I'm nailing the D Shape Eb Chord šŸ˜

Yeeeesss! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: The D Shape Eb Chord has always been impossible for meā€¦well itā€™s quite a strech, especially on the Classical Guitar where the frets are wider! Now Iā€™m encountering just one Eb at the end of a song Iā€™m learning and I was already thinking how to simplify and replace it when I just tried and there it was, my Eb, with just a little bit of effort. To tell it all I need to say that thereā€™s a D7 before it and that helps hugely because both middle and ring finger provide a double reinforced anchoringā€¦anyway :upside_down_face: ā€¦I didnā€™t expect it :grin::sweat_smile::hugs:

15 Likes

Well done! Iā€™ve never managed to play it cleanly, so I either leave off the 4th string and just play the D shaped triad, or give up entirely and play it as a barre chord at the 6th fret

1 Like

Congrats Silvia :grin::clap: :tada:

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

The song is fingerstyle so it needs to be cleanā€¦and I actually can make the chord changes clean while practicingā€¦what I really need now is more practice and more than that no panic when the Eb occurs in the songā€¦easier said than done :joy:

1 Like

Thank you!!! :blush:

1 Like

That is a hard reach, but a lovely flat chord. Just need a lesson on how to grow longer fingers.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid no lesson is available :joy: But with a 5 minutes of finger gym everyday and just keep going it seems like itā€™s very likely you can make your fingers work as they were longer :muscle::muscle: ā€¦at least itā€™s what happened to meā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m developing arm muscles I never new I had, but Iā€™m not going to challenge you to arm wrestle!

1 Like

Thereā€™s no earthly reason to endure the torture of E flat ever.

:wink:
Just kidding.
It sucks but it does occur here and there.

1 Like

D movable shape is very difficult, but it is possible for me after placing the fingers one by one for 30 seconds. :rofl: I can play all 4 strings. C movable (bar with index + 2 3 4 fingers making C) is impossible for me. My pinkie simply isnā€™t long enough to make an arch and will mute the string(s) below.

1 Like

@SILVIA
Hi Silvia. What is the fingering for the E flat chord youā€™re talking about?

1 Like

Congrats Silvia, vert tough stretch on classical guitar!
Like Boris I can get it to ring out ok when setting the fingers in place to get each noteā€¦ but while playing a song this stretch for Eb is too wide for me. The other Dshape moveable chords become a bit more doable for me moving down the guitar when the frets start to become thinner :rofl:

I think she is referring to middle finger G string 3rd fret, ring finger e string 3rd fret, pinky B string 4th fretā€¦ all while using index finger to hold down D string 1st fret.

1 Like

Oh noā€¦it wasnā€™t meant like a challenge :joy: in my language I would say ā€œForza!ā€ , literally ā€œStrenght!ā€ as a way to say ā€œletā€™s take courage and be brave and tryā€ or something like thatā€¦we associate this meaning to the arm with mussels :blush:

Youā€™re absolutely right! In fact I never practiced it and tried alternatives like transposing the chords or use a capo or simply remove the Eb. ā€¦ because it was too difficult!

In this case the Eb (we call it MI bemolle) in italian) is only oneā€¦ you know I WILL by The Beatles? I transposed it to G and at the end when it goes like ā€œoh you know Iā€¦wiiiiiillā€ itā€™s D7 to Eb and then to G on the final ā€œI wiiilll!ā€
Removing the Eb and go straight to G might be the easier solution, as it sounds fine, and I might do that if I see itā€™s too difficult to play it in the songā€¦ @Dro_1 ā€¦but I thought since the chord changes are coming out nicely and smooth and sound clean I will practice a bit more and see if I can transition without panic when itā€™s the moment (the panic being a very likely variable :joy:)

C shape bar chords are impossible for me too! And since there are other smarter alternatives I donā€™t think lā€™ll ever try! Better move the Cchord the way it is but simply adding pinky down on the third fret of the high e stringā€¦try to move that shape, if you havenā€™t yetā€¦

@sairfingers thatā€™s as Sandro wrote, it has the shape of a D up a fret and you add the Eb bass note as root on the 4th string (first fret) using index.

Oh lovely.
And wow, that brings back a distant memory.

I didnā€™t
Fingerpick.
Iā€™m wondering if you could play a C-shape D7 followed by moving it up one fret from Eb7.
I donā€™t have guitar next to me to hear if the Eb7 sounds okay in that context.
It would be an essy chord move.

6 Likes

What a lovely rendition! :heart_eyes: And a very beautiful voice!
Iā€™ll experiment to move the C shape ( I assume youā€™re not meaning the barre C shape :sweat_smile:) I should be able to fingerpick only the notes that are in the chord and leave the other ones that arenā€™t. Thanks for the suggestion, Iā€™ll @ you if I come up with anything decent.

ā€¦ I had to tryā€¦ I can form the chord and three tries out of four I got all strings ringing out fine. But thatā€™s on my Godinā€¦ and painless it was notā€¦

But on classical guitar? Changing to and from this chord must be tortureā€¦ Wow, what an accomplishment Silvia :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Yes.
C chord with barre playing at frets 3 and 5 is an A-shape barre chord.
Imagine c7.
Move up 2 frets for D7 up one more foe Eb7.

:slight_smile:

1 Like