer_and_wrench:

• Strumming and palm muting in the verses.

Time, Rhythm, and Dynamics :drum:

• Keeping time in general, especially in the verses, bridge and the outro.
  • Finding a way to play the verses that was not just regular strumming.
21 Likes

Jacob

Super version: I’d never imagine this song as voice and guitar only; your performance makes it work. You could probably slow it down a little - it may help with any melody lines or step changes. Also surprised by the quality of sound from what looks like a nylon strung guitar. Do you play or have you tried steel strung acoustics? Really enjoyable!

Brian

3 Likes

You’re back! I remember your “ Jolene” performance. I really loved both! You are definitely on the right track in your learning process. I can’t wait for your next one!!

3 Likes

Hi Jacob,
And another great performance… you can sing so well. Pffff :sunglasses: :clap: :clap: :clap: :man_bowing:

Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Well played Jacob, super cover … :clap: :clap: :clap: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Very nice Jacob!

2 Likes

Hi Jacob
That was great! :clap: :clap: I really enjoyed it :smiley:
I would not have thought that you were having those challenges with it if you hadn’t listed them, it sounded very smooth and well played, and your voice is beautiful
It takes me a loooong time to get a song ‘polished’ to a level that I’m happy with also :sunflower:
The recording was really good with just using your phone too

2 Likes

That was very well done, Jacob! :smiley: :clap:

I like your approach to new songs having a kind of challenge in it - it brings together the fun part (song learning) and the practice part. Cool idea! :slight_smile:

Your rendition was really good, I love that tune! You took it and made it yours in a very good way. :slight_smile: A truly enjoyable listen!

3 Likes

Nicely done Jacob! :clap:

I haven’t heard this song in a while and all the words came flooding right back in my head as soon as you started playing. Well played and sung. You’ve got a great voice!

3 Likes

That was terrific Jacob. Super dynamic in your strumming with palm mutes and percussive hits. As for the vocal, you’re a lucky boy to have such a great voice. Well done.

3 Likes

Ooh, this was fantastic! I, too, posted an AVoYP I wasn’t 100% with because I just wanted something to show for my hard work lol, and I’ve also decided I’m only gonna post stuff that shows new skill have been worked on, I totally get it.

I really loved the dynamic strumming, and I’m definitely putting this on my dreamer song list because it’s such a great song. Fantastic singing, would love to have heard the guitar a little clearer even though your voice an hold its own, but I think that’s an equipment issue, like needing a separate mic or something. Off to find your cover of Jolene that Rogier mentioned, also on my dreamer song list too!

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds great, Jacob. Your approach is serving you well, keep on with it.

1 Like

Bravo bravo bravo.
That was a real treat. Well played and sung.

One suggestion if you’re going down the route of minor 7 chords and playing them as full 6-string barres.

Instead of this chord form / fingering …

Try this …

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That was awesome Jacob!
Yes, it takes a lot of effort to get a song to performance level, but it is so worth it in the end! I can hear the thought, attention and practise time you have put into your arrangement, well done!

I watched your video twice - first ‘cold’ and then a second time after reading your list of challenges. I only really picked up on some of the things in your list after having read your comments, e.g. the piano line and picking notes in the bridge. These are challenges you have with yourself (and it’s great to have them as they will improve your playing) - from a listener point of view I can only hear what you play assuming that is what you wanted to play. And I hear very interesting and varied guitar playing (including pauses) that serves the song, great dynamic changes between verses, chorus and bridge, development in the song (first verse sounds different than last). Really good groove by accentuating back beats and using percussive elements!

The only thing I have missed was a repeat of the accentuated strum+slide+pause at the end of the first verse (after stop - 15 seconds in). I was expecting a repeat or a similar statement move in the next verses, but it never came, so they felt a bit flatter for me. But this is just a thought, it takes nothing away from your 5-star performance.

2 Likes

That was excellent Jacob. Your strumming has great dynamics and you have great pitch control with your vocals. :clap::clap:

1 Like

I think you did well with the bridge. I also think you came out of the bridge really well with your changing of the dynamics. Its was done gradually with a good build up until that finale explosion.

Fantastic. Thus was your first post that I have seen. I really like how you are challenging your self and I like your formatting. I believe that this is something I would like to emulate.

Thanks for a cool post.

1 Like

I love this. I’m definitely going to give this a go.
Thanks for posting this, very inspirational!

1 Like

Thanks for listening and all the kind responses. I appreciate it a lot.

Yeah, the lines would probably have been a bit better at a slower tempo. I usually don’t mind slowing down songs, but this is already rather slow, and I was a afraid it would become too slow.

I have tried playing some, but I don’t own a steel string. I plan to get one later in the year, though.

You are right, it’s tricky to get a great balance with just one microphone that can’t be moved independently of the camera. I’ll try to position it a little differently to pick up more of the guitar next time.

@Richard_close2u
Thank you for that suggestion. I do know that fingering as well, but didn’t think about for this song to begin with. I actually tried it out in this song earlier the same day as I recorded this, but decided not to make the change now, as it would only mean more practice time before being ready to record. :sweat_smile:

At first I was confused about what you meant with “strum+slide+pause”. :thinking: Then I watched the video again and noticed it - I did that “strum+slide+pause” without being conscience about it. :smiley: I’ll try to remember it and incorporate it in the next verse, too.

Thank you! It pleases me immensely that anyone would find some inspiration in anything in my approach. I’m in this community for how it inspires me - both from watching and listening to other people playing and from wanting to improve and learn a song well enough to perform it here. I’m very happy if I can give some inspiration back.

4 Likes

@pkboo3, @roger_holland, @Elixir1253, @Inge_guitar29, @Avalon426, @Jenndye429, @sairfingers, @DavidP, @TheCluelessLuthier

Thank you, all of you, for listening and for the lovely comments! It makes my day and motivates me to keep practicing.

5 Likes

I am way behind your level, but I love your detailed post and your song!

1 Like