If you tolerate this then your children will be next

@grayal @Socio @KevinKevan @batwoman @adi_mrok @RodC @ChasetheDream @Tim_Wilson @LBro @pkboo3 Thank you all for listening and your comments, they are much appreciated.

I use the method described in the book ā€œHow To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!ā€ by Dan Erlewine. Heā€™s a Stuart Mac guy and the book gives a good overview of the setup process and actually goes into quite a bit of detail on Tele intonation and the saddles in particular. Teles are some of the hardest guitars to intonate properly (some would say impossible) because they have two strings per saddle. Here is a link to a process on Premier Guitar. I havenā€™t read through all of it but it looks like they give a fair amount of detail.

[How to Intonate a Three-Saddle Tele - Premier Guitar](How to Intonate a Three-Saddle Tele - Premier Guitar)

I wouldnā€™t go nuts filing down your saddles and getting crazy with tools. Also if you feel like it is over your head it is best to just have someone do a setup on your guitar. I enjoy the physics of it so it is something I have found to be gratifying at least even if Iā€™m not a pro at it.

1 Like

You can Stefan. Have a look at Majikā€™s post on using OBS (OBS not OSB) to feed Zoom. It has some built-in effects but can also pickup and use other plugins installed on your computer.

1 Like

@ohmygato, Dan, thank you for the link. Iā€™ll have a look into trying to get a better setup. It did have a a basic setup over the Christmas period, so maybe it just needs tweaking.

@DavidP, David. Thank you, Iā€™ll have a read of that, not that I really know what Iā€™m doing and what tweaks I need to be doing to get a better sound.

So much to learn.

1 Like

My advice FWIW would be NOT to touch your guitar at allā€¦I would suggest its pretty tricky to determine intonation from a video alone, particularly when you are a relative newby yourself and therefore your playing might influence what we hear. A very simple rough check would be tune your guitar up as normal and then fret the each string at the twelve fret, play it and see what your tuner saysā€¦it should be pretty much the same. Even if it isnā€™t quite the same doesnā€™t mean there is an intonation problem.

If you really want it checked out take it to a luthier who knows what they are doing. At least you wont then bugger your guitar up. If you want to have a go at this sort of thing buy a cheap beat up guitar and do it on that.

3 Likes

Yeah this is totally true and it is easy to mess it up (probably not permanently, but where it may sound worse).

@SgtColon I had made the original comment only because to my ears some of the chords sounded very clean but a couple sounded slightly out of tune. Take it with a grain of salt. It could just be my ears. In my experience (I had the exact same issue with my Tele) it can be an intonation issue. It also could be an issue with pressing down too hard on some of the strings on certain chords. Orā€¦ it could just be an issue with my ears. It also will sound more apparent with a tone as clean as yours.

If all the chords sound good and in tune to you just straight through your amp and not recorded then itā€™s not an issue. Also as Rossco mentioned you can do the quick check tuning up as normal and then fret at the 12th checking to make sure those notes are also in tune.

Great job,

Keeping your strummign solid while singing for this song is harder than it looks and I think you did great. He does some unconventional intervals in the vocal melody that arenā€™t the easiest either. we want more!

2 Likes

@Rossco01, Jason, Thanks for that, Iā€™ll give that a go and see how I get on. I may at some point down the line buy an old guitar and have a go at that, just so I have a better understanding on the workings.

@ohmygato, Dan, Iā€™ll try what Rossco suggested first and see how I get on with that.

@LievenDV, Lieven, thanks for the listen. I need to get working on the next tune I have for my Tele.

Hey there! Such a nice cover, thanks for sharing this with us. I honestly wouldnā€™t believe that this is your ā€œfirst recording using the F chordā€. I mean, yeah, I can hear that the chord changes arenā€™t perfect every time, but itā€™s amazing how you manage to keep eye contact with the camera (or the screen/song sheet/whatever behind it) throughout the song!

While your playing is really good, I think it sounds a bit monotonous - you might want to spice it up a little bit by experimenting with the strumming dynamics. Even if you keep the strumming pattern the same, you could strum (and why not sing too) some parts a bit more gently and when you hit the chorus for example, you could let it all out. :slight_smile: I just watched an excellent video by Justin about this subject the other week, I think you should check it out too! Dynamic Improvements | JustinGuitar.com

1 Like

Very good Stefan, a few Wobblies on the dreaded F barrƩ but overall a great performance!

1 Like

@DarrellW Thanks Darrell.

@Tomiboo, Tomi, thanks for the link. I have watched the lesson before but Iā€™d forgotten all about it. Something to make sure I start doing when Iā€™m practicing a song, as in the heat of the performance Iā€™d forgotten all about the dynamics. Also, welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Stefan, that was really nice. The rhythm felt really good. I had some trouble hearing your vocals, but what I heard was good.

1 Like

@TheCluelessLuthier, Mark, thanks, Iā€™ve been having a play with the mic and settings/positioning this afternoon and I think Iā€™ve got it set up better now. Hopefully clearer on the vocals in future.

sounds good man. one small suggestion, ive found if i play e minor using pinky and ring it makes the switch to F easier since you just have to slide over a fret, and lay your finger down and add middle. give it a shot. did world of wonders for Em-F

2 Likes

@Topher39

Thanks for sharing that tip, Chris.

It is an important point to remember that over time, developing the flexibility to play chord shapes with a variety of different fingerings is invaluable, enabling you to make fingering choices that simplify playing chord progressions, as illustrated by that choice to play Em as part of progressions using E-shape barre chords.

Great job! Fast strumming, kept your rhythm the whole way, managed that nasty F, complicated lyrics and singing and a great song that Iā€™ve not heard before. As others have mentioned, needed to hear the vocals a little better but what weā€™re hear for is the guitar.

1 Like

@Topher39, Chris, thanks and what a great tip. Iā€™ll be readjusting my playing to incorporate that one.

Welcome to the community also. :slight_smile:

@Dave911, thanks for the listen Dave. Hopefully Iā€™ve sorted to low volume on the vocals.

i actually found this ā€œtrickā€ when i was working on my pinker finger dexterity, what i was doing was just trying to play E and A shapes with my pinky, ring, and middle to try and get the pinky moving. than i threw down an f, and said ā€œhmm that was easyā€

Well done, Stefan. You kept a good strumming rhythm going and delivered a nice vocal. I donā€™t really have anything to add to the other comments/feedback. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like