I Want to record my Acoustic Guitar?

Iā€™ve been doing more playing(finally)but still consider myself a beginner, even though Iā€™m now retired ,with a bit more time.
I tried recording myself with my Iphone using voicerecorder app, but the results were less than stellar. I also recently received an Ipad, and tried using it with the installed Garageband, but for some reason I could only record for about 8 seconds. Also the metronome was annoying, and having to stop it everytime I wanted to record a new take was a pain to say the least.
My playing is sometime strumming and also fingerpick style, and fingerpicking seems to barely get picked up at all. Also I donā€™t have dedicated place for playing, except in the bedroom, and very little space.
Iā€™m thinking a better mic would help, maybe a clip on like the Shure MV88, or a USB Mic, but a Mic stand thats small would be good as well. Not looking to spend a lot at this point so a seperate setup with an audio interfaces and expensive mics. Just looking for a half decent recording.
As far as DAWā€™s Garageband which Iā€™ve mentioned, Waveform, Voice record Pro also sound promising. BTW Guitar is an older Taylor 410 with Dā€™addario Light gauge (.011-.052) Phospher Bronze strings.
Suggestions and or advice would be appreciated.

Bruce @Bsmooth
Have you had a look at this part of the web site under production.

Michael

The simplest way to start recording is to use the video recorder on your iPhone camera. You can move on to other technology, but that does give a decent sound quality, and without any additional effort it also provides video so form etc can be checked (yourself, or by others if you want constructive feedback - always a good thing). I still sometimes use my iPhone camera because itā€™s so easy.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link describing how I do things most of the time:

I bought a zoom brand (nothing to do with the video service) mic for recording. The quality of them is orders of magnitude better than iPhone and they arenā€™t too expensive.

I got the H5 which is overkill for what I need. Had it for many years and very happy with it.

Maybe I just need to find a Shure MV88 then. Not many new ones around though I think. I think I might try the Voice Record Pro app as well its free and the look of the old VU Meters has got the Kool old school look.

There is also the Zoom iQ7 for the iPhone.

Plus Iā€™m primarily interested at this point in just recording audio only. Its more for me than anyone else. I probably have terrible posture and form. At this point, Iā€™m 65 and just want to learn songs. I did see a post that said thats not what one should be doing and you should learn music theory and other things.
Well we all have different reasons for playing, plus as a great side effect its great way to relax and reduce stress.
Sorry to digress away from the subject, the best bang for the buck sounds like the Rode NT-USB, but Iā€™m not sure that may be a bit too much.
I did read this over at The Gear Page forums which may be useful to others as well, more pertaining to higher end micā€™s:
"1. I will assume that you are a hobbyist so that likely means you have an ā€œuntreatedā€ room. If so, steer clear of condenser mics. They are good for what they do: clarity, detail, crisp, but pickup everything! Like the lawn mower across the street, your fan in the other room, a barking dog that is going to relieve itself on your neighborā€™s lawn, as well as the myriad reflections that are inevitable in an untreated room. Donā€™t go with a condenser because they are better.

1. A good dynamic will capture an acoustic well; a better dynamic will capture better. But ultimately, practice with placement, distance, and your attack: all of which will have dramatic differences that can compliment an inexpensive mic, or obviate even the best mics.

2. Sure the SM57 seems like the ubiquitous choice, and a good one. But better IMO for a ā€œdo-all first micā€ is a Sennheiser e835: a workhorse with stellar reputation and equally versatile (as the 57). Better yet, get the Senn e935: twice the money but is a serious step up in clarity and utility. Either will serve you well, both for recording instruments as well as for vocals, and live as well for studio.

3. Full disclosure: I am a hobbyist, myself, and am still learning. I heeded the advice of others --especially the ā€œpracticeā€ part-- and am the better for it. edward "

I have a pair of e835s and I agree that an e835 is a good choice if youā€™re looking for a versatile dynamic mic.

I canā€™t say that I agree with that advice, though. Iā€™ve had good ā€œbedroomā€ results with condenser mics, especially for recording acoustic, and for recording a guitar and vocal performance at the same time. If I had to own only one mic, it would almost certainly be a condenser.

1 Like

So far for microphones I have the Apogee Mic Plus, Rode NT-USB and the Austrian Audio MiCreator Studio Microphone, which seems pretty new. I was hoping for something a bit less expensive.

Can you define, ā€œa bit less expensive?ā€

That Zoom mic I linked to is comparable to the Shure MV88 and itā€™s only $99.
Behringer makes a respectable copy of the SM57. . .

Yes the Behringer SL75C I think it is, for around $25. You would need other accesories though to connect it to an Ipad right? I did see one test of it and it seemed it needed to be very close to the guitar.

I Bruce, I recently got an IPad too and Iā€˜ve started to use Garage Band for some recordings too. Itā€˜s a pretty useful application and the results of audio recording are quite decent. It takes a bit of experimenting to get what you want, but after some fumbling and trying, itā€˜s a helpful tool and worth investing some time.
If you open a new song project the basic setting for recording is only 8 bars, so it will stop recording automatically after 8 bars. If you tip the + of the timeline (ruler) in the upper right corner, you get a menue, where you are able to set the time for recording, go to ā€žsection Aā€œ (I use a German version, so might be titled different) and set it to ā€žautomaticallyā€œ, so it will record the whole song.
To keep the metronome quiet, just tip at the metronome icon and it will stop ticking.
I find Garageband quite helpful as a basic recording concept as you are able to tweak settings like tone, compression, presence and reverb after recording, you are able to add or create drums or other instruments with a modular system, so maybe a door opener for more advanced setups in the future.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t know that Helen, many years of using PC related, so Apple products are a bit different and new to me. Mostly just laying quick tracks down, and listening where I can improve.
So many things to learn, but I do love music, always have.
So thanks Helen or should I say, Vielen Dank !

Also just read about the Shure Beta 56a and 57a, and they get great reviews. There also good as you can play a little further away as there a little more sensitive.
Anything else similar to these ?