I'm a Believer -- my first video upload

Hey everyone,

It’s far from perfect but I’m looking for help with my playing. This is a pretty easy tune and I love playing it. Please excuse the couple of errors within.

I’m a Believer cover

12 Likes

Sounding good, good timing, crisp chord changes.

That fast strumming hand makes for good timing, so make sure you work on muting the loose strings with the fretting hand.

All comes with time and practice :+1:

1 Like

That’s a great debut recording for avoyp @bobuva
Your fun was obvious and infectious.
What a fantastic party favourite to have in your repertoire. Play that and people will sing and join in.
You have some areas to improve which you must have seen. The transitions came off the rails a little. Secure your D7 chord grip to gain confidence through that section. Something else I noticed was that your internal drummer lost his rhythm too. Watch your leg keeping a steady beat through most of the song. Then at the stop, when the chords die down, you lose track of time and, crucially, where the beat is. Try playing that section multiple times without singing but counting the 1, 2, 3, 4 out loud.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers.
Richard

2 Likes

Hi Bob that was a great first recording, well done I could tell you had so much fun while being in the groove! Really like the song and I think you did well, some bits and pieces to work on which Richard above said well, I would add that it’s worth slowing it down while you practice to solidify the chord changes and rhythm, after a while it will also click on a full speed :slight_smile: all the best and keep on rockin!

1 Like

Hey Bob,
I honestly enjoyed that alot. Good stuff.
Why? Because you were showing your enjoyment of it and getting right into it, , and that was making me enjoy it. Your rhythm was also pretty good, your chords were mostly clean, and your voice was fine.
Not sure where you’re up to in Justin course. That might give some ideas for things to develop.

Cheers,
Shane

1 Like

Thanks @liaty . Yeah, I need to work on those loose strings muting. Good catch!

Thanks @Richard_close2u ! Having you point out what I should look at in the video is really helpful! And that’s cool that my joy playing that song came through. When I looked at the video, I just saw my turned-down mouth, or what looks like it is. But yeah, I really do enjoy playing that song.

1 Like

Thanks @sclay ! You’re the second person to comment on enjoyment of playing that song. Awesome! I’m in Grade 3 and have done some Grade 4 as well. I am continuing to develop songs but also do a lot of exercises (finger gym, chord changes, others) randomly.

Thanks @adi_mrok ! I will slow down a bit, at times, to get things better. Good suggestion!

Nice work Bob, you got right into the groove and the mood.

1 Like

Thanks @batwoman ! It was fun.

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Loved the energy and enthusiasm, Bob, lots of pointers to help ongoing improvement.

I don’t recall if you’ve shared recordings before, if a first, extra high fives, to celebrate.

Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

Hi Bob!
That was a fine first AVOYP!!
It was easy to see that you enjoyed playing it, and that made me «believe» and enjoy what you were playing.
I am not a good strummer so i should be a bit careful give you advice, but it looks like you can be a little «looser» in your strumming hand. Looked like you were a bit «tense» and as mentioned about timing here and there…
But overall a fine performance!
Keep up the good work Bob and keep em comin :metal:

1 Like

What stood out to me was your obvious feeling for the song. That is so infectious. Great strumming. Enjoyed tat!

1 Like

Great first AVoYP Bob, certainly looks like you are enjoying yourself and it is a great singalong song to play for others. As has had been said I noticed the timing with your leg seemed to be a bit off at times, something to work on.

1 Like

Congrats on your first AVoYP! Many good comments and advice above (which is the best reward for recording and putting it on here).
My biggest take away was you obviously are having fun playing - and that is the whole point of it all. Keep it up! The slightly downturned mouth of concentration will soon be the huge smile of a performer enjoying what he does :grinning:

1 Like

Excellent first AVOYP :clap: That was so much fun and you left me wanting to hear more. Lots of great feedback and advice above. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP! This was my first shared recording.

1 Like

Thanks @tRONd ! I appreciate the strumming suggestion, and had forgot how Justin stresses having a loose arm. Going to focus more on that. Thanks, and I actually can’t wait until I get another recording up!

1 Like

Thanks @Willsie01 ! I am so floored by how everyone has been commenting on my enthusiasm. So appreciate it!