Improvising over a loop and experimenting with a whammy bar

I got inspired after watching RHCP with John Frusciante live recently and loved how John used the whammy bar and the chorus effect. I tried to incorporate these into this improvisation.

I used Boss RC-10R to create a loop with drums and added a bassline using an octave pedal.

I was never interested in a whammy bar and never bothered installing it. After giving it a try, I admit it’s fun. :smiley:

Also, Boss RC-10R pushed me a lot toward creating loops and improvising recently. I enjoy it and feel I’m making progress. But I wonder if it sounds any good to others. I’d really appreciate it if you gave me your honest opinion if it sounds any good, and what areas I should work on.

19 Likes

This is a clear YES!! :smiley: Very well done, Kamil. I enjoyed listening to you a lot and felt the joy you had while doing it. That’s awesome! :slight_smile: Keep it flowing is all I can advice here. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Lisa_S . That’s very encouraging. :slight_smile: :guitar:

1 Like

Sounds good indeed, you’ve got some great ideas popping out and seemed to be weel in the groove.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u Thank you. I’m glad you liked it. That really helps me understand I’m getting somewhere. :slight_smile: I’m hoping to complete PMT Grade 6 this year and more intermediate lessons. But first I want to finish repeating some older PMT lessons and going through a new beginner course. Lots of new stuff in there compared to the old beginner course.

You’re certainly getting your money’s worth out of that boss RC-10R. That sounded fantastic mate. It’s great to watch it fuel your creativity. You are definitely making super progress.

1 Like

I enjoyed listening to it! Keep it up

1 Like

K-
That was excellent!!! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Nicely played Kamil, so nice phrases going on there and the subtle use of whammy was very thoughtful. Very easy to over do it but that cleverly applied.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

:100: agree with everyone’s comments so far Kamil, that was great! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Fabulous, Kamil. Really enjoyed that, the tone, your lines and phrases, use of the whammy bar.

I personally like to see what people are doing, either to learn or be inspired, so would generally prefer a clean video for AVOYP. Though the effect you used was cool and suited the jam.

Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

Well done :+1:!!!

1 Like

You’ve got some chops my Brotha! You just picked up a subscriber.

What’s your guitar backstory? Inquiring minds want to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome inspiration and awesome impro Kamil, sounded really good! Especially enjoyed when you started to strum around 00:59 - that was such a Frusciante vibe! Now some more feedback action and you can go for their support guitarist on next tour :grinning:

1 Like

Sounded really good dude. Was interesting, good repeated lines, great tone etc.

As to what areas you should work on - you’re well beyond my play grade but one thought I have with soloing is the hardest part seems to be the entry and exit. Shifting from rhythm into solo, telling the story, and then finishing off the solo and getting on with the rest of song. When I listen to solos I like, they all seem to do that well. So perhaps that’s something to work on.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot of feedback. :smiley: Thank you. :smiley:

@Socio Thank you. :slight_smile: Yes, boss RC-10R is getting lots of use. I use it often when practicing Justin’s lessons. Practicing with drum loops is also more fun than with a plain metronome. I feel it’s improving my timing.

@Coffee119, @sticktothemuse @Notter, @JasonBuk Thank you. :smiley:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you, and happy to hear about whammy bar usage. :slight_smile: That was one of the new things I added to my playing here.

@DavidP Thank you. :slight_smile: I will keep the filters off for videos recorded with the intent of sharing. This one was intended for the private archive that I use to track progress, and ideas and listen back to check what to improve. So to share it, I had to add a filter to hide underwear and other embarrassing things. :grin:

@CT Thank you, much appreciated. You can find more details about my backstory at Kamkor's Learning Log. I learned most stuff from JustinGuitar and continue to learn that way. The Justin way works for me. :smiley: I don’t post often, but I’m working on another post, where I explain my learnings about guitar recording.

@adi_mrok Thank you. :slight_smile: I’m so happy you pointed 00:59 part. I was most happy about it. I was adding some open strings there to add grit, dirt, and intensity. :slight_smile: I guess I need to figure out how to add feedback sound using digital amp. :smiley:

@jkahn Thank you. :slight_smile: That’s a great idea. I’ve noticed that in improvisation I’m often doing ideas that span 8 bars. All these 8 bars are a bit connected but don’t form a story. What you’re saying sounds like the next level to aspire to. I will incorporate that into my guitar practice routine. :metal:

1 Like

Try looking for pedals such as Boss FB-2 (although not in sale anymore so 2nd market is your friend) or Digitech Freqout. I have the boss one and it’s so much fun!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Will be sure to check something like this out. :smiley:

Dude, that was cool!! Loving the tone and vibe, all sounding great from my perspective! :clap: :smiley: Above my play grade so no real advice I can think of but I would love to hear you expand on this into a fuller song, if that is of interest to you? I think you have something there that’s worth exploring deeper :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

@nzmetal Thank you a lot. :slight_smile: I’d love to expand it into a song. That’s one of the reasons I bought Boss RC-10R looper. To get me more into songwriting.

I still struggle to connect all pieces to form a song, but I hope to get there at some point. :slight_smile:

1 Like